[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco reboots PC when checking mail!

Poco reboots PC when checking mail!

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco reboots PC when checking mail!

Postby barryb » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:37 pm

Hi,

running latest version of Poco 3.1.0.1880 which has been working great until I upgraded my processor to an Athlon XP3200+ (was previously 2400+)

Now when I check my mail it reboots the system! Windows XP SP1

I have tried all the things like disabling A/V, firewall etc. I set-up Opera to check my accounts with everything AV etc enabled and it is OK, games (DOOM3 ;D ) etc are OK web browsing / IM OK.

Is there an issue with Poco and 3200+ (400Mhz FSB) Athlons?

Please advise as I rate Poco as one of the best clients I have yet used and I have tried a few (The Bat, Eudora, Thunderbird etc)

Regards,

Barry
barryb
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:31 am

I'd strongly suggest checking to make sure your video, network, modem and printer drivers are the most current for XP SP1.

If you changed processor type (as opposed to just getting a faster CPU of the same type) I'm assuming that you rebuilt your system (i.e., reinstalled XP) after changing the processor.

Also, if you've done all of the above, you could try reducing the level of hardware acceleration in your video card, and/or running at a lower video resolution.

You could also try checking email a different way. (View mail on server versus regular download.) Are you using IMAP?

As a test, have you tried running Poco when you were certain it was the only running application?

Any of these can cause wierd problems. Personally, I don't think that changing to the Athlon per se should cause Poco to crash XP.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby barryb » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:07 am

Hi,

Everything is as up to date as it gets! ;) The processor was a speed hike but it also uses an increased FSB.

All hardware is running std (no overclocking at all) and as it was just same type of processor albeit faster it was just a case of popping it in and booting up.

What I was wondering is there anyone here that has a 3200+ and is having no problems?

I will try like you suggest with IMAP and leaving mail on the server (my account settings is currently pop3). Poco starts ok, it's only checking mail that causes the reboot!!

It is the strangest thing, and like I said Opera can check my mail OK!

Cheers
barryb
New Arrival

Postby Hogyt » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:21 am

That sounds very odd! Are there any clues in the Event Viewer? (in Control Panel->Administrative Tools)
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby barryb » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:44 am

Hi,

found the problem!

Of my 3 accounts one had 2 e-mails that appear to be somehow corrupted.

I tried IMAP and it wouldn't even entertain the thought of looking at them!

One quick access to my mail via webmail and 2 swift deletes later all was well :). Strangely enough firefox could open them up!?!

Anyway they are gone now, and thanks for the replies, Frazmi put me on the trail :D

Cheers
barryb
New Arrival

Postby frazmi » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:56 am

If the emails are still in your webmail trash folder, then PSI might want to take a look at them.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To