[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco not working fully

Poco not working fully

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco not working fully

Postby Cliff » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:55 am

I have Poco Mail 3.1 build 880. About three weeks ago I stopped receiving emails. It was like a light switch turned off, yet nothing else changed within the PC; no new software was installed, and Poco itself was not reconfigured in any way.

Since then I turned off the email auto protect option within Norton, as I understand this can cause a conflict with Poco Mail, although these two software programs, with Norton's email auto protect activated, was working fine together for months. When testing my Poco email I make sure all programs in the task bar are turned off to avoid any potential conflicts with other software.

Current status: While my service provider can successfully send me test emails, I cannot receive any outside emails, nor can I send myself an email. Whenever I check my server for email through Poco, the window is always empty.

I would have thought that I would be able to receive either all or no emails, yet this seems to be some sort of choosey grey area within the Poco program.

Before I resort to re-installing the Poco program, I thought I would see if there are any less drastic fixes to this problem. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If the Poco software became corrupt by itself, the question is, how many times will this happen in the future. Two or three time a year? Hard to say. Does anyone else have similar forced re-installation stories to share?

With Poco, reinstalling the program is a pain because one has to completely reconfigure the custom color and font backgrounds, as well as recompile the address book, not to mention re-enter the service provider information to make the software active. So it's a last resort for me, but as far as I can tell, I may not have another option.
Cliff
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:11 am

The first thing that I would do is to use the menu command: "Mailbox > Compress all mailboxes".

Does your email provider have webmail and if so, can you verify that you have mail on the server? Also, PocoMail might have a problem with one of the messages on the server that causes PocoMail to fail to download the others. To test this, you could (if possible) delete all of the messages on the server via your email provider's webmail interface and then send yourself a test message.

You could temporarily disable all Incoming and Pre-Download filters in PocoMail to see if that helps (in each tab, click on the first filter, press Shift-End on the keyboard, then right-click on one of them and choose "Disable".

Note that if you're using "File > View Mail on Server", I'm not sure if that is compatible with SSL yet (it wasn't when PocoMail first added SSL support). So if you use SSL, you could try temporarily disabling it before you check the server.

You can check the error log. Press F12 if it's not already visible then click the "Log" tab.

You could delete the IDX file that PocoMail uses to keep track of the messages that it has left on your mail server. To find it, look for the PocoMail account name that you use for the server in C:\Program Files\PocoMail3\Mail\System.pocosys\Accounts.pocosys.
You have to close PocoMail before you do this.

If I think of any other suggestions I'll post them. Note that what you are experiencing is not normal. I don't remember anyone ever posting about the specific problem that you're having.
Pete

some success

Postby Cliff » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:29 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, Pete.

I have now done the following within Poco: compressed all mailboxes; changed Options - Reading Mail - Cache size to read 5000 KB from 0 KB; verified that all email filters are disabled (they were already).

At this point I can send myself an email but only with my 'primary' email address, but 'not' with any of my email aliases. Logically, when I send myself an email with the primary email, it does appear on my service provider's server which I can, indeed, view with Poco's 'view mail on server' option.

So now I think the problem is with my email aliases. They don't work on my service provider's webmail or within Poco. I just spoke with one of my service provider's troubleshooting technicians and he verified that my email aliases are active and should work in theory.

Now I'll continue to work with my service provider to look further into my email aliases. At this point it looks less like a problem with Poco specifically and more like an email alias issue.
Cliff
Drop-in Visitor

Postby tallcangal » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:35 pm

If you're not seeing anything email wise or on the server, have you made sure that you are on the online mode in PM and not offline?

As well, have you checked your firewall rules to make sure the connection is available.

More than likeliy though, you may have accidentally clicked in PM for the offline mode.
tallcangal
Frequent Visitor

Postby Cliff » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:00 am

Thanks for the input.

File - 'online operation' has a check mark beside it, and I've disabled the Windows XP firewall.

While I seem to be able to send out emails, I cannot receive them for some reason. Still looking...
Cliff
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Cliff » Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:53 pm

I've now solved the problem with my service provider.
Thanks to all for the input.
Cliff
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Flashfox » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:05 am

Cliff wrote:I've now solved the problem with my service provider.
Thanks to all for the input.

Please share with us what was the root cause as it might help others.
Flashfox

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To