[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Migrating from Poco?

Migrating from Poco?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Migrating from Poco?

Postby dumbo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:49 pm

Migrating from Poco to Mozilla Thunderbird does not seem as easy as pocosystems claim with their "generic" mail format.
First of all you have to convert the mailbox files from DOS format (LF+CR) to unix format (LF). Ok, that's pretty easy if you're familiar with an average hex editor or similar.
Then the mails display properly in Thunderbird allright. But all the attachents are GONE. No sight of them what so ever.

I don't blame poco for this, since I'm not aware of if this is because of poco or thunderbird. But I would very much like to know if anyone has the solution for this, since I don't really like where pocomail is developing (or not), and haven't done so since Pocomail 3, which I don't like that much, was released.
Since both are uing the same mail format, RFC822(?), one would think that the migration should be seamless.
dumbo
Drop-in Visitor

Postby bjawnie » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:04 pm

Hi,

I am experiencing some freezing problems with PocoMail and have tried a lot of different solutions here from the forum, but since none have worked I have now had to go look for other mail clients.

I have just downloaded and installed TB and had no problems what so ever with exporting from PocoMail and importing them in TB. Couldnt have been easier.
bjawnie
Drop-in Visitor

Postby dumbo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:11 pm

Do your attachents "come along" as well?

Neither the ones that are embedded in the mailbox (since the time I used OE) and the ones in the attachments folder (since using Eudora and pocomail) are showing up.

I would not like to have to mail clients just to be able to "check in" on old mails and their attachments, which would be hard to find if there is no link between the actual mail and the attachment.
dumbo
Drop-in Visitor

Postby bjawnie » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:31 pm

Hi,

I never download attachments to the computer so I wouldnt know.

I just exported my mailbox/address list to Eudora format and imported them in TB. Worked as a charm.
bjawnie
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:33 am

dumbo, I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving the Poco world... However, I would like to offer a pair of scripts that might help you reattach your attachments. If you are moderately comfortable with scripting and filters, you might find these helpful.

Please see this post in the Scripting forum.

Note: The 2 scripts assume you are doing everything in Poco. You might be able to just send the messages from Poco and then read them in your new client.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby dumbo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:32 am

I will give your script a try. Allthough i think that the attachments allready embedded in the mailbox file should appear in thunderbird, since I have a bunch of these too.

Is there no way to automate the process? You write that you have to pick an attachment from the attachments folder etc.
That would like, take forever. I have hundreds of attachments.

Now I sound just like a whiner who complains about everything, but I really appreciate all help I can get and I'll give the scripts a try.

BTW: I'm not 100% certain that I will leave pocomail for good, but since I don't really like what it's become(ing) I would like to look around what other allternatives are available, and Thunderbird seems quite intresting.
dumbo
Drop-in Visitor

Postby dumbo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:48 am

I noticed that the embedded attachments DO show in Thunderbird, but you will have to open the mail before it notices there is an attachment, so if the other attachments will be embedded, with the scripts above it will work.
dumbo
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:53 pm

dumbo, you could modify the script to look for the attachment header. If present, it will look something like this:
X-Poco-Attachment: E:\Poco 1880\Attach\correction2of2.doc

I would do it, but I don't have time right now, unfortunately.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby dumbo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:45 pm

It's okay. I don't expect to get EVERYTHING served. :-) I think I could manage to modify the script, even though it was quite some time since a last wrote anything i pocoscript.

One thought though. Wouldn't it work just to redirect/bounce the mail to yourself/myselft? Or have I overlooked something?
I don't know if that is possible to do with one simple command in pocoscript though. I guess I'll have to look into that.
dumbo
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:12 am

It should work to bounce message to self, but in my testing that failed for two reasons. First, my ISP complained that I should not send a message to myself that had already been delivered to myself -- basically they thought it was spam.

Second, I could not get Poco to actually attach the message in that scenario. I don't know why.

In any event, I played around with a lot of combinations before I got something that worked. As an engineer, I then declared "problem solved -- optimizations possible."
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby alcdotcom » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:24 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem. I've tried everything (short of manually running the script on my thousands of messages). I installed Eudora just to see if it was Thunderbird that was the problem, but the messages were also without attachments in Eudora. So this is a Pocomail problem - a BIG one. The main reason I switched to Poco was so I wouldn't have to go through an ordeal if I ever wanted to migrate. I was just testing other email programs before, but now I have a good reason to switch. Anyone else have any insight on how to get around this? Preferably something that doesn't require an intimate knowledge of Pocoscript.
alcdotcom
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:48 pm

alcdotcom, in Poco, do you leave attachments encoded in the message, or do you save them to the separate Attachments folder?

If the former, then the attachments are still in the message. Importing into Eudora or Thunderbird should work.

If the latter, then the attachments are no longer in the message. You have to do something to get them reattached. It might be nice if Poco had such a function built in, but the scripts I wrote do the job just fine and don't really require that much effort to use -- certainly not an "intimate knowledge" of PocoScript language. You need to add them to your script folder (try Tools | Script | Edit | New Script, paste the text into the script editor, then save the script.)

Regarding your comment that this is a BIG Pocomail problem, I really don't agree. As I said, it would be nice if Poco directly supported the migration to other mail clients, but that's really not Poco's responsibility, IMO. If it were impossible to migrate, because of proprietary message format, then I think it would be reasonable to call it a big problem. As it is, it's an annoyance, perhaps, but one with a reasonable work-around.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Migrating from Poco?

Postby Xaz » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:31 am

dumbo wrote:...since I don't really like where pocomail is developing (or not), and haven't done so since Pocomail 3, which I don't like that much, was released.

What are your fears on where pocomail is developing? Do you find Pocomail 3 so different to 2.6?
Xaz
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To