[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Junk Mailbox

Junk Mailbox

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Junk Mailbox

Postby Mr_Palmer » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:57 am

Is there a way of having the Junk Mailbox automatically delete messages that are a week old?

Filing that is there a way of adding an icon to the button bar that will empty the Junk mailbox?

Any help gratefully appreciated,

Mr P.
Mr_Palmer
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Junk Mailbox

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:50 am

Hi Mr_Palmer & welcome to Poco Forum. :D
Mr_Palmer wrote:Is there a way of having the Junk Mailbox automatically delete messages that are a week old?
:roll: At present this is not possible.
Filing that is there a way of adding an icon to the button bar that will empty the Junk mailbox?
A script for example for archiving old messages could be used and a user action button assigned to the toolbar.
Or you could use this script: clearmailbox.poc
Scripts can be found here.
You'll need your registration key to download the scripts.

I hope this helps! :wink:
Eric

Postby frazmi » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:31 pm

Here's an idea that does perhaps 75% of what you want -- not totally flexible, but perhaps enough. Basic idea: Create a filter that runs at Poco startup. The filter looks at Junk mailbox for messages more than a week old, and deletes them.

Details:
1) On the menu bar, select Tools | Events (or Ctrl-F9)

2) Click either the "Quit" shortcut (if you want the junk to be deleted when you exit Poco) or the "Startup" icon (if you want junk to be deleted when you start Poco).

3) Assuming you clicked the "Startup" icon, then you should see "Application starting [OnStart]" in the first display box. Click on "New Event".

4) In the popup called "Edit Event" select "Run this filter" from the Event action drop-down list.

5) Check the box Run only for specific mailbox, then select "Junk Mail" from the drop down list. (The Junk Mail folder is usually the second from the last entry, irrespective of alphabetical ordering.)

6) Click the "Setup" button. In the popup data entry box, make the settings look as below. (Bold text is your input. Most of the entries default to the correct values. Bold and red signify things you probably will have to change from the default.)

Filter messages for all accounts
Matching all characters
Search Received before
For Last week
Perform delete
then
this message

Click OK on the filter create dialog, then OK on the Edit Event dialog, and finally OK on the Events dialog.

This should automatically delete junk mail received more than one week ago.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby vamp07 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:09 pm

I just tried this. It did not work as a timed event or as a startup or quit event. I have other timed event so I know that event type should work.
vamp07
Frequent Visitor

Postby Mr_Palmer » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:06 am

Well I've just tried both the suggestions and not had too much luck.

The Script will run fine, but because of the bug which means that the Compress Folder generates a GPF, it means you still have to do this manually, so I'm no better off unfortunately.

If the script was able to trigger the menu command 'Empty Junk Mailbox', that would be sweet.

Altho the filter looked promising, when I copied an old message into Junk then tried running the filter it wouldn't delete it.
I also tried running the filter manually on the selected message and it still refused to delete it.

Maybe there's some kinda bug in the filtering system?

Thanks for the help so far...
Mr_Palmer
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:09 am

Mr_Palmer wrote:Well I've just tried both the suggestions and not had too much luck.
:roll: What about the script to archive old mail? It's included in Pocomail.
Eric

Postby Mr_Palmer » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:28 am

Well I must be doing something wrong, cos that doesn't seem to work either.

I've tried copying an old message into the Junk folder then running the script manually and also by creating an event which runs the script on the Junk mailbox, but the old message remains.
Mr_Palmer
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:53 am

Mr_Palmer wrote:Well I must be doing something wrong, cos that doesn't seem to work either.
No, you're not doing anything wrong. Just tried it myself and the script doesn't fire anymore. :?
In previous versions it however worked.
:idea: Someone more experienced with scripts could take a look at it and tell us why it doesn't work.
Eric

Postby frazmi » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:52 pm

I could have sworn it used to work, but I'm also unable to get the filter to run at startup :oops:

It also fails even when selecting messages and running the filter manually. However, the following change to the filter does work when running manually (but still not on the Startup event).

Filter messages for all accounts
Matching all characters
Search Received after
For Last week
Perform delete
[x] Match only if not found
then
this message

Frustrating... but thanks to all who tried my [apparently non-working] approach.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Mr_Palmer » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:50 am

Hmm, it does rather appear that Poco has some issues in this area.

I do like the new Junk mail filters they are jolly decent at dealing with spam.

Tis a shame it can't limit the junk mailbox automatically. :(
Mr_Palmer
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Hogyt » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:50 am

Have the problems with filters and events been added to Bug Traction? I had a quick search and couldn't see them. It'd be great to get these problems sorted :D
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:00 am

Hogyt wrote:Have the problems with filters and events been added to Bug Traction? I had a quick search and couldn't see them. It'd be great to get these problems sorted :D
No Mat, the problem was not entered yet in Bug Traction, as far as I can tell.
If I find some time to do it, I'll do it. For the moment I'm busy with designs in PSP for my work, but don't let that stop you to enter it yourself. :wink:
Eric

Postby Hogyt » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:01 am

Sure i'll do it! Consider it done, i'll edit this post with the # in a minute.

Edit: Bug #1131

Edit Eric: Added link to Bug Traction.
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:27 am

Thanks, Mat. :wink:
I've edited your post to insert the link.
Eric

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:16 pm

Hi Mat, I think that you might want to make your bug report much more specific. I have several filters and scripts that are started by PocoMail's events that successfully run all of the time.

If PSI sees that report, they might want to know (without needing to read this somewhat confusing forum topic):

1) Which events are not working?
2) Are there particular filters or scripts that don't work with those events or do none work?
3) etc.

It's up to you, though, of course. :)
Pete

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To