[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Moving addresses from a group to a new address book

Moving addresses from a group to a new address book

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Moving addresses from a group to a new address book

Postby sokoyu » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:22 am

Hi folks,

Currently I only have one address book. In it there is a group that I use for a mailing list. This group has grown up over time and has a rather haphazard mixture of links and addresses. To get the thing under control, I'd like to move the whole group over into a new address book, but I can't find a way to do it. Can you suggest anything?

Also, on a related subject. Is it possible to print an address group without printing the whole book out.

Ta

Eddie
sokoyu
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Moving addresses from a group to a new address book

Postby Jose » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:32 am

First of all.... welcome to the PSI forums, sokoyu :)

sokoyu wrote:I'd like to move the whole group over into a new address book, but I can't find a way to do it. Can you suggest anything?

You must create the new address book. After this, select the group and right-click on it.

In the contextual menu, select 'Move To' > YourNewAddressBook

sokoyu wrote:Also, on a related subject. Is it possible to print an address group without printing the whole book out.

Sorry, I never print addresses so I'm not sure how to do it... did you try selecting those addresses before doing click on the Print button?

Regards...
Jose

Postby sokoyu » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:39 am

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried using both 'move to' and 'copy to' but neither of them will move 'links' out of an address group. Perhaps they are supposed to - but they won't on my system.

I tried selecting the addresses in my group before printing, but I still got the whole address book printed out - not exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for your welcome to the forum, too.

Eddie
sokoyu
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:11 am

Eddie - what do you mean by "links"?

One other option that you could try - close Poco and then browse to the addresses folder in Windows Explorer. Find address.ini and simply make a copy to <whatever-name-you-want>.ini. Then restart Poco, go to Tools -> Options -> Address book, choose Add New and select the one that you just created. Then you can delete out of that the ones that you don't want there, and out of the default one the addresses that you want to transfer.

You can swap address book by clicking the title bar above the address listing in the left-hand column.

HTH
robin

Postby sokoyu » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:32 am

Thanks Robin.

Links (have I got the term wrong) are when an address in a group points to an address in the main address book, rather than being an editable entry in the group itself.

The Pocomail help describes this as follows:

"Normal drag and drop will add a link to the original address book item to the group. This means that any changes to the original item will be reflected when you use the group entry. The group only stores a link to the original item. Linked items are displayed in italics."

As far as I can tell, I can't copy the linked items into a new address book. I copied the address book across as you suggested, but there was no obvious way to remove all of the addresses I didn't want while only leaving the ones in the group. My address book as about 570 entries, 150 of which are in the group that I want to split off as a seperate book (about half of those are linked entries).

Thanks for your ideas, but it looks as though retyping may be my best option.
sokoyu
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To