[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - SLOW compression: Is SSD a possible solution?

SLOW compression: Is SSD a possible solution?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

SLOW compression: Is SSD a possible solution?

Postby SzDoc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:58 am

So, I have lots of messages and thus I try to do a compression cycle of all of my folders about every week or 2. This takes some 20 min., and drags my box down materially while running. I have deleted and rebuilt the IDX files as suggested in a previous post, with no change. I suspect that this slow compression is largely or entirely due to a large volume of messages.

Anyway, I have considered migrating my PM data files (as well as some of my other unwieldly data files) to a small SSD. The smaller fast SSD are falling (somewhat) in cost, and perhaps this might be faster. My PM data directory is presently about 1.6G.

Does anyone have any experience with putting PM data onto an SSD? Is this indeed any faster?

And, is there any other strategy for speeding up compression?

Thanks.
SzDoc
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:28 am

Speed might be affected if there is not much space on the harddrive remaining, or perhaps even if the harddrive is too fragmented.

Antivirus might affect the compression speed - not sure if I remember correctly, but I believe I have seen significant improvement after I replaced AVG antivirus with another one years ago.

One factor might be if you have messages with large attachments, and lot of them.

What I'd suggest is to try let Pocomail do the compression automatically. That way here and there a folder will be compressed, which might interrupt you for few seconds or perhaps a minute if it's too large.
But if you run compression manually, all folders are recompressed, event those that don't need it.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby SzDoc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:55 am

Partition has 35G (about 60%) free. I defrag every 2 weeks or so. And, automatic compression is turned on. However, PM seems to run better if I also manually compress periodically.

A/V is Zonealarm. I haven't tried compression with it off...

Thanks.
SzDoc
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To