[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - sending only BCC, Groups and search

sending only BCC, Groups and search

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

sending only BCC, Groups and search

Postby NM » Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:45 pm

I've just started using Poco2.6.4 and have a couple of questions:
1. How can I send to BCC only, without adding anything in the To field (I don't want the list of people visible when an email is received by each person on the list)
2. Can you drag and drop addresses to a create a Group or do I have to try and remember everyone's name and then enter each one manually.
3. Is there a search facility in the Address Book?

Hope someone can help because I want to change from Express to Poco ASAP.
Regards,
NickM
NM
Poco Tourist

Re: sending only BCC, Groups and search

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:14 pm

NM wrote:I've just started using Poco2.6.4 and have a couple of questions:

Where did you get Poco 2.6.4? That's a terribly old release. If someone is still selling that version then they need to be brought up to speed. We are well into the Poco 3 cycle.

NM wrote:1. How can I send to BCC only, without adding anything in the To field (I don't want the list of people visible when an email is received by each person on the list)

Poco requires something in the To field, it doesn't have to be a valid address. I often use a generic name for the list of people. I am the web master for our hiking club and occasionally have to mass mail the membership. When I do I put something like "Club Tread Members" in the "To:" line and then put all the addresses in the "BCC" line. You can also use the split message feature ("Message | Split on Send/Queue") and put all the addresses in the "To" line and set the split level so that there is only one address per message.

NM wrote:2. Can you drag and drop addresses to a create a Group or do I have to try and remember everyone's name and then enter each one manually.

You have to create the group first, then you can drag and drop addresses into it. In Poco 3 this creates linked entries but I don't believe that was an option in Poco 2. I'd also advise checking carefully the first time you do this under Poco 2. You might have to Ctrl+Drag if you want to keep the address as a separate entry in the address book (I don't remember whether this was necessary or not).

NM wrote:3. Is there a search facility in the Address Book?

No, but Poco does offer address auto-complete. In Poco 3 this is on the Address Lookup page of the program options form. I'm not sure where it is in Poco 2 (although it will almost certainly be on one of the program options pages).
Michael

Postby frazmi » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:20 pm

I think Poco does have a search capability in the Address book -- it's at the bottom of the Address Book pane.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby NM » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:35 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.
It seems the old version that I am using is a little limited (I can't do any of the above).
So, now for the next question (seeing as I am into PocoMail for the whole of one day):
For the extra $20 or so should I use Barca for my email - and get the extra features, or are the two programs quite different when it comes to emailing.
Regards,
NickM
NM
Poco Tourist

Postby frazmi » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:47 pm

My take on Barca would be that if you want an email program, stick with Poco (at least for now). I believe the email features of Barca are very similar (almost identical) to Poco's

If you want something more like Outlook (**ugh**) with calendar functions, etc., then you should give Barca a whirl.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:11 pm

As a Barca user, I agree with frazmi - stay with PocoMail if all you want is e-mail. They are both available as trial software anyway so why not try them both out?

As an aside, often e-mails without a To: are regarded as spam, if not by the anti-spam engines then by the recipients themselves.
robin

Postby Alpha » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:58 am

frazmi wrote:My take on Barca would be that if you want an email program, stick with Poco (at least for now). I believe the email features of Barca are very similar (almost identical) to Poco's

If you want something more like Outlook (**ugh**) with calendar functions, etc., then you should give Barca a whirl.

Besides some interface similarities, Barca is nothing like Outlook. Given the later's bloatness, virus issues, closed architecture, and lack of built-in Bayesian filters to say the least. :)
Alpha

Postby frazmi » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:14 am

I agree -- hence my "**ugh**" comment.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To