[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail on a network

Pocomail on a network

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pocomail on a network

Postby Murdoch » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:52 pm

Hi, I have two computers running on a small network with a third computer acting as server- The server is configured to connect to our ISP . All under windows XP.
How do I install Pocomail so both users can access mailboxes and addresses etc. In other words both users need to share Pocomail features as if there was only a single user. I realise I may have to purchase more than one copy, but that's OK.
Murdoch
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:27 pm

There is a thread herethat might help you (search for 'network').
robin

pocomail on a network

Postby Murdoch » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:08 pm

Thanks Robin. Not much joy. I have purchased Pocomail, and have subsequently been told by "support" that it was not designed for this application. Before purchase they told me it could be done! Pity. There must be lots of potential business for an email client which will meet the needs of small networks. Otherwise I'm pleased with Pocomail,and can live with it.
Murdoch
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:15 pm

I think that it can be done - but it is not designed to be done - you might have problems with one copy overwriting the mail or other database after changes have been made by the other.
robin

pocomail on a network

Postby Murdoch » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:27 am

Hi Robin,
Really appreciate your help!
      I have a computer set up as a server, with two other computers accessing internet and ISP via a dial-up modem attached to the "server". So far I have installed paid version of Pocomail on the "server", with shortcuts on the two wireless networked computers leading to Pocomail. Pocomail works brilliantly on the "server" On the other two computers:
 A) Pocomail startup still shows "evaluation version"        
B) When downloading mail, it is very very slow, sometimes it seems to "hang" after downloading the first message, and won't "log off" after downloading. If there are no messages to download it logs off OK.   Messages are sent OK from
 the two networked computers, just as if they were being sent from the "server". All other Pocomail functions work fine on networked computers and there do not seem to be any other conflicts or problems.( I don't mind purchasing additional licence(s) )
Any suggestions?
thanks, Murdoch
Murdoch
Drop-in Visitor

Re: pocomail on a network

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:19 pm

Murdoch wrote: Hi Robin,
Really appreciate your help!
      I have a computer set up as a server, with two other computers accessing internet and ISP via a dial-up modem attached to the "server". So far I have installed paid version of Pocomail on the "server", with shortcuts on the two wireless networked computers leading to Pocomail. Pocomail works brilliantly on the "server" On the other two computers:
 A) Pocomail startup still shows "evaluation version"        
thanks, Murdoch

As you pointed out in your first post, you will have to buy additional license for each of the other two computers. Your dial-up connection and network links may be contributing to PocoMail being slow.
Jim

Re: pocomail on a network

Postby robin » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:23 pm

Murdoch wrote: A) Pocomail startup still shows "evaluation version"
This will only be resolved by entering the licence code on each workstation - the information is stored locally; that on the server is not accessible to the workstations.

I agree with Jim that the dial-up from the server may be contributing to some of the problems. Can you try re-locating the modem to the workstation and trying again - it should be OK from there.

Regarding accessing the common data; once again bear in mind the possibility of overwriting the database if you have the two workstation copies open at the same time and making changes to the database at the same time: if one downloads some mail and stores it, then the other downloads some mail and stores it, the mail downloaded by the first *may* be lost. Only using one or the other copy should not present a problem (it's little different to me using PocoMail and Barca in the same directory).
robin

pocomail on a network

Postby Murdoch » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:57 am

Appreciate your help. Don't want to purchase additional copies unless I can solve this problem. I think it is something other than dial up or network speed(wireless 108mps) as pocomail "sending mail"speed and internet access speed is apparently the same wether on my "server computer" or a workstation. Here is a typical sequence of events:
-two accounts, A and B
-on check for mail, toolbar showed "starting" "logged in" then hung at 76%
-F12 to view progress shows "checking A ,51% "logged in" and appears hung
-then checking for mail on account A shows 100% "logged in",1 message deleted,1 message left on server. "Logging off" then hangs
- viewing IN mailbox shows same message has been downloaded twice
-checking for mail on account B shows "no new mail", no messages deleted, no messages left on server, logging off-
- I then exited Pocomail and visited webmail on my ISP server for account A, and there was the message which had already been downloaded twice.
It seems as if when using Pocomail on a workstation, it is not deleting mail from the ISP server, and is not logging off after downloading mail.
Murdoch
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Ian » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:56 pm

If I understand your problem correctly wouldn't an email server running on the third computer solve the problem?

There are many but OfficeMail from Burrotech is free and would connect and get all the mail, then your two Pocos would connect to that email server rather than your ISP.

Ignore me if I'm wildly off base!

Ian

PS I have no connection with Burrotech, just that I have used OfficeMail before and I rate it highly.
Ian
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To