[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Lock-up or freeze while composing message

Lock-up or freeze while composing message

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Lock-up or freeze while composing message

Postby pm241 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:49 am

With no special pattern of occurrence (i.e., it doesn't happen every time I open PocoMail), PocoMail 3.1 locks up while I am composing a message. In the lower left-hand corner of the screen are the words "Preparing the message." The length of time of the lockup varies; sometimes it is as short as 12 seconds, other times 45 seconds. The lockup doesn't occur *every* time I compose a message, but it can occur several times during a long message.

I'm running Windows ME on a 400 MHz Pentium II, w/ ZoneAlarm Pro v. 4.5, Symantec's Norton SystemWorks 2003 w/ virus scanning of both incoming and outgoing messages.

Can anyone shed light on what is causing this lockup? It makes writing messages a very frustrating experience.

Thanks,

Maury
pm241
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:57 am

Does it happen *while* you are in the middle of composing the message or when you press the Send button?

You could try disabling virus scanning of the dictionary files used by Poco, or turning off spell checking - it may be that Poco is trying to spell check the message and Norton is virus checking it every time the dictionary is opened.
robin

Postby pm241 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:32 pm

Thanks, Robin, for the suggestions.

The lock-up can happen while composing. It can also happen as soon as I press the Queue or Send button.

I have noticed, when running Vopt to defragment my drives, the defragging process is stopped and then restarted after a message appears saying "Another program is running...." or something to that effect. The delay is very short, however, maybe 2 seconds. I don't know if this gives any clue about the Poco freeze, though.

I seem to remember that my problem (or one similar to it) was treated on one of the PocoMail forums many months ago, but I can't find any reference to those threads now.

To try your suggestions, I turned off "Check spelling as you type" and "Spell-check on sending mail." Is this what you meant for me to do? The problem still occurred.
pm241
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:26 pm

Yes - that is what I meant you to do.

Can you try turing VOpt off for a while and see if that makes any difference?

The reason I am suggesting that is that, while reviewing the logs for my KAV5, I noticed a lot of accesses to some of the spelling files adn each of these accesses was scanned by KAV thus putting a delay in. I wonder if when Poco finds the file is in use by another process when it tries to spell check or to use spell-as-you-type that it pauses or waits.

Let us know what happens.

You are right - there was a lot of discussion about this in the old forums but they are not available at the moment.
robin

Postby pm241 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:10 am

Robin, I set PocoMail not to spell check, either as I type or before sending the message. The freeze problem still occurred.

Vopt is a very old defragmenter utility that I like. I'm using the latest version of it, which is appropriate for 2000, ME, and XP. It doesn't run in the background; rather I invoke it when I want to defrag. I mentioned the hiccup in the defragging process to indicate that there seems to be some interfering program inserting itself into the defragging process, uninvited. I meant to suggest that perhaps a similar interfering program was causing PocoMail's freezing problem, just as you are implying.

As I remember, the threads that are now unavailable suggested the presence of some strange file that could cause the freezing. When I searched at that time, I couldn't find that file on my computer, and I continued to have the freeze problem.

I have a utility called Process Viewer, which I have never used. Perhaps I could set it to watch the processes and give me some information about the intruder. I have no idea how to use this utility, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your suggestions.
pm241
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:46 am

Another thought - Maury - do you have timed checks turned on in PocoMail - could be that the system locks while it is trying to check e-mail, perhaps while waiting for a reponse from the server.

Sorry for the scatter-gun approach but this is not something that has an easy answer to hand!
robin

Postby pm241 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:09 am

Sure enough, Robin, I *did* have Timed checks turned on. I just now turned it off, and the Check mail option is not enabled, as well. I had never noticed these boxes, probably because I don't have a working sound system in this computer.

My status at the moment is:

No Timed checks
No Check mail
No Check spelling as you type
No Spell-check on sending mail

and the lock-up problem still occurs.

Hey, scatter-guns can be effective. I appreciate your efforts.
pm241
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:50 am

pm241 wrote:and the lock-up problem still occurs.
Ahhh...goes away into corner and scratches head for inspiration...... :roll:
robin

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To