[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Attachedmessage##.eml attachments in Pocomail?

Attachedmessage##.eml attachments in Pocomail?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Attachedmessage##.eml attachments in Pocomail?

Postby spurkcell » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:25 am

Have been using Pocomail v3.1 for a while. Some emails I receive, mostly forwards, I receive just the header info and the rest of email is in attachment labeled Attachedmessage##.eml where ## is a sequentail number assigned by Poco. If there are files with the email that are truly attachments such as .jpg or .gif attachments, I have to open the attachment Attachmentmessage##.eml to get to them. Is there a way to get rid of the attachments Attachedmessage##.eml by making a setting change in Pocomail?

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. I tried a search on the Pocoforums boards before posting, but could not find nothing (maybe used bad search terms).
spurkcell
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:46 am

Hi Scott & welcome to Poco Forum. :D
:roll: Have you tried checking the boxes in Options | Encoding Options to leave attachments encoded in the message?
Afterwards you can open the attachment pane to see these attachments.

On receiving an attachment with the same name, it's renamed so it doesn't get overwritten in the attachment directory. This only applies to non-encoded attachments.

I hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby spurkcell » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:02 am

Thanks for the quick response. I have checked the box which was unchecked - When receiving attachments, leave attachments encoded inside the message. I'll have to wait to receive an email/forward from someone whose emails in the past have come thru with eml attachments. This may be a few days, but will report back after that.

Thanks,
Scott
spurkcell
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:07 am

spurkcell wrote:I'll have to wait to receive an email/forward from someone whose emails in the past have come thru with eml attachments.
:idea: You can always send an attachment to yourself to test it.
Uncheck the encoding box for outgoing, before sending it.
Of course the previous non-encoded attachments will stay non-encoded.

Edit: adding info
Eric

Postby frazmi » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:38 am

One additional point about leaving attachments encoded in the message.... There is a side effect, that is, the mailbox file gets big much faster if you have large attachments, such as JPG files or other media. Since Poco reads the entire mailbox file into memory before processing it, if you have lots of messages you will see a difference in how fast Poco opens a mailbox, and also in how fast Poco can perform a search of the message body.

If you have a couple of hundred emails, this probably won't be an issue. But if (like me) your email count is in the tens of thousands, you will need to use some strategy to keep the mailbox size down. (One such strategy is to use lots of folders, and to move messages out of the In box into folders that you don't open so often.)

Bottom line, I don't leave attachments encoded, and put up with the double-opening routine you mention because I need to keep Poco's mailbox files as small as possible.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Pete » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:42 am

For completeness, I would like to say that leaving attachments encoded with messages does not mean that you must permanently keep the attachments inside the PocoMail mailboxes. For example, for some attachments that I don't want to keep in PocoMail, I save them to a separate folder and then use a PocoScript (via a toolbar button) to remove them from the original message. For me, this offers the most flexibility -- I keep some attachments inside the original messages but remove others. (There should be such a PocoScript in the Extras section of the website. I use my own script which is slightly different.)

Also, Scott, have you tried "Tools > Options > Reading Mail > Show Supported Attachments Inline"? I don't use it anymore, but I thought that it automatically displayed the contents of .eml attachments. It won't "get rid of" the .eml attachment, but at least you shouldn't have to go through the extra step of double-clicking on it.
Pete

Postby frazmi » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:23 am

There may be some setting I'm missing, but even with Pete's suggestion, an attachment that's embedded in an .eml file isn't shown automatically. The eml file is shown, but the embedded file (for example, an attached JPG) is not.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To