[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - How to configure Poco for Gmail

How to configure Poco for Gmail

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby chrisretusn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:50 am

Um, 453 for SMTP? That is a new one. <shrug> I'm using port 465 for SMTP. I have also used 587.

With port 465 onlu "Enable secure connection (SSL)" needs to be checked.
With port 587 both "Enable secure connection (SSL)" and "Use TLS/STARTTLS" need to be checked.

For IMAP see Configuring other mail clients - Gmail Help

For POP see Configuring other mail clients - Gmail Help

Either way the SMTP port is the same for both only difference are Incoming ports IMAP = 993, POP3 = 995
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby chrisretusn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 am

Here is some screen shots of my setup.

Check "Use same username/password for Outgoing server". Note: It does not stay checked, this is so if you make changes you can check it again.

Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

gmail setup

Postby Isabelle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:17 am

I think that my problem may not be with PocoMail's configuration but with configuring my router firewall.

I have the following choices in Port Forwarding in the firewall:

IMAP IMAP3, IPSEC ESP, IPSEC IKE (have IPSEC ALG enabled by default), Client POP/IMAP, SMTP Client, and SMTP Host.

I am wondering if anyone could advise me on which should be enabled. I also have a choice of "host" or "dynamic" for most of them and would appreciate any knowledge you can impart on which is the correct choice? My IPSEC ALG is dynamic.

TIA and Cheers!
Isabelle
Poco Tourist

gmail setup IMAP

Postby Isabelle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 am

I am finally able to send mail using my gmail address (set up ports 993 and 587 in my router firewall).

However, I cannot check mail. I get the following error:
"Logging into imap.gmail.com POP server as user----------.
Socket error #10060 - connection failed"

Does anyone who has successfully used IMAP/gmail with PocoMail have any suggestions? Everything I have found specifies 993 is the correct port for IMAP.
Isabelle
Poco Tourist

Re: gmail setup IMAP

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:37 am

Isabelle wrote:I am finally able to send mail using my gmail address (set up ports 993 and 587 in my router firewall).
Good to hear that part is working. :D
However, I cannot check mail. I get the following error:
Something wrong there, since it shows a POP server in your log.

Here's mine, when checking mail:
Out mailbox is empty, no messages sent.
Checking mail for Gmail (13/08/2009 23:28:11)...
Logging into imap.gmail.com IMAP server as user ------

Does anyone who has successfully used IMAP/gmail with PocoMail have any suggestions? Everything I have found specifies 993 is the correct port for IMAP.
I'm using IMAP with Barca Pro, so no problems there. :?

Your account seems OK, but make sure it's set as IMAP in Gmail too.

I hope that helps. ;)
Eric

Postby chrisretusn » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:23 am

In the event you are using POP3 to connect to gmail:

Checking mail for Gmail (8/14/2009 06:19:28)...

Logging into pop.gmail.com POP server as user ----
1 message waiting on server;
1 message deleted, No messages left on server;
Logging off...

The port is 995 for POP3, with SSL checked.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

gmail update

Postby Isabelle » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:32 am

PocoMail has been valiant in withstanding all my attempts to set up my gmail and I am still trying. I am grateful for the help chris and eric have given. This is the first problem I've been unable to solve and I'll keep trying. It should be a straightforward matter and I have been given very clear instructions, but nothing seems to be working so far. It could have something to do with my router firewall--unfortunately, I can't get any support from my ISP because they took it over when Verizon dumped all of its rural lines, and the new company admittedly knows nothing about DSL--they just wanted the land lines. The router manufacturer will not offer support, saying it was made specifically for Verizon and all support should be directed to them.

In the meantime, I find that as a result of my repeated attempts, a lot of accounts with the same name are showing up in my Accounts list. If I check on "Edit", I find that all the information is blank. I cannot delete them. This is a mystery. Has anyone had any experience with this? How can I delete them?

TIA and cheers... hotter than Hades here today--hope it's cooler where you are (but probably not where Chris is, if I remember correctly)!
Isabelle
Poco Tourist

Re: gmail update

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Isabelle wrote:It could have something to do with my router firewall--unfortunately,

As I sat pondering a solution to your problem, I got to thinking. In most cases port forwarding shouldn't be required unless you are using a program the needs to listen for incomming connections. I doubt it's your router.

I can't get any support from my ISP because they took it over when Verizon dumped all of its rural lines, and the new company admittedly knows nothing about DSL--they just wanted the land lines. The router manufacturer will not offer support, saying it was made specifically for Verizon and all support should be directed to them.
That is one heck of a predicament.

In the meantime, I find that as a result of my repeated attempts, a lot of accounts with the same name are showing up in my Accounts list. If I check on "Edit", I find that all the information is blank. I cannot delete them. This is a mystery. Has anyone had any experience with this? How can I delete them?

I've never seen this, but this could be part of the problem. You could try making a backup of accounts.ini then delete it. This will result in you having to recreate all of your accounts again.

TIA and cheers... hotter than Hades here today--hope it's cooler where you are (but probably not where Chris is, if I remember correctly)!

It is cooler here than yesterday, 28C now at 10:29am, yesterday it got up to 34C. Just a normal and typical day. :)
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:50 pm

chrisretusn wrote:I doubt it's your router.
That's what I was thinking too. Never had a problem with routers when using email. :?
I've never seen this, but this could be part of the problem. You could try making a backup of accounts.ini then delete it. This will result in you having to recreate all of your accounts again.
I'm almost certain that's a problem. Corrupt ini-files can cause all kind of troubles.

I still don't understand why it shows a POP instead of an IMAP server in that log :?:

As for our Belgian ISP's, they won't support routers, nor offer help with it.
Pity, but that's the reality. :cry:

Hope you'll be able to find the culprit Isabelle. ;)
Eric

Postby Cloudy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Eric wrote:As for our Belgian ISP's, they won't support routers, nor offer help with it.
Pity, but that's the reality. :cry:

Yeah, and they also offer a "free" Transfer Limit :lol:

I remember from the past when you were only allowed to connect 1 PC per account so supporting a router was not needed then but now they allow you to connect multiple system I feel they should start to support routers (even if it's just a limited number of brands and types).
Barca Pro 2.8 | PocoMail 4.8 | myInfoToGo 2.1

"Imagination is more important then knowledge" --Albert Einstein
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:26 pm

Eric wrote:I still don't understand why it shows a POP instead of an IMAP server in that log :?:

:idea:
I assume you mean this?
Isabelle wrote:However, I cannot check mail. I get the following error:

ImageThe clue is staring us in the face. If it was snake it would have bitten us.

I think Isabelle configured her Gmail account as a POP account vise an IMAP account. That would explain being able to send but not receive. imap.gmail.com.

Isabelle have you tried this account with pop.gmail.com on port 995?
Last edited by chrisretusn on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Eric wrote:I still don't understand why it shows a POP instead of an IMAP server in that log :?:
:idea:
I assume you mean this?
Isabelle wrote:However, I cannot check mail. I get the following error:

ImageThe clue is staring us in the face. If it was snake it would have bitten us.

I think Isabelle configured her Gmail account as a POP account vise an IMAP account. That would explain being able to send but not receive. imap.gmail.com.

Isabelle have you tried this account with pop.gmail.com on port 995?
Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:28 pm

Cloudy wrote:Yeah, and they also offer a "free" Transfer Limit :lol:

I remember from the past when you were only allowed to connect 1 PC per account so supporting a router was not needed then but now they allow you to connect multiple system I feel they should start to support routers (even if it's just a limited number of brands and types).
If you ask for wireless connection, then they will install an access point, not a router.
Since you can connect 255 wireless devices to a router with one IP, it's understandable why they don't support it.
That's also why I always recommend buying a router instead of subscribing to the wireless connection from their ISP. :lol:
That's what I was thinking all along, although there's something wrong with her accounts too. :?
Eric

Postby Cloudy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 pm

Eric wrote:That's what I was thinking all along, although there's something wrong with her accounts too. :?

I have seen this in the Bat! aswell.

if you initally setup the account as IMAP and later decide that you want to use POP3 instead (or vise-versa) you cannot change it and you have to delete the account and start over from scrarch.

Also and I think this has been said here aswell, in GMAIL you can select to use POP3 or IMAP so I guess it should be set there correctly aswell.
Barca Pro 2.8 | PocoMail 4.8 | myInfoToGo 2.1

"Imagination is more important then knowledge" --Albert Einstein
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:36 pm

I use both. I setup two accounts for Gmail, one for POP that I use daily and an IMAP account that I use on occasion to clean up sent messages and check my spam folder. I have several accounts setup up this way.

Any way I sure hope Isabelle gets things sorted out.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To