[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Show only address in To field

Show only address in To field

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Show only address in To field

Postby paolo » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:03 pm

Hi everybody

Is there a way to show only the address (without its name) in the to Field ?

I am sending an e.mail to a group of persons.

I queue and set 1 when the program asks me to split the message

So now I have all listed in the out box and sorted by name

I can't see if there are double addresses, in fact I can't sort by address, there is always the name before the address.

And maybe I have the same address with different names

Is there a way to check for double addresses in the address book ?

Thanks

Paolo
paolo napoleoni
paolo
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:19 am

Hi Paolo,
Paolo wrote:Is there a way to show only the address (without its name) in the to Field ?
Do you mean in the index columns? If so, take a look in Options. I suppose you checked the box to only show the names. :roll: Can't look it up, because I'm at work.
Is there a way to check for double addresses in the address book ?
You can always open your address book(s) in Excel, so you can sort on any field you like, to see if there are doubles.

I hope this helps you. :wink:
Eric

Re: Show only address in To field

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:02 am

paolo wrote:Is there a way to check for double addresses in the address book ?

There are a couple of ways of doing this (short of writing a script which could be done if someone has the time). The builtin methods are:
  1. Open the address book (Tools | Address book) and then click on the "EMail" column to sort by email address. Scan the list for duplicates.
  2. If you are wanting to check an individual address for duplicates you can use the "Report on Address" function. Right click on the address in a message and select "Report on Address" this will produce a form listing all the address books (if any) in which the address is found. I'm not sure what will be displayed if an address is duplicated in the same address book.
Michael

Postby frazmi » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:02 am

I think you want to look at the Message Index Pane for the Out mailbox, and display just the email address (without the name). So if you have "foo bar" <foobar @ somewhere.net> you just want to see foobar @somewhere.net. If that's correct, then here's a little script that kills the "foo bar" part of the To field, leaving just the foobar@ somewhere.net part.

Unfortunately, it's destructive -- that is, the To field is permanently changed by the script. However, you can now sort on the To field, and immediately see any duplicate email addresses.

To run it, you just select all the messages in the Out box (after you've done the split message function), then run the script on the selected messages.

Here it is:
Code: Select all
ReadHeader $To "To" %message
ExtractEmail $To

ClearTo %message
AddTo %message $To
DeleteMessage %message
SaveMessage %message "Out.mbx"
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby frazmi » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:15 am

I decided to post an enhancement request on this topic, since it's something that bugs me about Poco (not a "bug" -- it just bugs me). I often want to see the email address, and not the name of my contact. There's an option to show only the name, but not an option to show only the email. So I added Enhancement 1130.

Text of the enhancement request is:
I'd like to add the option "Suppress names in the From and To columns" -- or "Show only email address in the From and To columns."

And while I'm being greedy, how about "Reverse Name and Email positions." This last idea would display From and To like this:
<foobar@somewhere.net> "Foo Bar"
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby frazmi » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:57 pm

Back to the original question,
Is there a way to show only the address (without its name) in the to Field?
I'm really endebted to paolo for asking this question, because it prompted me to write this script. It uses the Custom Column feature of Poco.

As a result, I now have two new columns in my Message Index Pane, one showing the nickname I have assigned to my contacts, and the other showing the raw email address.

I have many contacts who send me email from many locations, and it's been a manual process up to now to cluster all their messages together. With this script, I can just sort on the Nickname.

And many other people send me messages with double-byte characters in their quoted name, which in Poco MIP shows up as "*4R0(O:" or similar garbage. Now, I just see their email address.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To