[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Access Violation on deletion of threaded topics

Access Violation on deletion of threaded topics

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Access Violation on deletion of threaded topics

Postby mpersico » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:46 pm

When last we left our heroes, there was a general consensus that PocoMail 3.1.0.1880 had a bug whereby if you tried to delete messages while the mail box pane was in threaded mode, you often (but not alwasy) got access violation popup messages and the mail box pane was hosed until you exited and restarted the app. The problem was described as some type of optimization algorithm run amok.

In the meantime, the website address was changed (so that Check for Update and Web Site items on the help menu failed), the forums appear to have lost my original login (persicom) and I can't find the thread I was watching to see when the bug will be addressed.

Sooooooo, now that the forums are back (and I have a new login), is there an ETA for a new build of PocoMail that will address the threading problem (as well as the Check for Update and Web Site items being updated)?

Thanks.
mpersico

Postby Slaven » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:21 pm

Check for Update should already be fixed; the bug with deleting threads has already been fixed for the next PocoMail update, the beta of which is coming soon. :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby mpersico » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:34 pm

Check for Update is indeed fixed. Thanks. Do you need betas for the thread fix? I'd be willing to bang on it - it's driving me nuts!
mpersico

Postby Slaven » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:04 pm

Yes, you would need the beta - it is not ready yet unfortunately but it is coming soon.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Access Violation Error Messages

Postby DavidMD » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:32 pm

Hello, everyone.

I am evaluating e-mail programs, trying to find a replacement for Outlook XP/2002 (which means that I need Unicode support, and I know this feature is not yet part of PocoMail -- but I send many messages to friends in Odessa, Ukraine, and these messages contain Russian/Cyrillic).

I just downloaded PocoMail 3.1 (Build 1880). I created an account, but then deleted it, which resulted in the error, "Access violation at address 008550FE in module 'POCO.EXE'. Write of address 00000264."

I assume that this access violation is related to the others posted in this discussion.

I am getting ready to wipe my hard drive clean and to perform a "clean install" of Windows XP Professional, so I will continue evaluating e-mail programs after I get Windows set up. (I have also been experimenting with The Bat! and Pegasus Mail; the former supports Unicode, but has horrible technical support, and the latter is free, but offers no technical support and plans for Unicode implementation are not a priority.)

PocoMail seems to be a great program and the technical support appears to be excellent, however! :)

Thanks, everyone!

Cordially,

David
David M. Dickerson
URL: http://ddickerson.igc.org/
"In a world of absurdity, we must invent
reason; we must create beauty out of
nothingness." -- Elie Wiesel
DavidMD
Poco Tourist

Postby frazmi » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:06 am

DavidMD wrote
I assume that this access violation is related to the others posted in this discussion.
I think that might not be a good assumption. There are a couple of situations where Poco generates AVs and they don't seem to be related.

Regarding unicode, I'll be happy when that appears someday, since I get a lot of Korean email.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Access Violations and Unicode

Postby DavidMD » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:57 am

Hello, frazmi!

I am currently comparing PocoMail, The Bat!, and Pegasus Mail.

None of the programs, except PM, has a manual, which is electronic.

None of the programs supports Unicode. I do not think that Pegasus Mail ever will, and I would license the one of the other two programs that will support Unicode first. Of course, I cannot predict the future! :wink:

How do you handle your Korean e-mail, frazmi, with PocoMail's lack of support for Unicode?

Thanks!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- PocoMail, by far, has the best support. As a technical writer (laid off) and a person who actually likes to read documentation, I would love to see PocoMail with a printed or PDF manual. Perhaps I should contact someone at PocoSystems. :idea:
David M. Dickerson
DavidMD
Poco Tourist

Re: Access Violations and Unicode

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:55 pm

DavidMD wrote: I would love to see PocoMail with a printed or PDF manual. Perhaps I should contact someone at PocoSystems. :idea:

The PDF and HTML versions should be posted under the Support menu of our website shortly. Thanks.
Jim

Postby frazmi » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:07 pm

DavidMD wrote
How do you handle your Korean e-mail, frazmi, with PocoMail's lack of support for Unicode?
I can use the view in browser script -- it sometimes works, depending on the fonts the user selected, the encoding scheme, and the phase of the moon. Other times I bounce the message to a Korean Windows system running some other unmentionable email client like LookOut.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Access Violations and Unicode

Postby DavidMD » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:37 am

Hi, Jim!

Jim wrote:The PDF and HTML versions should be posted under the Support menu of our website shortly. Thanks.

I am very pleased that documentation for PocoMail is forthcoming! (I am one of those strange people who actually reads software manuals.) :wink:

Thanks, again!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- If PocoMail supported Unicode, it would definitely become my e-mail client of choice. (I am searching for a replacement of Outlook XP/2002, and I need one that can handle Russian/Cyrillic text and, ideally, has Bayesian spam-filtering of some kind.)
David M. Dickerson
DavidMD
Poco Tourist

Postby DavidMD » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:54 am

Hello, frazmi!

frazmi wrote:I can use the view in browser script -- it sometimes works, depending on the fonts the user selected, the encoding scheme, and the phase of the moon. Other times I bounce the message to a Korean Windows system running some other unmentionable email client like LookOut.

Thank you for your message. If I understand correctly, you view incoming e-mail via your Web browser?

The reason that I am running Outlook 2002/XP is because in automatically encodes and decodes Cyrillic e-mail [KOI-8].

I do not believe that Pegasus Mail ever will support Unicode. The Bat! does not support Unicode either, but I use the KOI-8 character set (as the recipient can see in the message header). Perhaps I could try the same option with PocoMail. :?:

PocoMail is a much better option for me, aside from the Unicode problem. In addition, PocoMail soon will have a user's manual, whereas The Bat! has no manual -- nor is one planned.

When it comes to support and documentation, PocoMail is the perfect alternative for me -- IF I can just figure out how to send and receive e-mail containing Russian/Cyrillic. (I think that PocoMail is a fantastic and impressive e-mail client. It is truly a "winner"!)

If I can get PocoMail to handle Russian text, although I realize that PM lacks Unicode support, I would register it and stop using Outlook XP.

Thanks!

Cordially,

David
David M. Dickerson
DavidMD
Poco Tourist

Postby frazmi » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:30 pm

Your understanding is almost correct. Normally, for most emails, I view them in Poco. However, when I must read the Hangul (Korean) text, then I use the browser. I prefer to stay away from the browser due to the security holes.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

PocoMail and Unicode

Postby DavidMD » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:37 am

Hi, 'fazmi'.

frazmi wrote:Your understanding is almost correct. Normally, for most emails, I view them in Poco. However, when I must read the Hangul (Korean) text, then I use the browser. I prefer to stay away from the browser due to the security holes.

Thank you for the clarification.

I very much want to start using PocoMail, but I have not figured out a workaround for sending or receiving Cyrillic/Russian e-mail.

I have such a workaround for The Bat!, but RITLabs offers little support for their client and no manual whatsoever.

PocoMail is the program that I want to use to replace Outlook, but I realize that no one knows when Unicode support will be implemnented.

Cordially,

David
David M. Dickerson
DavidMD
Poco Tourist

Postby frazmi » Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:16 pm

One little update, already noted in another thread, but perhaps you missed it, is that I now open Word instead of IE. That is, I still use the "View in Browser" script, but I tell the script that Word is my browser. This gives me better results, and I can also resize, reformat, and print the results much easier.

Still no workaround for replying or composing in unicode text. Maybe somebody has that locked up?
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby tallcangal » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:58 pm

One sort of temporary "workaround" until the support exists in PM would be a bit of a pain but would work.

You could always compose the message in word in unicode and attach it to your email message as an attachment.

Sloppy? Yes. Will it work? Yes. Now for the decision... ;)
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To