[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail as Default Mailer, Outlook Receive MAPI Requests?

Pocomail as Default Mailer, Outlook Receive MAPI Requests?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pocomail as Default Mailer, Outlook Receive MAPI Requests?

Postby J-Mac » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:43 am

Open question:

Pocomail is currently (for now) set as my default email application. However, as you all no doubt know, Pocomail will not allow MAPI requests.

Like when another application has the option to directly send a message from within that program. Or if you were to right click on a document, like a Word or Excel document. Or right-click on a file in Windows Explorer. You see a "Send To" or "Email this Document" item in the context menu. This will only work if your default email program allows it to receive such requests. Pocomail does not.

Other email programs that are considered to be very secure often allow you to set them as the Simple MAPI Request Handler, but I do not think that we will ever see this functionality in Pocomail.

This is starting to really hamper my productivity. Many very well-respected and trusted applications that I have installed rely on MAPI to accomplish things that otherwise require saving a file to a certain specific format and then opening Pocomail and attaching the file manually. While security is often mentioned as the reason for this, I once again fail to see why this cannot be a user-configurable option in Pocomail.

An "Advanced Setting" within Pocomail's options sems reasonable. I run a system that is about as secure as you will ever see, and it is a bit belittling to have my email client deciding that certain functionalities are beyond my ability to keep secure.

But I know that is about as dead a horse as I will ever beat, so I am not even pressing for this functionality in Pocomail. What I am asking is if any users have found a more roundabout way to accomplish having Pocomail set up as the default mailer, but have simple MAPI requests sent to, and be handled by Outlook.

Since I presently have to use Outlook to accomplish some of the other things that I cannot do within Pocomail (mostly related to forwards of newsletters and the like), I would love a way to have Outlook be seen as the default strictly for MAPI requests from other applications while Pocomail remains the actual default mailer.

Has anyone found an add-in program, or a registry hack to accomplish something liike this?

Again, to be clear, I would like to continue using Pocomail as my default mailer application in Windows XP Pro, but to also be able to use the MAPI functions in other applications so that I may use the "Send To" or "Send to Email Recipient" commands that are vital to how those applications function. Possibly by having Outlook "seen" as the default mailer only to MAPI requests.

Or possibly a command line parameter that will accomplish this in Pocomail.

Thank you.
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To