[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Two questions about volume and editing received emails

Two questions about volume and editing received emails

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Two questions about volume and editing received emails

Postby DougWeller » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:25 am

Like a number of TheBat! users I am wondering if it is time to change. So, a couple of questions.

1. WIll Pocomail be stable and fast with 150,000 messages and 100 or so folders?
2. I see I can change the subject line on a received email. I don't seem to be able to edit the text though. Have I missed something?

Thanks.

Doug
DougWeller
Poco Tourist

Postby Hogyt » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:51 am

1. Thats a lot of messages and i think the best thing is to download the demo and see how it works for you. I have 70k messages and it's ok here but i don't access my big mailboxes that often. Searching the body of all those messages will certainly be slow.

2. If you decide to register, there is a script in the Extras section called editmessage.poc that allows you to edit the message via an external editor.
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Two questions about volume and editing received emails

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:57 am

Hi Doug & welcome to Poco Forum. :D
DougWeller wrote:1. WIll Pocomail be stable and fast with 150,000 messages and 100 or so folders?
:shock: I haven't that many messages, but Poco is really stable. You can make as many folders, subfolders you like, same as in The Bat or any other email client.
2. I see I can change the subject line on a received email. I don't seem to be able to edit the text though. Have I missed something?
Rightclicking on a message gives you the menu where you found Edit Subject Line. Just above this you'll find Edit Message.

I hope this helps. :wink:

:oops: Well, well, it's Mat again. :lol:
Last edited by Eric on Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eric

Postby Hogyt » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:58 am

I've never seen that Edit Message option before. Thanks Eric! :D
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:04 am

Hogyt wrote:I've never seen that Edit Message option before. Thanks Eric! :D
You're welcome, Mat :wink:
I don't recall, if that option was present in version 3.0.
Eric

Re: Two questions about volume and editing received emails

Postby Hogyt » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:07 am

Eric wrote: :oops: Well, well, it's Mat again. :lol:

I lay in wait until i see you logged on before posting. j/k ;-)

Eric wrote:You're welcome, Mat Wink
I don't recall, if that option was present in version 3.0.

It's certainly a welcome addition to the great PocoMail!
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby DougWeller » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:07 am

Thanks. I found the Edit message, but I don't seem to be able to save it. I can send it, save it as draft, but can't save it back in its folder.

Doug
DougWeller
Poco Tourist

Postby Hogyt » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:10 am

If you don't mind losing the headers you could save it as a draft and drag it back to whatever mailbox you like. Or you could use that script i mentioned if you register.
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:13 am

DougWeller wrote:Thanks.
You're welcome. :wink:
I found the Edit message, but I don't seem to be able to save it. I can send it, save it as draft, but can't save it back in its folder.
That's where Mat's suggestion about the Script: editmessage.poc comes in, so you can save the message.
Eric

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:18 pm

As an addition to the thread, if you invoke the Edit Message command in the Sent folder, the TO field will contain the original recipient's email address. Doing the same thing in the In box will show your email address in the TO field.

We should overhaul this function by renaming it and making it more explicit.
Jim

Stability with large volumes?

Postby DougWeller » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:56 pm

So far I'm impressed. Like a number of other TheBat! users, I'm looking for a new email client.

But it really does have to be stable with 150,000 plus emails and 100+ folders, and I haven't yet had any comments on that.

If I can get assurances on stability with large volumes I'll almost certainly go for it. (although I'm still looking at TheBat!'s virtual folders which allow you to set up a folder to display particular watched threads, very useful for mailing lists, and the scheduler to send out emails or reminders).

Doug
DougWeller
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:17 pm

DougWeller wrote:But it really does have to be stable with 150,000 plus emails and 100+ folders, and I haven't yet had any comments on that.
:idea: Download the 45 days trial, if you haven't done already, so you can evaluate if it fits your needs.
(although I'm still looking at TheBat!'s virtual folders which allow you to set up a folder to display particular watched threads, very useful for mailing lists, and the scheduler to send out emails or reminders).
Virtual folders aren't present yet in Pocomail or Barca, but you've the QuickGuide. You can also use the events to send emails or reminders at a certain time. Scripts are also very useful.

If you've any question, we're here to help you. :wink:

Edit: Correction
Last edited by Eric on Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Re: Stability with large volumes?

Postby robin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:07 pm

DougWeller wrote:But it really does have to be stable with 150,000 plus emails and 100+ folders, and I haven't yet had any comments on that.
I don't think that there are that many users who post on the forums who have that number of messages - which might be why you haven't had any responses :? Like Eric said - try it! Poco leaves no unwanted files scattered on the computer - all the installed files are in the PocoMail directory structure so if you really don't like it then one stroke of the Delete key and it's gone.
robin

Postby DougWeller » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:01 pm

Thanks Robin, I'll try to load it up. It still has to match TheBat! for speed, stability and memory usage, I really hope it does!

Doug
DougWeller
Poco Tourist

Re: Stability with large volumes?

Postby mikecarey » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:36 pm

Hi Doug

A quick tot up shows that I have about 110,00 e-mails and about 180 folders and I would not use any other e-mail client. The last substantive release was stable with those numbers. I've had a couple of AV's in the last couple of weeks, but I'm testing out the next beta version, so that's part of the price you pay!
Mike Carey
mikecarey
Frequent Visitor

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To