[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Cleaning up the Attach folder?

Cleaning up the Attach folder?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Cleaning up the Attach folder?

Postby schekker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:27 am

I have the impression that Poco allows you to delete messages without deleting the associated attachments in the Attach folder.

As I have been using PocoMail for years I now have over 6000 files in my Attach folder, while my total email message count is around 4400, and most messages don't even have attachments.

So is there a way to clean up the Attach folder, removing all attachments which are no longer referenced by a message in one of my mailboxes?
schekker
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:45 pm

I presume you are meaning "is there a way to clean up the Attach folder, removing all attachments which are no longer referenced by a message in any of my mailboxes?".

There is no native way of doing this. You might be able to do something with a script but it would be a complex process to run as you would have to go through each mailbox selecting all the messages and running the script. Thus you would need to run the script once per mailbox plus at least two additional times (at the start to build the list and then at the end to display it).

I have the startings of a script to do this but it is by no means complete and would require you to do some work to get it finished.
Michael

Postby schekker » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:25 am

Oh well, one or any... :oops:

Cleaning up in such a cumbersome way might be worth the effort, but I'm a bit afraid that it will only be a temporary cleanup. If I delete a message, PocoMail asks me whether I want to delete the attached messages. If I empty a mailbox (my junkmailbox for instance), no such questions are asked.

I thought about just properly exporting all messages to another client, that would allow me to just empty the Attach folder altogether. But just moving all messages to an IMAP server might already be enough. Have to wait for Poco4 to really try that out, though.
schekker
Drop-in Visitor

Postby schekker » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:06 am

Well, a kind soul sent me a small program to clean up my Attach folder and I must say I'm really amazed at the amount of garbage PocoMail is leaving behind, more than 98% of the files there were no longer referenced by email messenges. And yes, this is an issue for me as PocoMail insists on backing up all those garbage files as well if it does its regular backup.

I'm thinking about enabling the option 'When receiving attachments, leave attachments encoded inside the message'. Will that indeed solve my problems? And how do I get the existing messenges to re-encode their attachments? Would moving all email to an IMAP server help here?
schekker
Drop-in Visitor

Postby roujesky » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:49 am

Shekker:
Can you post that script for everyone? It seems I have a VERY large attachments directory also.

thanx
roujesky
Drop-in Visitor

Postby schekker » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:47 am

It is not my script and therefore it is not up to me to decide. I'll leave it to the original author whether he wants to post it, or doesn't want to be bothered with all kind of support questions :wink:

But I'm sure he won't object if I email it to you directly, just sent me a PM with the address I should email it to.
schekker
Drop-in Visitor

Postby gert » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:48 am

Well it is not a script, but an executable.
It scans all messages in all your mailboxes and your "attach" folder. All attachments that are not referenced by an email are moved to c:\PocoOrphanAttach. You can examine those attachments there, and decide which you want to keep, and which you want to delete.

I run it once a month after compressing all mailboxes (and closing poco).

I never had a "false" hit (and I use it for more than a year now). Most of the orphan attachments seem to come from filters and scripts that move message around.

Contact me at gertrijs at planet dot nl if you want it, or PM "schekker" (I don't often visit this forum).

Gert
gert
Poco Tourist

Postby cussuol » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:13 pm

I have this problem too.

Is there any way i can get that gert program to clean up the attach folder?

Thank You.
cussuol
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:11 am

cussuol wrote:Is there any way i can get that gert program to clean up the attach folder?

Not sure...I don't know about any other way besides the contacting options outlined by Gert himself in his earlier post in this thread.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Kaigan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:04 pm

cussuol wrote:I have this problem too.

Is there any way i can get that gert program to clean up the attach folder?

Thank You.

I found the copy I had requested. I can send it to you if you wish. PM me with an address.

Pete
Kaigan
Poco Enthusiast

Postby karri » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:38 am

A problem I've run into with the attachments directory retaining all these darned attachments is that you also retain viruses contained therein, apparently even from stuff that (I think) has been qualified as junk :shock:

When I ran my avast! last night it found all kinds of viruses and guess where the lion's share of them were? In my Barca attachments folder. Yikes.
Karri Flatla, Internet Marketing Consultant
snap! virtual associates inc.
http://www.snap-va.com
karri
Drop-in Visitor

Postby drjamie03 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:02 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I could really use some help cleaning up my attach folder too. How can I get the program, or some type of script? I have deleted the old emails, but the attachments from years ago are still in the attach folder.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Mon May 11, 2009 7:18 am

drjamie03 wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I could really use some help cleaning up my attach folder too. How can I get the program, or some type of script? I have deleted the old emails, but the attachments from years ago are still in the attach folder.
Can't you sort on date, so you'll know which ones you may delete?

Or run a scan with your antivirus on that particular folder, so those can be quarantined. :)

Don't know anything about a script which could delete those attachments, since the messages are no longer present. :?
Eric

Postby Sandy » Mon May 11, 2009 7:58 am

There are reasons (some might call them problems) in Pocomail for orphaned attachments to pile up.

First, in some circumstances (which I've never been able to pin down), Poco does not ask to delete attachments when a msg in the Inbox is deleted -- therefore the msg gets deleted, but any attachments do not (this behavior has been reported on several occasions in the past).

Second, if you save a msg into another mailbox from the Inbox, any attachments remain in the attachment folder for as long as you save the msg (just as you would want them to). It is for this reason the Eric's suggestion of deleting by date will not solve the problem.
Sandy

Postby drjamie03 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:05 am

And actually, my problem is not related to having a virus in the attachments folder. I am just trying to slim down Barca, and there are many attachments that I have no desire to save. I hope the only way to do this is NOT one by one, because that could take a very long time.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To