[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Curing a reformatting problem-Obedient Text

Curing a reformatting problem-Obedient Text

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Curing a reformatting problem-Obedient Text

Postby Fritz Wagner » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:45 am

The problem that has always annoyed me most in Pocomail is its iinability to retain format when pasting or resending and then quoting text. I always end up fixing lines one at a time so that there aren't angle brackets in the middle of lines and the paragraphs aren't all squished together into one block of text. :cry:

Well, I stumbled across a cure for one problem. Let us say that you send a message to someone. Then you realize that you left something out or typed a silly sentence so you resend the original message and type the correction at the top. You want the original message quoted because you want the before and after to be crystal clear. You want the original paragraphing respected because you want the quoted text to have the same appearance and readability as the original message.

Everyone with me so far? :)

Here is an original message:

Dear ______,

A retched week of cold, ice, snow, wind, and now, thaw.
All the snow and ice came off the gabled roof in one avalanche, much
of it landing on the porch roof. Attached please find a
photo of the unusual resulting formation. Sort of Tripod in
lost profile! Or a cenotaph and needle.

Nothing of interest here. I am rereading Robert Bruce Lockhart's
"Memoirs of a British Agent" (1932).

Take good care,

So I misspelled "wretched" and I want to send a correction. Trying to be efficient, I select "Send Again" from my menu buttons at the top of my main page and the copied message goes to the Outbox. When I open the Outbox, there is the message, identical to the original message. Now I go to Format=>Quote Text and this is the compacted message I get:

> Dear ______,A retched week of cold, ice, snow, wind, and now, thaw.All
> the snow and ice came off the gabled roof in one avalanche, muchof it
> landing on the porch roof. Attached please find aphoto of the unusual
> resulting formation. Sort of Tripod inlost profile! Or a cenotaph and
> needle.Nothing of interest here. I am rereading Robert Bruce
> Lockhart's"Memoirs of a British Agent" (1932).Take good care,

Now this is what happens with a slight change. When the Outbox message is opened, the whole message is HIGHLIGHTED before the Quote Text option is selected. It now looks like this, as I want it to appear in the resent message:

Dear ______,

I meant WRETCHED of course. No one here is throwing up because
of the weather!

> Dear _____,
>
> A retched week of cold, ice, snow, wind, and now, thaw.
> All the snow and ice came off the gabled roof in one avalanche, much
> of it landing on the porch roof. Attached please find a
> photo of the unusual resulting formation. Sort of Tripod in
> lost profile! Or a cenotaph and needle.
>
> Nothing of interest here. I am rereading Robert Bruce Lockhart's
> "Memoirs of a British Agent" (1932).
>
> Take good care,

No wonder they never get these things fixed. Really difficult stuff. But this is one workaround and if you do a lot of correspondence, this kind of obedient text is more important than many of the bells and whistles that have been worked in over the years.
Fritz Wagner
Fritz Wagner
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To