[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Multiple identities with one account?

Multiple identities with one account?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Multiple identities with one account?

Postby bball » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:40 am

I just downloaded the trial and have been playing around with it for some time. So far it looks great and seems to have almost everything I would want. Almost because it seems to miss one feature.
I have an POP3 account with my webhoster. This POP3 account has one "real" address (my main address and the account I use in Poco) and one alias which is forwarded to the same POP3 Box. If I get mail on the alias address I filter it on the To: Header and move it into its own mailbox. So far, so good.
If I reply to email going to the alias address, however, I have a problem. I want the new mail and the reply/forward email to have all the info for the alias address. E.g. the correct From:, a separate sig etc. Is there any way this could be accomplished? TheBat! accomplishes this by allowing to attach templates to a folder/mailbox. Poco doesn´t allow this, right? Only one set of template for each account, right? (I am not talking about manually selecting a template, I tend to forget stuff like that). The per-account setting desn´t help me as it´s only one POP3 box all the email goes into :(
Is there any way something like this can be accomplished?
bball
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Multiple identities with one account?

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:17 am

Hi bball & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
bball wrote:If I reply to email going to the alias address, however, I have a problem. I want the new mail and the reply/forward email to have all the info for the alias address. E.g. the correct From:, a separate sig etc. Is there any way this could be accomplished?
:roll: Have you also created this alias account? I've 4 alias accounts, but one original. I only check mail on my original account.
When I reply on a message sent to my alias address, the From, signature is automatically set for this account.

TheBat! accomplishes this by allowing to attach templates to a folder/mailbox.
And you have to copy it to other folders/mailboxes to make it work.
Poco doesn´t allow this, right? Only one set of template for each account, right?
:roll: What do you mean by one set?

I hope this helps. :wink:
Eric

Postby bball » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:09 pm

Eric wrote:Hi bball & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
Have you also created this alias account? I've 4 alias accounts, but one original. I only check mail on my original account.
When I reply on a message sent to my alias address, the From, signature is automatically set for this account.

I hadn´t when I wrote this post, have now. It doesn´t really help, though. It´s probably because I´m just too stupid I guess. I set up this alias account with the necessary info (templates, sig etc.) minus the server info. Unchecked "Check mail for this account". Now how is Poco supposed to know which mail belongs to this account if it doesn´t retrieve it? I tried the "Fetch mail for this address" option under "Virtual", didn´t help either. So know if I check mail it gets everything off the POP3 box with the original account but nothing is being treated as mail belonging to the alias one. Thus no correct sig and From:. How should I set this up? Could you give me a little more help with this?
Still, even IF I get it to work (which with your help will probably happen), will it pick the right info (From:, sig etc.) for NEWLY created email? And if so, how??? Do I have to be in the right mailbox when I click on "New"???

Poco doesn´t allow this, right? Only one set of template for each account, right?
:roll: What do you mean by one set?
I hope this helps. :wink:

I meant just one set of default templates per account. So no template per folder as in TheBat!. Sorry, was a bit misleading.

Jens
bball
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Andreas » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:33 pm

bball wrote:
Eric wrote:Hi bball & welcome to Poco Forums. :D
Have you also created this alias account? I've 4 alias accounts, but one original. I only check mail on my original account.

I hadn´t when I wrote this post, have now. It doesn´t really help, though. It´s probably because I´m just too stupid I guess. I set up this alias account with the necessary info (templates, sig etc.) minus the server info. Unchecked "Check mail for this account". Now how is Poco supposed to know which mail belongs to this account if it doesn´t retrieve it?

Set up a filter for incoming messages and use the 'change account to' filter action.
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:59 pm

I tried the "Fetch mail for this address" option under "Virtual", didn´t help either.
Exactly what did you try here? I am about to use it so I'll share experiences with you, but I'd like to know what you did. Seems that it is a two stage process: you need to let one account know which e-mail to pick up and the other account to know what e-mail *not* to pick up.
robin

Postby bball » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:08 pm

robin wrote:
I tried the "Fetch mail for this address" option under "Virtual", didn´t help either.
Exactly what did you try here? I am about to use it so I'll share experiences with you, but I'd like to know what you did. Seems that it is a two stage process: you need to let one account know which e-mail to pick up and the other account to know what e-mail *not* to pick up.

Ah, ok, I missed the part about the other account NOT picking up mail. I´ll try that.

I´ll also try the filter suggestion. Makes sense. I´m at work right now (it´s 10am here in Germany, please excuse my bad english btw) so I won´t be able to try these things before tonight.
Thanks!
bball
Drop-in Visitor

Postby robin » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:30 pm

The thing about the filter is that it is more difficult to separate the incoming into different accounts so that when you reply to them you get the correct account information - this is why I am going to try to use the "Virtual".

The background to this is that I have several mail identities depending on what I am doing, but only my main one has the anti-spam enabled. To avoid having to enable (and pay for) anti-spam on all of them, the non-main addresses are forwarded to the main identity.

ps Your English is fine - better than my German ! (and yes, I do speak some as a result of working there for two years some time ago).

FYI Robin: Edited by Eric - removed link to beta section, as it may lead to confusion.
robin

Postby bball » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:00 pm

Would love to read up on your "problem", but the forum seems to be restricted :(.
bball
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:41 am

Hi Jens,
bball wrote:Would love to read up on your "problem", but the forum seems to be restricted
Above post has been edited, sorry for the confusion.
robin wrote:this is why I am going to try to use the "Virtual".
Never tried it, so good luck. :wink:
Andreas wrote:Set up a filter for incoming messages and use the 'change account to' filter action.
I don't even use this option for incoming filters, let alone the standard templates per account.

:idea: I'll explain my method of using my alias email adresses.

I've two original email accounts, where I can create 5 alias adresses per account.

All mail is filtered to the appropriate mailbox/submailbox.
The only thing I've done is create my templates and creating Events OnCompose/OnReply/OnForward for certain mailboxes and submailboxes.
My signature is enabled in my alias accounts.

Only my two original accounts are set to check mail.

So when composing/replying/forwarding a message from within a certain mailbox/submailbox, the account is automatically changed and the signature for that account is applied.

Now all I've to do is insert the appropriate template I want to use.

Not at home for the moment, so I'll post the creation for these Events later on. Basically all you've to do is create an Event where the filter changes the account to an alias, when you're composing/replying/forwarding inside certain mailboxes/submailboxes.
Eric

Postby bball » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:45 am

Thanks! Got it to work 100% using events that trigger "change account" filters. Awesome!
bball
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:48 am

bball wrote:Thanks! Got it to work 100% using events that trigger "change account" filters. Awesome!
You're welcome. Glad you found it out yourself, as I was already putting screenshots together. :lol:
Eric

Postby bball » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:50 am

Eric wrote:
bball wrote:Thanks! Got it to work 100% using events that trigger "change account" filters. Awesome!
You're welcome. Glad you found it out yourself, as I was already putting screenshots together. :lol:

Just in time I guess... ;)
bball
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:09 am

bball wrote:Just in time I guess... ;)
Not quite, I was already finishing it, so I'll post it for further reference. :)
This is an example for creating an Event OnCompose.

The same filter must be created for OnReply or OnForward. Just choose the other event from the dropdown list.

:idea: Also check out this topic about signatures.
Eric

Postby Pete » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:26 am

As per Andreas' suggestion, I think that this is easiest to implement by using a "change account" command in the Incoming filters along with separate PocoMail accounts for each alias. Eric's use of Events is very creative :), but it seems to involve unnecessary work *unless* you need to specify a different template for each mailbox (and from your screenshots, Eric, it doesn't appear that you're doing this, but I might have missed something).

For what it's worth, this is how I do it:

• Create a PocoMail account for your main email address and separate accounts for each alias.
  • In each alias account, enter the Name, Email Address, disable all options for checking mail, choose a signature (if any), choose incoming and outgoing mailboxes (or use the defaults), choose the templates (if any), and after you click OK, make sure that the default account is the one for your main email address.
  • Create an Incoming filter for each alias that will change the account appropriately (and perform any other actions that you want). The filter should have two tests: one for if the alias is in the TO: field and another for if the alias is in the CC: field.

From this point forward, all of the newly downloaded messages will contain the correct account. When you reply to or forward any of these messages, PocoMail will automatically use the correct alias account (and its sig, templates, etc.).

bball wrote:[...] will it pick the right info (From:, sig etc.) for NEWLY created email?

For new messages, you have to select the correct account from the "From" drop-down box in the Composition Window. If you don't see it, then click on "Show" on the toolbar and enable it.

robin wrote:[...] this is why I am going to try to use the "Virtual".

This is an interesting idea. If you decide to pursue this, I would caution that you might have problems if you normally leave mail on the server (for N days or until you empty Trash) if you then use two different PocoMail accounts to download messages from the same server account. The information that PocoMail keeps to track server messages might become out of sync a lot between the two PocoMail accounts and this might significantly slow the download processes if PocoMail has to re-sync all the time.

Another caution is that you probably will have to set Max Threads to one to prevent the two PocoMail accounts from clobbering each other as they both try to download messages from the same server account at the same time.
Last edited by Pete on Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:01 am

Pete wrote:Eric's use of Events is very creative :), but it seems to involve unnecessary work *unless* you need to specify a different template for each mailbox (and from your screenshots, Eric, it doesn't appear that you're doing this, but I might have missed something).
Indeed, very creative. :lol:
Not unnecessary work for me, because all these messages are filtered to a Mailbox with submailboxes. So I only have to create 2 Events (OnCompose & OnReply). I never have to forward.
Eric wrote:Now all I've to do is insert the appropriate template I want to use.
:roll: Maybe I should have said Add Template Body, as I don't use default templates for these submailboxes, as well as per account. It all depends which template (= information) I want to use on certain messages.

I like it this way, but that's my opinion/preference. :wink:
And it beats Eudora by a longshot.
Eric

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To