[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Printing Imported Styled Mail (All I Get Is HTML Code)

Printing Imported Styled Mail (All I Get Is HTML Code)

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Printing Imported Styled Mail (All I Get Is HTML Code)

Postby clambert11 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:35 am

Yeah, it's me, The Styled Mail guy.

Ok, here is my lasest issue with Styled text and PocoMail.

So I have successfully imported my Eudora Pro mailboxes to PocoMail. When I view one of these messages, everything looks just dandy. My problem, however, seems to appear when I try and print an older imported message. Instead of WYSIWYG, I get the email in HTML code.

Any ideas?

I really want to love PocoMail, but it seems to me they they may have dropped the ball a little when in comes to Styled Text. Even with these sytle issues, I can't seem to pull myself away from it. It really is a nice client. I just hope they address some of these issues in the future.

You should be able to reply to a styled message and still be able to use a quote character. You should be able to cut & paste styled text. Both are concerns I addressed in previous posts.

Not being able to print styled emails properly from another client is somewhat understandable. If it views fine, I would think it should be able to print fine however.

Maybe I'm the only freak using hyperlinks, boldface, italics, colors, and sizes. I tend to doubt it though.

I'm still fresh into my trial period. All this aside, I still think I'll end up buying it.

If someone knows a work-around for printing imported styled emails from Eudora Pro 6.1, please let me know. I didn't find anything when searching the forum.

Many thanks,
Craig
clambert11
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:44 am

Perhaps your best bet to print styled e-mails is to use the 'View in Browser' script and do the printing from your browser.

However I have to say that styled messages print OK for me. This suggests that the message may be malformed. If you right-click in the preview pane and choose 'View raw message' you'll se the underlying code. I expect that you'll find that the HTML is not properly written, that it does not start with <HTML>, which means that Poco wan't know that it is HTML.

Perhaps you could have a look and let us know?
robin

Postby clambert11 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:48 am

robin wrote:However I have to say that styled messages print OK for me. This suggests that the message may be malformed. If you right-click in the preview pane and choose 'View raw message' you'll se the underlying code. I expect that you'll find that the HTML is not properly written, that it does not start with <HTML>, which means that Poco wan't know that it is HTML.

Perhaps you could have a look and let us know?

Ok. Well it appeared you understood my problem was only with the imported mail, but I just wanted to make sure. All PocoMail that is styled prints fine.

Here is what I am seeing...

Below is an imported Eudora Pro 6.1 Email with Styles...

Below is what I see when I go to print the same email...

The email appears to have the proper html tags. I dunno.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig
clambert11
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:57 am

Your message does not have a <HEAD></HEAD> pair after <HTML> and before <BODY>. This may be it, but it depends on how Poco is set up to render such messages and how strict it wants to be.

If it is only imported messages that (presumably) you don't need frequent access to to print then I guess that it is not a big problem. Can you get the sender to send *exactly* the same message again and this time collect it with PocoMail, see what happens?

Barca (and by implication Poco) put the <HEAD> tag in.
Code: Select all
<html>
<head>
<meta name="Generator" content="PSI HTML/CSS Generator"/>
<style type="text/css"><!--
body{font-family:'Tahoma';font-size:10pt;font-color:'#000000';}
LI{display:list-item;margin:0.00in;}
p{display:block;margin:0.00in;}
--></style>
</head>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#F9ECF7" ><p>&nbsp;</p>
</body>
</html>
robin

Postby clambert11 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:49 am

robin wrote:If it is only imported messages that (presumably) you don't need frequent access to to print then I guess that it is not a big problem. Can you get the sender to send *exactly* the same message again and this time collect it with PocoMail, see what happens?

It was actually an email I sent. I pulled it up in Eudora and resent it to myself. I then opened PocoMail to download the message. Everything looked fine both with the email and with the print.

I guess the view in browser is a good fix for now.

Thanks,
Craig
clambert11
Poco Tourist

Postby Slaven » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:58 am

Craig, if you can send me that message to "support1 at pocomail dot com" and I can investigate further. Make sure to forward it with Forward As Attachment and not a regular forward to preserve the message. This option is available under Message menu.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby clambert11 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:58 am

Slaven wrote:Craig, if you can send me that message to "support1 at pocomail dot com" and I can investigate further. Make sure to forward it with Forward As Attachment and not a regular forward to preserve the message. This option is available under Message menu.

I just sent a few different emails. Thank you for taking an interest in this issue.

-- Craig
clambert11
Poco Tourist

Postby frazmi » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:01 pm

clambert11 wrote
If someone knows a work-around for printing imported styled emails from Eudora Pro 6.1, please let me know. I didn't find anything when searching the forum.
This has been a problem for me ever since I switched from Eudora to Poco. Basically, most HTML messages received by Eudora and imported into Poco exhibit this "raw HTML" behavior. I went through a lot of options in trying to strip out the HTML code of messages I really wanted to see in Poco -- Clippy is a good choice for this, and free.

At this point, I just live with the HTML code when I have to go back to a formerly-imported message that I didn't bother to "clean". Maybe someday Poco will be able to show them, too.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To