[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Cannot save message n in folder y

Cannot save message n in folder y

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Cannot save message n in folder y

Postby Ernst » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:16 am

I have been using Pocomail for many years, and I like the program a lot. I am currently at version 4.5.0.3910. Recently, I have been getting an error message "Cannot save message n in folder y" about once a week when downloading several messages from an online mailbox. I check 5 accounts each time, and I have seen the problem with several of the accounts. The problem is caused by an interaction of Pocomail and my backup program, Iomega Automatic Backup Pro, which I have configured to copy each file to a backup location as soon as the file is changed. Here is what I believe is happening:

1. Pocomail downloads the first message, appends it to the mbx file, and closes the mbx file
2. IABP copies the mbx file to the backup location as it has changed
3. Pocomail downloads the next message(s) but is unable to write them to the mbx file because the file is still open by IABP
4. Pocomail reports an error indicating which messages it could not save. It also skips clearing the Online Folder, even if the Leave Mail on Server is not checked

So far so good. Now comes the problem. When I try to download the missing messages again by clicking the Check button, Pocomail "thinks" they have already been downloaded and, if the Leave Mail on Server is not checked, clears the Online Folder. I have lost several messages this way, which is not good. The only way I have found to retrieve the missing messages is to explicitly mark each of them for download in the Online Folder before Checking again. This is obviously tedious and error prone.

I believe this behavior to be a bug in Pocomail, which seems to treat the unsuccessful save differently in different places: the first time (correctly) by not clearing the Online Folder, the second time by "forgetting" that the download was unsuccessful.

I would like to get a safer and more convenient way to retrieve the missing messages, either by having the perceived bug fixed such that missing messages are downloaded automatically at the next Check (i.e. treat the failure to save consistently), or by providing an option to automatically mark the missing messages for download, so this doesn't have to be done manually.

Thanks.
Ernst
Ernst
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To