[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Marking Messages

Marking Messages

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Marking Messages

Postby EzraT » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:58 am

I use a PocoMail filter to automatically sort incoming messages from a busy listserv to a specific mailbox for later review.

When I see a thread that I want to follow closely, I mark one or more messages using right click mark to give them a highlighter color.

My question is, Can I also add a filter by subject line that would automatically "mark" a message. That way the thread of current interest would stand out when I read the mail in that box.

Thanks!

Ezra (A very big fan of PocoMail!) :D
EzraT
Poco Tourist

Re: Marking Messages

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:29 am

EzraT wrote:My question is, Can I also add a filter by subject line that would automatically "mark" a message. That way the thread of current interest would stand out when I read the mail in that box.
Sure, Ezra, you can make a filter on the subject to mark incoming messages. Just choose in filter under Perform 'Mark messages as'.
:!: Don't forget to switch Matching to 'ignore non-text' if the subject line changes.
ex. Topic reply notification ... -> mark message as
If the subject stays always the same then you can choose 'All characters'.

I hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby EzraT » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:37 am

Excellent! I missed that selection. Thanks!
EzraT
Poco Tourist

Postby Pete » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:50 pm

Hi Eric, this is a little off-topic, but I just wanted to clarify this. If I remember correctly, the "Matching - all characters" and the "Matching - ignore non-text" choices only affect whether or not symbols and other special characters are examined. "Non-text" might be characters like !@#$%^&*() and perhaps also non-displayable ones like control characters.

For "normal" characters like A to Z and 0 to 9, I believe that PocoMail always uses partial matches. That is, the text that one specifies in the filter could exist in any part of the subject, or it could equal the entire subject. I think that PocoMail would consider either one to be a match.
Last edited by Pete on Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:03 pm

Hi Pete,

This is what the help says:
Matching - match text as entered by selecting all characters or select ignore non-text to only match text information.
What's correct then? :roll:
As I see it, it doesn't only apply to these special characters or am I wrong here.
Eric

Postby Pete » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:29 pm

Maybe I was wrong to include !@#$%^&*() in my explanation. I don't know exactly what PocoMail considers "text" and "non-text". Perhaps it means displayable characters and non-displayable characters. In any case, I should tell you that I've never used that feature. Everything that I'm saying about that drop-down box is based on forum discussions that I only vaguely remember from the past.

The important thing here, though, is that we are talking about two different things. I don't believe that the "all characters" and "ignore non-text" selection affects whether or not PocoMail looks for partial matches in the subject. Instead, if you choose "ignore non-text", then PocoMail probably first strips all of the non-text characters from the subject, and then, after that's done, it tries to find the filter string anywhere in the subject, and this can be either a partial match or a complete match.

If I remember correctly, the "all characters" / "ignore non-text" selection was added a while ago (long before the Bayesian filtering) to handle spammers who put invisible characters and/or symbols in their subject like this:
"Hi, do you like g.i.r.l.s?"
If people had a filter to trash messages with subjects containing the word "girls" then there would be no match in this case unless you selected the "ignore non-text" option, which would (I think) first convert the subject to
"Hi do you like girls"
before it looked for the filter string ("girls") in the subject.

Now with Bayesian filtering, I think that the "all characters" / "ignore non-text" option might not be as useful anymore.

However, regardless of the "all characters" / "ignore non-text" setting, I think that PocoMail always looks for partial matches. Here's another example. If you use the default setting for that option ("all characters"), and the subject is "Hello, World", then filter strings of "Hello, World", "Hello", and "ello" would all match.

To continue this example, if you set that option to "ignore-non-text" and have the same subject, then the "Hello, World" filter string would no longer match (because the comma would no longer be in the subject), but "Hello" and "ello" would still match.
Pete

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:37 am

Well, Pete, thanks for that excellent explanation.
:oops: I was wrong in assuming 'ignore non-text' had something to do with partial text.
Never to old to learn. Now I know why my Events OnDisplay didn't work. Just tried it out.
Now with Bayesian filtering, I think that the "all characters" / "ignore non-text" option might not be as useful anymore.
You're right about the Bayesian filtering, it does a great job. Maybe replacing these options with exact subject, contains, begins with, ends with and so on.
This explains it a lot better.
Thanks again and sorry for my misunderstanding these functions. :wink:
Eric

Postby Pete » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:29 am

Yah, I wouldn't have known what it did either if I hadn't been reading these forums for so long. :)
Pete

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To