[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Attachments not deleted when trash is emptied

Attachments not deleted when trash is emptied

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:35 pm

I do not run with Administrator privs, so writing inside Program Files is a problem

I'm wondering if there could be some weird NTFS permissions thing going on. I suspect the vast majority of Poco users do run with admin privileges. If there is a problem in either Poco, PocoScript, or ZA, that could explain why you see something with consistency most of the rest of us don't see.

As you probably know, it is possible for a program to deny delete permission to a file. But since I presume you always run under a single win-userid, and you can delete these files via other means, delete can't be denied to that id. BUT SIDs can be tricky.

I have found many programs will not operate properly with limited privileges -- even big ones like Quickbooks.

BTW, I note that att0.txt type files are often related to spam. Since those msgs do not go to Trash in the normal fashion, it is possible those attachments are not getting deleted. I know when I do see some "excess files" in the attachment folder, they are almost always of that type.
Sandy

Results so far...

Postby gert » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:55 pm

I turned off the "stop processing this message" step in my filter.
I am now (temporarily) running with admin privs.

Just received 4 virus emails that were automatically treated by ZoneAlarm (moved to trash by my filter).
Did a "Compress all mailboxes".
Did a "MailBox -> Empty Trash"
changed the selected folder a few times (I only keep "New Mail" open).
Did a "Compress mailbox" on my trash can
changed the selected folder a few times.

The 4 attachments are still in my Attach folder.

I will later try the suggestion of Pete:
send myself a message with a short filename attached,
another with a long filename attached
and make sure the same filter will move those 2 messages to the trash.

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:39 am

Code: Select all
I turned off the "stop processing this message" step in my filter.
I am now (temporarily) running with admin privs.

Just received 4 virus emails that were automatically treated by ZoneAlarm (moved to trash by my filter).
Did a "Compress all mailboxes".
Did a "MailBox -> Empty Trash"
changed the selected folder a few times (I only keep "New Mail" open).
Did a "Compress mailbox" on my trash can
changed the selected folder a few times.

Nice work! Looks like you are definitely on the track of some sort of conflict btwn Poco and ZA. Now that you are on admin privileges there ought to be a lot of Poco users in your same boat (i.e., using ZA); I wonder if any of them are seeing what you see??
Sandy

Previous

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To