[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Junk Mailbox

Junk Mailbox

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Hogyt » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:23 pm

It's a bit unspecific because i thought all filters were broken? Can you give me an example of one that works with events Pete and i'll look into it a bit more closely. I've got a few scripts that fire off fine but so far not a single filter :? I agree the more specific the bug report is the better!
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Hogyt » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:40 pm

The Archive Old Mail script is in some respects similar to a standard filter (it works with selected messages) so i'm not sure scripts per se are broken, more of some mechanism is broken that deals with the selecting of messages.

Does anyone have any filters which work do with events, or any scripts (that don't rely on messages being selected) which don't work with events?
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Pete » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:24 am

Regarding automatically running scripts, as you mentioned, Mat, I believe that the core problem here is that PocoScript is not capable of selecting messages.

So, any script that relies on selected messages implicitly relies on the user always selecting the correct messages before running the script. If you put such a script in an OnStart or OnQuit event, then you're asking for trouble, in my opinion, because it would be too easy for the user to forget to select messages beforehand with the OnQuit event and completely impossible to do with the OnStart event. At the least, with the OnQuit event, the script should prompt the user to ask if he remembered to select the appropriate mailbox and if he remembered to select the appropriate messages in that mailbox and if he wants to run the script. To me, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Ever since I started using PocoMail, people have been asking for a way to automatically archive or delete old messages without any user intervention and the answer has always been, "You can't do this with PocoMail." And as Eric said near the beginning of this topic, you still can't. There are ways to do it manually: (1) you can do it on a per-mailbox basis by selecting the desired mailbox and the desired messages in that mailbox and running the archive script or (2) you might be able to do it by using the Search command and then processing all of the found messages in the Search mailbox (I've never tried to archive messages this way and I don't know what would happen if, for example, you tried to move the found messages to another mailbox, because the Search mailbox contains only links and not the actual messages -- the answer is left as an exercise for the reader). :)

There's already an enhancement request in Bug Traction to give PocoScript the ability to select messages (as you know, Mat, because part of it is yours) -- it's #977. Until PocoScript can select mailboxes and messages, or until PocoMail has a built-in archive facility, there will be no completely automatic way to do this.

If the OnStart event has not been implemented in PocoMail yet, or if it does not fire scripts and/or filters, then we could put the specific things that are not working in bug report #1131. If not, however, then I think that we should close #1131.

Regarding events that use filters, here's a screenshot of some that work very well with the OnDisplay event on my computer. I've been using these reliably for many months:
Pete

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:34 am

Pete wrote: (I've never tried to archive messages this way and I don't know what would happen if, for example, you tried to move the found messages to another mailbox, because the Search mailbox contains only links and not the actual messages -- the answer is left as an exercise for the reader)
Moving messages from the Search to another Mailbox, moves the original messages to their new location. :D
Eric

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:43 am

I didn't mention a third possible way to manually archive/delete messages. It's basically like using the archive script, but perhaps this could also be done using one of the four manual filter sets instead.
Pete

Previous

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To