[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Downloading Images

Downloading Images

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Tomas » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:08 am

dmanic124 wrote: I imagine this image problem is pretty widespread

I can't comment on this, as I have never experienced it myself, and as far as I remember, during last three months on the helpdesk, this was the only report I have seen of this issue.

Btw. did you already send us the sample of that problematic message to the helpdesk? (I'm sorry but I don't remember all the cases...)
(If not, please forward it either as attachment, or save it as .eml and upload through http://www.pocosystems.com/support/).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Another one with same problem...

Postby gbrinck » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:28 am

Just adding another voice to this issue:

I'm also having this same problem and have tried the various settings mentioned in this thread (already had them all covered, but I double checked). Very frustrating and I too am on the verge of abandoning Poco after many years of happy use (I started with the original verison!) .

Hope the next version is available soon and it fixes the problems. :cry:
Gary Brinck
gbrinck
Poco Tourist

Me too!

Postby ecps » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:55 am

I have downloaded Poco and like it a great deal - but I too am having the problem with images not displaying. I would like to register it but feel that I will be taking a step backwards (from Outlook) if this problem is not rectified. I notice that nobody has posted to this thread for a couple of weeks and wonder whether this means that a solution has been found.

I would be grateful for any new advice (I have tried the other suggestions in this thread).

Eddie.
ecps
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:30 pm

So far I could view messages fine for all these problems that were reported to helpdesk (on my PC, using the exact Poco/Barca settings of people who reported).

So it must be something particular to users local hardware or software setups (either those being a culprit, or Poco not playing well with it)

From some obvious software problems, it might be antivirus, firewall or antispyware blocking the images.

For new reports to helpdesk, we would also appreciate to know:
- the kind of internet connection (dialup, LAN, dsl, ...) and ISP
- the brand of modem/router used
- operating system
and to have a sample of a message in a raw/.eml format (File->Save As will produce that)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

It's a pity

Postby ecps » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:10 am

Oh well - I guess that I will just have to accept the fact the PocoMail does not work on some systems. It's a pity as apart from its refusal to display images I think it is a great program. I'll have another go when the new version comes out - though I am not very hopeful as no-one seems to know what causes the problem in the current version.
ecps
Drop-in Visitor

Re: It's a pity

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:17 am

Hi ecps & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
ecps wrote:I'll have another go when the new version comes out - though I am not very hopeful as no-one seems to know what causes the problem in the current version.
Why not give the new beta-version a try, so you can see for yourself if it will display those images?

Just send an email to Support with your forum name, license key and why you would want to participate.

Maybe it will help to find what's wrong on your end and probably for others too to find the cause to all this.

Just a suggestion. :wink:

p.s.: Same applies for gbrinck. :)
Eric

Postby dmanic124 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:53 am

Eric wrote:Just send an email to Support with your forum name, license key and why you would want to participate.

Hello Eric,

Asking us to purchase a program (In order to get a license key) just to try and see if a beta version fixes the issue is asking a bit much I'd say. Especially when every other email client I've ever used (Including the old Pocomail 3.4) has displayed images just fine without jumping through any hoops whatsoever.

There's a handful of users in this thread who've reported the image viewing problem, and if I search back in older threads I can find a bunch more. I myself downloaded it both here and at work, where there are two completely different computer setups and ISP's, and can't get either to view images in Pocomail 4.1. I've also asked a few friends from out of state to try and see if they can view images in the current version, of which none were able to do so. So it's safe to say, this problem is probably more widespread than you folks are aware of.

Hopefully you'll find the issue and address it in the next release, at which time I'd be happy to give it another go around then.

Best regards,

David
dmanic124
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:59 pm

License key is not required for beta testing participation.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby robin » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:26 pm

ecps wrote:Oh well - I guess that I will just have to accept the fact the PocoMail does not work on some systems. It's a pity as apart from its refusal to display images I think it is a great program. I'll have another go when the new version comes out - though I am not very hopeful as no-one seems to know what causes the problem in the current version.
There has to be cause for this - it's just a case of finding it. PocoMail does not show this problem with all images. It could be:
1 - There is something in the message referring to the image that PocoMail does not understand
2 - PocoMail is requesting the image but not getting served it by the server
3 - Something else is blocking the image from being downloaded.

dmanic124: If you already have a licence code for v4 then it will work with the new beta. Requesting participation with Poco Systems ensures that you get access to the beta sections of the forums: check for updates and post comments / problems.

It would be good to see the message that is causing this problem. Can you share it with us? If so, right-click in the message and Choose "View Raw Message". Then Ctrl-A to select the entire code then Ctrl-C to copy it. then paste it into a Code section here on the forum. Please highlight which images are causing the problems tne we can take a look.

Thanks
robin

Postby dmanic124 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:52 am

robin wrote:PocoMail does not show this problem with all images.

Incorrect, it does show this problem with ALL emails that contain images.

robin wrote:dmanic124: If you already have a licence code for v4 then it will work with the new beta.

Ahh, I don't have a license key for v4, and I'm surely not about to purchase something that doesn't work correctly.

robin wrote:It would be good to see the message that is causing this problem. Can you share it with us?

Like I said, it's not one particular message, it's ALL messages. Sorry, I don't feel comfortable handing out my personal emails, especially since most are financial related and contain personal information. For instance, payments received from PayPal, the email shows fine, just not the little PayPal logo etc.. Now if I receive these same emails in any other email client (Including pocomail 3.4) they show up just fine. I have no crazy firewalls running, no AV programs or anything that should cause something this dramatic to happen. I have DSL here and Cable at the office, the problem occurs on different computers in both places. My friend's out of state who I had test Pocomail v4.1, have either DSL or Cable, obviously using different computers, and it doesn't work for them either.

Perhaps it will get fixed one day, but if it doesn't, I'm surely not going to lose any sleep over it. I've been getting more familiar with Thunderbird and will probably just stick with that anyways, it's free and works great, so paying for an email client wouldn't make much sense at this point...

David
dmanic124
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:44 am

Well there's the difficulty - from where I sit your statement is incorrect: I don't see this problem at all: all images in messages that I receive render properly. Hence the reason for wanting to look at your messages in particular (or at least the HTML code that points to the image) and see if there is anything different, because if we or Poco Systems can't see the problem then we can't move towards a solution.

Ahh, I don't have a license key for v4, and I'm surely not about to purchase something that doesn't work correctly.
Seems reasonable to me :) I hadn't picked that up.

Sorry, I don't feel comfortable handing out my personal emails, especially since most are financial related and contain personal information.
Fully understand.

I've been getting more familiar with Thunderbird and will probably just stick with that anyways, it's free and works great, so paying for an email client wouldn't make much sense at this point...
Whatever works for you... :) As Slaven said, it's good to have choices.
robin

Postby dmanic124 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:12 am

robin wrote:
Well there's the difficulty - from where I sit your statement is incorrect: I don't see this problem at all: all images in messages that I receive render properly. Hence the reason for wanting to look at your messages in particular (or at least the HTML code that points to the image) and see if there is anything different, because if we or Poco Systems can't see the problem then we can't move towards a solution.

Lol, sorry for the confusion. But from your statement, it sounded like you thought that it just happened on certain images with the person whose having the problem.

The simple fact remains, the image problem is indeed real and is happening to many people. Best of luck finding a fix...

David
dmanic124
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:31 am

Exactly as Robin says: it's rare problem, most (99.99%, not most as majority) users of course see all images just fine. That's the reason why we are having a problem reproducing it.

For next beta version, I believe it's not even necessary to have registration key for Pocomail 4, it shall still work in 45day trial mode.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Tomas » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:35 am

dmanic124 wrote:The simple fact remains, the image problem is indeed real and is happening to many people.

From what I know, it's only happening to people that posted in this thread. At least Helpdesk noted tickets opened in this case only from the same people that posted in this thread (Though I only have data for last few months), maybe one more but I don't want to waste time on researching that to be fully accurate, I hope +- 1 is acceptable accuracy. Despite the fact that majority of users prefer helpdesk over forum for bug reporting.

We don't take it lightly, again this is just to explain this is really a rare problem.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Same problem as the others

Postby rdwilson » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:42 pm

I just installed Pocomail on seven client computers to begin their trial period in an effort to keep them from using Outlook on their new network. All seven computers are experiencing no embedded images in HTML formatted messages.

All suggested settings have been double-checked (online operation, view, sanitize, etc.) and are correct.

Since I can take the code from "view raw", paste it into notepad, save it with an .htm extension and it will render just fine in IE or Firefox we can assume:

1. The images exist on the server
2. They are not being blocked by a network device like a router
3. There are no port issues like 80 being blocked by a personal firewall.

What all client computers *DO* have in common in terms of email is the fact that Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is checking the messages. I wonder if SAV may be acting as a proxy and causing the problem?

All seven computers are built exactly the same and running XP Professional that was deployed using Ghost from a master image. Poco was not part of the image but was installed later. SAV was, however, part of the master build.

Any ideas or thoughts?
rdwilson
Drop-in Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To