[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Socket Error 10054 [Mod: Resolved]

Socket Error 10054 [Mod: Resolved]

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Socket Error 10054 [Mod: Resolved]

Postby Al Frank » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:33 pm

Pocomail 4 (which has been on my machine since the program came out) has begun giving me socket 10054 errors nearly everytime I try to send an email. I've scanned the forum for similar posts but didn't get anything there that has helped. I'd appreciate some guidance here.

Thanks,
Al Frank

Win XP
Nod 32 AV
K9 anti spam
Al Frank
Poco Tourist

Re: Socket Error 10054

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:34 pm

Al Frank wrote:Pocomail 4 (which has been on my machine since the program came out) has begun giving me socket 10054 errors nearly everytime I try to send an email. I've scanned the forum for similar posts but didn't get anything there that has helped. I'd appreciate some guidance here.
Did you perform a search on 10054?
There are many possibilities why it could give you that error. :?

Anything changed lately on your system?

Other then those previous posts I wouldn't know what to suggest next, although you could try to reset your poco.ini to see if that helps.

:!: Close Poco and rename your poco.ini to poco_old.ini
Restart Poco.

You'll lose all your Options, so you best take screenshots or note them down prior to resetting that file.

Hope that may solve your problem. ;)
Eric

Socket 10054 Error

Postby Al Frank » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:45 am

Yes, I searched that error and didn't find anything that helped. I called my ISP and they read to me the same info I had found through Google. It was they who suspected that the problem lay in the email client.

The only recent change to my system was uninstalling Trend Internet Security 2007 and replacing it with Nod 32 antivirus. However, disabling Nod didn't affect the socket error occurrence.

I'll wait till this evening when I have more time to try your .ini file suggestion. Perhaps someone will have other ideas in the meantime.

Thanks
Al Frank
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:56 am

Has anything changed on your computer recently? New hardware, software, updates to drivers and software.

Do you use Pop or IMAP protocol for incoming email?

Try to change the port for smtp server to 25, or to 587.

Do you have any hardware from nVidia?

Do you connect to internet through LAN network, or ADSL/dialup etc.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Al Frank » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:38 am

Only recent change was the antivirus software as noted.

POP for incoming email

I'll try changing the SMTP port #s

Video card NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Epox motherboard with nVidia-nForce-6A61BPANC-00

Internet connection is DSL through a router. The other machines on my LAN connect to the net in the same fashion
Al Frank
Poco Tourist

Re: Socket 10054 Error

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:48 am

Al Frank wrote:Yes, I searched that error and didn't find anything that helped. I called my ISP and they read to me the same info I had found through Google. It was they who suspected that the problem lay in the email client.
It's easier to blame it on the software, instead of doing some investigation. :?
The only recent change to my system was uninstalling Trend Internet Security 2007 and replacing it with Nod 32 antivirus. However, disabling Nod didn't affect the socket error occurrence.
Ah, that may be the problem.
Was Trend removed completely from your system?
If not, some leftovers could interfere with NOD32.
See Uninstalling Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007.

If the internet connection is lost, download WinSock XP Fix first, prior to using Trend's removal tool.

Uninstall NOD32 first, reboot en use Trend's removal tool.
Reboot and use a good registy cleaner to remove all traces left.
Reboot again and reinstall NOD32

:!: OT: Also have a look at Extra settings for Nod32, in case you didn't know about this.

See if the above changes something to your problem.
Eric

Postby Al Frank » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:08 am

I uninstalled Trend before installing Nod. There are some folders left where Trend used to reside and one does contain an executable (PccPrm.exe). I've queried Trend about this issue so we'll see what they say. In the meantime, Trend's removal tool has removed itself, so I can't do further uninstalling.

My internet connection is working fine in all other respects.

Any suggestions for an effective and safe registry cleaner?

Thanx for the Nod Extra Setings page; I read that while investigating whether to try out the program. One setting I did try was to tell Nod not to scan outgoing email, but that had no effect.
Al Frank
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:23 am

Al Frank wrote:I uninstalled Trend before installing Nod. There are some folders left where Trend used to reside and one does contain an executable (PccPrm.exe). I've queried Trend about this issue so we'll see what they say. In the meantime, Trend's removal tool has removed itself, so I can't do further uninstalling.
Can't you remove that executable or is it locked by Windows?
If it is, you could boot into Safe Mode and remove it from there.
Another possibility is to use Unlocker. :)
Also verify your startup entries and processes. You could do that simply by using Ace Utilities.
My internet connection is working fine in all other respects.
It wouldn't hurt to run WinSock Fix, since it would repair broken sockets.
This could happen when removing malware, firewalls, antivirus & others.
Any suggestions for an effective and safe registry cleaner?
Regsupreme Pro, Ace Utilities, TuneUp Utilities and a free one Ccleaner.
:!: Make sure to let the application take a backup of your registry prior to removing anything.
I'm using them all, although I use System TuneUp (new interface of Ace Utilities) and it works on Vista. 8)
Thanx for the Nod Extra Setings page; I read that while investigating whether to try out the program. One setting I did try was to tell Nod not to scan outgoing email, but that had no effect.
You're welcome Al. ;)
It's been a while since I used it, so I'm not sure how to perform the action.
Have a look around at NOD32's official forum. See previous link about NOD32 extra settings.

Hope you'll get a quick response from Trend about that executable. :wink:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:21 am

Al Frank wrote:Internet connection is DSL through a router. The other machines on my LAN connect to the net in the same fashion

Thanks for the further details.

I'm not that technically minded to be sure whether this is completely relevant to your type of internet connection, but try this:
http://games.asobrain.com/faq/checksum.php
It helped with some 10054 error cases in the past.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:04 am

Al Frank wrote:One setting I did try was to tell Nod not to scan outgoing email, but that had no effect.
Maybe this will let you understand how it works: IMON incoming not outgoing mail. :)
Eric

Postby Al Frank » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:15 am

:D :D :D

And the winner for resolving the socket 10054 error is Tomas for suggesting disabling checksum under network properties. Thanks, Tomas.

And thanks to everyone else who contributed so generously with their help. I'm still going to follow up on any issues left over from the Trend uninstall.

Al Frank
Al Frank
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:28 pm

Al Frank wrote::D :D :D

And the winner for resolving the socket 10054 error is Tomas for suggesting disabling checksum under network properties.
Glad to hear his suggestion worked for you. :D

Let us know how it turns out with Trend. :wink:
Eric

Postby Fueler » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:03 am

Where is this checksum thing located exactly?
Fueler
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:57 am

Fueler wrote:Where is this checksum thing located exactly?

I tried to look for someone who could explain better than I could:
http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~brecht/serv ... in2000.htm

# On the Desktop, right-click the My Computer icon and select the Properties option from the pop-up menu. The System Properties window displays.
# Click the Hardware tab and then click Device Manager. The Device Manager window displays.
# Scroll down the list of hardware devices to Network Adapters. Click the plus (+) to the left of the icon to display the list of adapters currently configured.
# Double-click the one you want to configure. Properties window displays, showing the General tab.
Somewhere there shall be an option located that allows to disable checksum offloading, exact location and wording might differ with different brand of network adapter.

and from:
http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.c ... 35,00.html

1. Open the Registry and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters.
2. Add a new DWORD value named DisableTaskOffload and set it to 1.
3. You may need to restart the system to make these changes take effect.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To