[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - SMTP hostname problem

SMTP hostname problem

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

It must JUST be me!

Postby BigCharles » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:27 am

Thanks to kaj and jbuk. Guys I'm sure that mine does not have that. I'll copy in a copy of my log when I get home tonight (I'm still runing 2.6 here at work).
ATB

Charles Kincaid
BigCharles
Drop-in Visitor

Postby kaj » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:42 pm

jbuk, I just did a test using Outlook Express and it sent: HELO brc2k

Now my computer name is brc-2k, OE decided that it didn't much like the hyphen, so removed it.

Another client I tried (Ameol) used the ISP domain as the parameter.

I'm coming to the conclusion that no email client treats the HELO parameter very seriously. They'll use any old string and expect the server to ignore it. :?

kaj
kaj
Poco Tourist

Postby robin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:30 am

kaj wrote:I'm coming to the conclusion that no email client treats the HELO parameter very seriously. They'll use any old string and expect the server to ignore it. :?
Which, according to the RFC, it should do.
robin

Postby kaj » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:35 am

But as you said earlier, it's a bit ambiguous. It like to know what the "official" Pocomail position is.
kaj
Poco Tourist

Here is my log

Postby BigCharles » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:35 pm

Code: Select all
Sending queued mail on 8/6/04 8:44:44 PM
 Dial-up if needed
 Prepare message: 1
  Run pre-send filters
 Message subject: test
 Message account: Charles Kincaid
 SMTP LOGIN to: smtp.charleskincaid.com
  LOGIN error: 501 5.7.0 Authentication failed
 Total sent: 0
 Total failed: 0
 SMTP LOGOUT

This is the SMTP part of DebugLog.txt. Note that this is not a raw conversation log nor is it close to what you were posting as a conversation. Why can I not see the raw conversation?

If I use authenticated SMTP I get 570 errors even though I have checked all the parameters multiple times.

If I use an un-authenticated SMTP server I get "HOST PROPERTY NOT SPECIFIED".

I am a my wits end and am now looking for a replacement.
ATB

Charles Kincaid
BigCharles
Drop-in Visitor

Postby frazmi » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:57 pm

BigCharles, did you delete debuglog.txt before starting Poco? I've found that the best way to grab debug info is to delete the log, start Poco, turn on debug, do the test, and immediately shut down. That tends to capture debug info only on the topic of interest.

Also, although I'm no expert in this, the debug log does not seem to be written in precise chronological order. Or if it is, then the chrono order isn't what I'd intuit.

One possibility... On my SMTP server, I am required to omit the smtp part of the URL. So even though my true smtp server is smtp.foo.com, I need to put just foo.com in the SMTP server slot in Poco account setup.
frazmi
Poco Enthusiast

Postby jbuk » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:48 pm

BigCharles,
I can see now that you have a serious problem there.
It is probably time to go back to basics here as it is your ISP that is rejecting your sends. If you cannot send mail then it is invariably either a setup error in the email client or the ISP will not allow sending for whatever reason.

1. Is <smtp.charleskincaid.com> really your unauthenticated smtp service. Usually its <smtp.myisp.com> or <mail.myISP.net>. Do you really own your own ISP?

2.Can you ping the smtp server ?

3. Can you send mail using another email client ?

4. What does the PM error log say ?

5. Your SMTP address can be specified in >Options >Sending Mail >Default server AND in >Accounts >Edit >Outgoing. Do you have them both the same address ?

6. Out of interest what POP(?) address do you use to get your mails ?

I hope this helps...........................
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby kaj » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:24 pm

Charles.
I just set up an account using your smtp server address and tried to send a message to myself in debug mode. This is what I got:

Sending message on 07/08/2004 09:11:15
Pre-send filters
Get info on account: Charles
SMTP: smtp.charleskincaid.com
SMTP LOGIN
SMTP SEND
Address rejected by the SMTP server: jeff@woodcomp.co.uk
Reason: 550 5.7.1 <jeff@woodcomp.co.uk>... we do not relay <>
No other addresses present, cancel send
SEND error: 550 5.7.1 <jeff@woodcomp.co.uk>... we do not relay <>

220 smtp02.myhosting.com ESMTP Merak 7.1.0; Sat, 07 Aug 2004 04:12:50 -0400
HELO 10.0.0.8
250 smtp02.myhosting.com Hello 10.0.0.8 [217.146.126.90], pleased to meet you.
MAIL FROM:<>
250 2.1.0 <>... Sender ok
RCPT TO:<jeff@woodcomp.co.uk>
550 5.7.1 <jeff@woodcomp.co.uk>... we do not relay <>

<pre><b>DEBUG MODE TURNED ON</b><br>
Mailboxes loaded: 3
Messages indexed: 46
Save mailbox

Not surprisingly it failed from my IP address because it doesn't act as a mail relay, but the initial login was accepted.

I don't know why you are not seeing the raw conversation. Are you using the latest Pocomail version? I have version 3.1.0.1880 here.

kaj
kaj
Poco Tourist

Postby kaj » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:00 pm

And here's the same using Authenticated SMTP (using dummy username and password):

Sending message on 07/08/2004 09:55:54
Pre-send filters
Get info on account: Charles
SMTP: smtp.charleskincaid.com
SMTP LOGIN
LOGIN error: 501 5.7.0 Authentication failed
Error, save message to: Sent

220 smtp01.myhosting.com ESMTP Merak 7.1.0; Sat, 07 Aug 2004 04:57:29 -0400
EHLO brc-2k
250-smtp01.myhosting.com Hello brc-2k [217.146.126.90], pleased to meet you.
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-SEND
250-SOML
250-SAML
250-SIZE
250-EXPN
250-ETRN
250-ATRN
250-DSN
250-CHUNKING
250-CHECKPOINT
250-8BITMIME
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP
AUTH PLAIN
uname pword
501 5.7.0 Authentication failed

<pre><b>DEBUG MODE TURNED ON</b><br>
Mailboxes loaded: 5
Messages indexed: 84
Save mailbox

kaj
kaj
Poco Tourist

Postby BigCharles » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:33 am

kaj wrote:220 smtp02.myhosting.com ESMTP Merak 7.1.0; Sat, 07 Aug 2004 04:12:50 -0400
HELO 10.0.0.8
250 smtp02.myhosting.com Hello 10.0.0.8 [217.146.126.90], pleased to meet you.
MAIL FROM:<>
250 2.1.0 <>... Sender ok
RCPT TO:<jeff@woodcomp.co.uk>
550 5.7.1 <jeff@woodcomp.co.uk>... we do not relay <>
[/color]

Thanks kaj and jbuk. The server you guys are testing is an authenticated server. Yes, no surprise that you can't get through. My debug log does not EVER show the part of the conversation that I quoted above.

My DSL provides IP authentecated SMTP. This is SW Bell or SBC. Their SMTP servers are clustered and load balanced by rotating DNS entries. They have a few servers in the cluster that don't respond well to all clients. Windows 98 caches DNS results so if I get stuck on a bad one I have to reboot.

The good news is that last night I put the DSL server back into the configuration and IT WORKED!

I'm still going to try to get the authenticated server to work as it will make my life easier to have a server that always works.
ATB

Charles Kincaid
BigCharles
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:40 am

jbuk wrote:1. Is <smtp.charleskincaid.com> really your unauthenticated smtp service. Usually its <smtp.myisp.com> or <mail.myISP.net>. Do you really own your own ISP?
I doubt that he does, but a lot of of e-mail service providers when you have registered your own domain do provide an authenticated SMTP server on your domain - I know, I have several. Charles has clearly registered his own domain.
robin

Postby BigCharles » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:55 am

robin wrote:Charles has clearly registered his own domain.

In the words of Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!"

I have been developing software for a living since September of 1972. I also dabble in writing Science Fiction. My software is vastly better than my writing.

Since I do a LOT of web based development it just seemed natual that when I found that my own name had not yet been registered I jumped in a set up a site. I don't host it but if I could afford a full T1 into my home I would do that. Then I would be running Kerio as a mail server and would have no SMTP, POP3, or other protocol that I could not handle myself.

User groups and newsgroups have been a big help to me over the years and I like to give back some of what I have received.
ATB

Charles Kincaid
BigCharles
Drop-in Visitor

RFC2821

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:40 am

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt?number=2821

says :-

4.1.1.1 Extended HELLO (EHLO) or HELLO (HELO)

These commands are used to identify the SMTP client to the SMTP
server. The argument field contains the fully-qualified domain name
of the SMTP client if one is available. In situations in which the
SMTP client system does not have a meaningful domain name (e.g., when
its address is dynamically allocated and no reverse mapping record is
available), the client SHOULD send an address literal (see section
4.1.3), optionally followed by information that will help to identify
the client system.

4.1.3 Address Literals

Sometimes a host is not known to the domain name system and
communication (and, in particular, communication to report and repair
the error) is blocked. To bypass this barrier a special literal form
of the address is allowed as an alternative to a domain name. For
IPv4 addresses, this form uses four small decimal integers separated
by dots and enclosed by brackets such as [123.255.37.2], which
indicates an (IPv4) Internet Address in sequence-of-octets form.

Geoff
Geoff
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:11 am

Yes, but RFC 2821 has not yet been ratified
Code: Select all
2821 Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. J. Klensin, Ed.. April 2001.
     (Format: TXT=192504 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0821, RFC0974, RFC1869)
     (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)
robin

RFCs

Postby Geoff » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:19 am

Yes, but...
RFC2821 claims that it does not alter RFC821 and
has not RFC821 been obsoleted, leaving us with
no valid standard ;-) or should that be :-(

So what does RFC 821 say :-

RFC 821 August 1982
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

The following are the SMTP commands: