[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - SMTP hostname problem

SMTP hostname problem

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby frazmi » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:14 pm

Beats me... We need Austin to put in his 5-cents.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:37 pm

kaj wrote:2. In the absence of a hostname Pocomail uses the IP (dot) address string as its log-on parameter. My ISP claims this is illegal as IP addresses as part of the domain name should be in square brackets []. Who is correct?
Well, simply, both are.

I fully agree that the specification says that [..] should surround the IP address, however according to the Exim web site
Code: Select all
The RFCs specifically state that mail should not be refused on the basis of the content of the HELO or EHLO commands. However, there are installations that do want to be strict in this area....
And reading the RFC 2821 (yet to be ratified) here also suggests that both are right.

Realistically the only way ahead on this now is for you to post an enhancement request or bug notification (although 'bug' may too strong IMHO) on BugTraction to get it fixed in the future, and in the meantime live with either the malformed HELO or switch to authenticated EHLO.
robin

Postby kaj » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:08 am

Thanks Robin. I don't know what BugTraction is, so I'll just email support with my request.
kaj
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:10 am

kaj wrote:Thanks Robin. I don't know what BugTraction is, so I'll just email support with my request.

Bug Traction
1. Go to Bug Traction http://halostatue.ca/bz/bt.cgi?action=login
2. Enter an email address and a password.
3. Choose the "PocoMail" project from the drop-down box.
4. Click "Submit" if you've already registered, otherwise click "Register".
Eric

Postby kaj » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:53 am

Thanks Eric, I've now done a bug report as well. :D
kaj
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:15 am

kaj wrote:Thanks Eric, I've now done a bug report as well. :D
You're welcome. :wink:
:) Well done on bug report 1119.
Eric

Help Help Help!

Postby BigCharles » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:49 am

I have not been able to send mail for weeks now.

My site hosting now provides authenticated SMTP but I can't get that to work either.

SWBell provide SMTP to DSL customers but it is un-authenticated and that gives me a mesage about the "Host Property" not being specified.

I activated the debug thing but it does not give me a true SMTP conversation log.

Version 3.1.0.1880

I am at the end of my rope here!
ATB

Charles Kincaid
BigCharles
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:16 am

Can you get authenticated login using any email client? If you have not tried that approach it might be helpful, since then you will have a set of parameters that you know work.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby jbuk » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:41 am

I have had a play with this one because like kaj I have a router and a private network but unlike kaj I do not have any difficulties sending via SMTP.

Debug mode shows the following for a sent mail to myself.....

Pre-send filters
Get info on account: Moi
SMTP: smtp.metronet.co.uk
SMTP LOGIN
SMTP SEND
Post-send filters
Save message to: Sent
SMTP LOGOUT

220-mail.metronet.co.uk ESMTP MetroNet Mail NO UBE NO UCE C=GB
HELO 192.168.0.2
250 mail.metronet.co.uk
MAIL FROM:<moi@mydomain.net>
250 Ok
RCPT TO:<moi@mydomain.net>
250 Ok
DATA
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>

250 Ok: queued as 63B324180F4
QUIT
221 Bye

So me too - there are no [] used but it goes through OK.

But of much greater interest the header of the received mail shows the following ........

Received: from 192.168.0.2 (unknown [213.162.xxx.xx])by mail.metronet.co.uk (MetroNet Mail) with SMTP id 63B324180F4for <moi@mydomain.net>; Sun, 1 Aug 2004 15:05:06 +0100 (BST)

The unknown ip adress in the [] is my routers fixed address. I am not sure if the router or the ISP puts the [] in but they are there for sure.

Finally I have used around 10 different ISPs in 3 different countries in the last couple of years using PM. None have refused to send my Pocomails. I haven't tried Tidymail, kaj's ISP though.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby kaj » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:42 am

Thanks for that jbuk,

You get the HELO ip-address as well.

What version of Windows are you using ?
I'm interested to see if this behaviour is limited to Win2000.
kaj
Poco Tourist

Postby jbuk » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:29 am

Kaj, I am still using old faithful, W98.

I will try it on my XP machine soon and let you know if anything changes.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby robin » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:28 pm

kaj wrote:You get the HELO ip-address as well.

What version of Windows are you using ?
I'm interested to see if this behaviour is limited to Win2000.
I find this on XP. I think that it is related to whether PM uses HELO or EHLO, not the OS that you are using.
jbuk wrote:But of much greater interest the header of the received mail shows the following ........

Received: from 192.168.0.2 (unknown [213.162.xxx.xx])by mail.metronet.co.uk (MetroNet Mail) with SMTP id 63B324180F4for <moi@mydomain.net>; Sun, 1 Aug 2004 15:05:06 +0100 (BST)

The unknown ip adress in the [] is my routers fixed address. I am not sure if the router or the ISP puts the [] in but they are there for sure.
My understanding is that the 192.168... probably comes from the HELO, but the [213.162...] is added by the SMTP server as part of its message tracking process and is added from the communication session, since the receiving server has to have the source IP address in order to complete the transaction.

As an aside, the translation of the [213.162...] on the router to [192.168...] on your network is done by the router automatically and is not seen by the mail server.
robin

Postby BigCharles » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:59 am

jbuk wrote:<snip>
220-mail.metronet.co.uk ESMTP MetroNet Mail NO UBE NO UCE C=GB
HELO 192.168.0.2
250 mail.metronet.co.uk
MAIL FROM:<moi@mydomain.net>
250 Ok
RCPT TO:<moi@mydomain.net>
250 Ok
DATA
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>

250 Ok: queued as 63B324180F4
QUIT
221 Bye

<snip>

This is the part that I am NOT seeing in the debug output. If I could SEE the raw conversation then I could determine what is misconfigured on my end.

As far as the authentication problem, I'll work that out using three things:
(1) Info from the ISP
(2) A printed copy of the RFC's
(3) Either Telnet to the correct port or a copy of Puty in raw mode

These are the same three tools that I have used to debug POP3 and NNTP servers.

Why does my version not log the raw conversation? I might be looking in the wrong place. In what file are the rest of you seeing the raw conversation?

Thanks for any help.
ATB

Charles Kincaid
BigCharles
Drop-in Visitor

Postby kaj » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:21 am

Charles, look for the file DebugLog.txt in your Pocomail directory.
kaj
Poco Tourist

Postby jbuk » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:21 am

I have now tried the SMTP process on an XP laptop and see no difference whatsoever and it works on both.

Kaj did you try as an experiment to send a test email using IE or any other client you could access before your ISP gave you special status :?: . This might have proved interesting ! I see on tidymail's website that they have recently fixed a bug (?) that prevented OE users from sending emails at all. So maybe it isnt just PM.

BigCharles The quoted debug info is found in the text file DebugLog.
jbuk
Resident Poster

PreviousNext

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To