[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - choose username by windows account

choose username by windows account

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

choose username by windows account

Postby danotoriousbdp » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:36 am

Is there a way to get Poco to login (on startup) to a user account automatically, based on the windows user account that is currently logged on? I know the users just have to pick their username from a list, but it would be nice if the program recognised them from their windows login. Or maybe there's a startup switch I can add to the desktop shortcut?

Just a thought....
danotoriousbdp
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:50 pm

I think the startup switch you want is /user

I know this switch works for Win2KPro. It is reported to work with XP. I don't know if it works for earlier Windows versions.

In your properties popup for Poco desktop icon, put
Code: Select all
"E:\Poco 1960\Poco.exe" /user George

in the "Start in:" location. All other settings should be left as is.

You should replace my examples with the correct path to the Poco executable and the correct user name. Also, I have not found any way to automatically log in to the "default user" so you need a user name for every person who's going to log in this way.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Pete » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:00 am

frazmi wrote:Also, I have not found any way to automatically log in to the "default user" [...]

Hi Frazmi, FYI, have you seen "Tools > Options > Startup Options > Multi-User Options"?
Pete

Postby danotoriousbdp » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:08 am

Thanks Frazmi, that works perfectly!
danotoriousbdp
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:07 pm

Pete wrote
FYI, have you seen "Tools > Options > Startup Options > Multi-User Options"
Yes... But I could not find any simple way to allow multiple icons, which I think is what danotoriousbdp needed. The option you mention seems only to allow the automatic login to a specific user. Since this information seems to be stored in poco.ini, which is stored in the Poco directory (and not in the Windows user settings) I thought the /user option was more to the point. Did I miss something?
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Pete » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:11 am

My point was that you might be able to login as the Default User from a Windows shortcut by setting those Options that I mentioned and then creating an additional Windows shortcut without the /user switch. I realize now that I didn't explain myself very well before. Sorry about that. :)
Pete

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:01 am

Check out this article in the unofficial FAQ. This avoids having to hard code the user name.
Michael

Postby frazmi » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:23 pm

Michael, wouldn't this depend on having the Poco "user name" be the same as the XP login name? Also, is there anything like this for other Windows versions?
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:17 pm

Yes, the Poco user name must be the same as the windows account but that is logical and would seem to be what the user wanted. This technique might not work on Windows 98/ME, I've avoided those OS's.
Michael

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To