[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Missing Mail

Missing Mail

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Missing Mail

Postby KAC » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:10 pm

I've been running Pocomail for quite a long while and this is the first time I've had problems with missing messages. I've read the other threads about possible problems with AV software scanning the Poco directory but as I've got mine set to scan only exe's and dll's etc I don't think that is the problem, as a precaution I've excluded the Poco directory from being scanned.

I first started losing messages after I installed SP2, so whether that has something to do with it I don't know. Last week I opened Poco and noticed that all the messages downloaded this month had gone so I restored my daily backup and everything was fine until yesterday when the same thing happened again. After restoring the backup again I noticed that a lot of previously deleted messages had returned to my mailbox, so I deleted about 20 of them and closed Pocomail. When I restarted it my message count dropped from about 150 messages to 7! :shock:

After another restore I decided to try and compress the mailbox to see if that would fix whatever is wrong and it doesn't, instead I lose all the messages downloaded this month again.

Help!
KAC
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:08 pm

It's not immediately clear what's happening, but it sounds like there might be a cumulative problem with your backup-restore process. That is, it sounds like you made a backup when a problem existed (even if you were not aware of it), and upon restoring from that backup copy, the problem is re-introduced. (The re-appearance of previously deleted messages says that the mailbox file was archived before a compression was done -- otherwise, the mbx file would have been "compressed" to physically delete the messages that have just been marked "deleted."

A couple of question remain in my mind:
1) What version of Poco are you using? Version 3.1 is better at handling compression than previous versions.

2) How did you back up your mailboxes?

Some thoughts for the future:
1) Upgrade to version 3.1 if you are not already there.

2) I prefer not to use the internal Poco backup/restore functions (just my preference) but rather make ZIP files of the mail directory. Before zipping, I make sure to compress all mailboxes and to exit Poco.

3) If you have a lot of critical mail, I'd suggest saving it in smaller mailboxes, perhaps organized by date. Once these archive boxes are "shut" or "frozen" a backup (using ZIP file, for example) is always known to be good.

Finally, as to getting the lost messages back, I'd suggest using a text editor to scan your various mbx files to see if you can find missing messages. If so, make a copy of the mbx, change its name, and drag it into the Poco directory. Next time you start Poco, it will index and display that mailbox. You can find the messages you want to keep, drag them to a "real" mailbox, then delete the temporary mailbox.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby KAC » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:02 am

I've managed to get it sorted out, why it worked I'm not really sure. I did the renaming the mbx thing but I still lost this months messages when I accessed the new temp mailbox.

In the end I ended up creating a new mailbox to copy the messages to, from that I deleted all the really old messages before compressing both the new and the old mailboxes before moving the messages back.

Everything seems to be fine now, thanks for you help.
KAC
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To