[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - DESPERATE>> Can not get into Pocomail 2.6

DESPERATE>> Can not get into Pocomail 2.6

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

DESPERATE>> Can not get into Pocomail 2.6

Postby davidwest » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:23 pm

Hi all

have a registered copy of PM for several years Now it is 2.6 vers.

All was well until Friday when I made a new folder and then two new mailboxes inside the folder.

On creating the 2nd box it said some error ..i think about diskspace.

Then i exited PM and went to use it again later and it will NOT let me in:-( :(

It says"pocomail has generated an error and will need to be restarted"

Try and same thing.

Using explore i have deleted the new folder and the .mdx files created but the same thing.

This programme controls my life and this situation is desperate.

Anybody have any clues please? :idea:

Thank You

David
davidwest
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:43 pm

I have not used version 2.6, but I believe there is an import facility in that version.

Re-install your Poco 2.6 in a new folder, preferably on a different disk.

After you have reinstalled, import your messages (probably File | Import) from the old (problem) installation.

That should get all your messages back, unless something terrible has happened to corrupt your message files.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

importing the licence code

Postby davidwest » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:45 pm

Thanks for that

can try that if i have a copy of the programme. Currently in UK travelling with a laptop.

How do i get my licence info back please?

David
davidwest
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:52 pm

I'm not sure where to download version 2.6 -- try searching the forum, as I think there was a post on that, but I'm not sure if it was this new forum or the old one.

As to the license info, Poco might be able to read the license data from the previous (problem) installation. If so, problem solved. If not, then Poco will start fine in evaluation mode. You should be able to find your license information in the email you received from Poco Systems.

If license info is missing from your system, run in eval mode and contact Poco Support.

As another option, download the current 3.1 version, and import your old mail into the new version of the program.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Ongoing:-(

Postby davidwest » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:55 pm

Hi

Have done that and now have an installation on the D drive.

Go to open and the problem has been 'imported ' as well :-(

any more ideas to try please.

Thank You kindly

David
davidwest
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:08 pm

Not a happy situation ! :(

You probably should check your file system to make sure the Poco files (in the failing directory) are not corrupt. Use scandisk or whatever utility you have to verify the integrity of the files.

Then, assuming you still have the original (problem) installation, delete the new installation.

Reinstall Poco, and this time do not import anything. Try to get a minimally working version of the program running. As soon as that happens (e.g., you can send and receive mail, even though you don't have any of your history), save the working configuration.

Then, go to the import menu, and import as little as possible. For example, if you only need mailboxes, just import mail.

If that fails, that is, if you import just your mail and still get the error, then it's probably a bad file in your old directory. Delete the new directory (again) and copy the backup of your working configuration so that it becomes the new working directory. Test to make sure it still works.

Now, working with the old (problem) Poco directory, and assuming you have backed up that directory somewhere, delete the following files in the old (problem) Poco directory:
*.~*
*.idx

The files with the tilde in the names are backup files. The .idx files are index files that Poco will recreate automatically if they are missing.

Try the import process again. If that still fails, I have one more idea.

Good hunting.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

further

Postby davidwest » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:11 am

Hi

OK now have a clean working version of PM on the D drive.

Into PM - File - import.

Offered a few alternatives of files to import but NOT any mention of PM there. Outlook, Eudora, netscape, Pegasus and EML are the options???

If i go browse to my old PM files which should i select?

Thanks

david
davidwest
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:28 am

I think you should select the mbx files -- I'm working without access to a v2.6 installation here. If you can select an mbx file, import one at a time, most important mailboxes first.

As another alternative, you might try copying the mbx files (a few at a time) from the old (problem) directory into the new mail directory. The idea is to do this copying/importing incrementally to try to isolate the mailbox (or other component) that's causing Poco to fail at startup.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Part solved

Postby davidwest » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:14 am

Mr Frazmi

I thank you for all your help and pushing in the right direction 8)

I have dragged the 'mail' folder from the old to the new and for reasons unknown that solved the problem.

Lost my accounts and profiles but 30 minutes to rectify that.

A beer awaits you in Thailand if you ever make it that way

Thanks

David :P
davidwest
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:21 am

Well, David, I'm really pleased things worked out.

Here's a final set of procedures that may prevent future problems... assuming that version 2.6 has the Complress All Mailboxes command (Mailbox menu) -- and I think it does.

Shut down new Poco.
Make a copy of your working directory.
Restart Poco.
Compress all mailboxes.
Check to make sure messages still OK.

Regarding the beer, well, I don't get to Thailand much, but if you ever visit Seoul I'll take you up on that!
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To