[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco Folder Contents display slooowiiing!!!

Poco Folder Contents display slooowiiing!!!

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco Folder Contents display slooowiiing!!!

Postby bareges » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:57 am

Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone else is suffering from Poco slowing when it comes to opening and displaying the contents of folders - 'threading' is OFF and I compress all mailboxes virtually every session.

I am running approx 29,000 emails in total, biggest folder is about 18,000 at the moment.

I am not going to bother support as we have exchanged correspondence on this topic and anyway they have enough on their plate at the moment. It is beginning to become frustrating though up to 5 secs delay on some folders now - used to be virtually instantaneous.

Charles
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:32 am

Do you have the option to retain attachments in the message enabled, because this will substantially increase the size of the mailbox file? Apart from this, I think you are stuck with it unless you can do some pruning. How can you manage a folder with 18,000 messages in it? :shock:
robin

Postby bareges » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:24 am

Robin,

Thank you for your reply. Good point about attachments embedded.

The answer to your question is, with great difficulty!

As you quite reasonably imply maybe some more aggressive housekeeping is called for.
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby Hogyt » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:16 am

Have you defragged recently and tried increasing the cache in Options->Reading Mail? My biggest mailbox has 12k messages and is 48 megs in size. The first time i click on it, it can take up to 3 or 4 seconds to display in the index pane but from then onwards its no slower than any other mailbox (no threading and attachments are not embedded).
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby bareges » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:14 pm

Mat,

Thank you for your 'cache' suggestion..........will try it and see what happens.

As it happens I have recently (last week or so) done my monthly antivirus system scan and defrag, so that side of things should be in reasonable shape.

A s a complete aside I have noticed now that we are just getting into year 2 of XP Home that Windows, as usual, is swallowing up increasing amounts of free space on the C Drive. But then ever growing Windows is well known!!
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby COD » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:52 pm

You might try archiving old mail. Export it and save it somewhere outside your normal poco path so it won't load with poco.
COD
Resident Poster

Postby bareges » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:57 am

Thank you for the suggestion COD - will look into that ! Sounds like a very logical solution.

Thank you everyone.
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby frazmi » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:55 am

There's another way to "archive" old mail without moving it out of Poco -- yet at the same time avoid the speed penalties. I have this working on my system with over 30,000 messages, total size of mbx files around 80MB (plus attachment directory with another 70MB in it).

Solution:
Create a folder structure like this.
Code: Select all
Archive-I
     Archive folder 1
            Subfolder A
            Subfolder B
     Archive folder 2
            Subfolder C
            Subfolder D
Archive-II
     Archive folder 3
            Subfolder E
            Subfolder F
     Archive folder 4
            Subfolder G
            Subfolder H
When running Poco, I keep the Archive-I and Archive-II folders collapsed (so they just show the + mark). In this state, Poco never opens them up, so there's never a memory or speed penalty to pay. Just to be clear, my Poco mailbox pane looks like this:
Code: Select all
+ Archive-I
+ Archive-II

Of course, once I open an Archive, Poco has to read them into memory. (That's why I have several archives.) But that would happen anyway if I restored them from external archive. So I'm happy.

The only drawback to this scenario (at least in my case) is that "Compress All Mailboxes" takes longer. Even that, however, is not much of a problem, since I need to do CAM very seldom any more, as compared to previous versions of Poco.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:45 pm

What I would tend to do in terms or archiving would be to archive to a different Poco account. For example, from my "Home" account I might choose to archive to "Home-Archive", that way all the messages are readily available simply by switching accounts.
Michael

Postby frazmi » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:26 am

Right, that could work, too, depending on specifics. However, in my case I sometimes have to search all messages in one search -- so they need to be in my regular account and accessible.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby bareges » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:23 am

Frazmi, Michael,

Thank you both useful and constructive suggestions.

I will go and 'play' and see which suits my way of working with email best.
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To