[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMail wont keep settings. [Mod: Resolved]

PocoMail wont keep settings. [Mod: Resolved]

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PocoMail wont keep settings. [Mod: Resolved]

Postby ianw » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:16 pm

I had a problem with PocoMail not opening emails properly in a previous thread, I fixed it by re-instaling XP Pro.

I now have another problem in this installation.

PocoMail will not retain its settings.
I have uninstalled about 6 times, and searched for remnants in C: each time and ran RegSupreme Supreme registry cleaner.

I installed in a different partition with no success.
In previous installs in Vista and XP when I installed it all I did was save the settings and emails etc and when I installed Poco all I did was remove the email & folders and settings files and copy my saved ones over.

That never ever caused me a problem untill now. Worked every time.
Yesterday I again re-installed Poco but I only copied over the email folders, that is, attachs, templates etc.
Then I setup Poco and it worked untill a few minutes ago when all the settings were reset to default.

Any ideas. Would my system have anything to do with it.
Asus P5E mobo.
Intel Duo X8500 3.16gb CPU
4 gb Corsair Ram
Antec 650watt PSU
nVidia GTS 8800 graphics card.

There was one thing when I re-installed XP Pro Update two days ago.
The OS was just installed, no programs or anything.
I ran the ASUS utility CD to install the drivers.

I never had this in all previous installtions with this CD, this is the first time.
I ran the automatically install drivers option, the first driver was the X38 chipset ,it seemed to go OK untill it rebooted and I got a message after the BIOS had been read as follows >

----------
1 make a driver for SATA Raid
2 Make a driver for SATA APCI (I dont recall the exact word on that)

and
3 select freeDOS.
--------
I did not want 1 or 2 and because I could not cancel them in any way I selected 3 but I dont know what syntax to use, though I tried all I could think of.

Then to get it restarted I removed the ASUS CD and restarted the PC, when it passed the point where the selections above were offered I put in the CD and the PC started up OK and the CD installations "seemed" to continue on OK.

I'm wondering if the chipset drivers are "the problem" in not being properly installed, I downloaded the drivers from ASUS and ran them and it came up with the "Success" message.

A long post but I want to give all the details so you know the situation.

Thanks in advance.
ianw

Re: PocoMail wont keep settings.

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:01 pm

ianw wrote:I now have another problem in this installation.

PocoMail will not retain its settings.
:shock: Never heard about that. Are you sure nothing is marked Read-Only, since that would cause problems to Poco accessing those files?
I have uninstalled about 6 times, and searched for remnants in C: each time and ran RegSupreme Supreme registry cleaner.
Ah, RegSupreme Pro. :)
I installed in a different partition with no success.
In previous installs in Vista and XP when I installed it all I did was save the settings and emails etc and when I installed Poco all I did was remove the email & folders and settings files and copy my saved ones over.
:!: If Vista, make sure not to install your mail directory and others in Program Files.
For example, mine is installed on my D: drive.
Then I setup Poco and it worked untill a few minutes ago when all the settings were reset to default.
Did it reset when you restarted :?:

Also make sure there's not another poco.ini present.
Perform a search to see if there's more than one on your drive.
Any ideas. Would my system have anything to do with it.
Asus P5E mobo.
Intel Duo X8500 3.16gb CPU
4 gb Corsair Ram
Antec 650watt PSU
nVidia GTS 8800 graphics card.
Concerning Nvidia, have a look at Barca Pro 2.5.0.3910 keeps freezing.

For the rest I don't think that would cause problems, since my brother also has an Asus, which works fine with Poco. 8)
I'm wondering if the chipset drivers are "the problem" in not being properly installed, I downloaded the drivers from ASUS and ran them and it came up with the "Success" message.
Not sure about that. Will have to perform a search about those drivers.
A long post but I want to give all the details so you know the situation.
No problem and thanks for all the details.
It will surely help to find the problem with your installation, if possible.

Have a nice weekend. ;)
Eric

Postby ianw » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 pm

From one of the posts in those you suggested I disabled Poco in nvidia nVIEW.
If that don't work then I'll revert to an older nvidia driver, I dont do any gaming on this PS so that will not be a problem.
That may be the culprit because I only got this new driver last week and everything was OK untill then.
BTW, I use DriverCleanerdotNET to remove drivers, its superb.

www.drivercleaner.net

I also searched for another instance of Poco.ini, there are none.

I'll see what happens. I forgot to mention in my post above, the settings remain OK, but now and again it reverts to default.
I'll observe what I have been doing before I run Pocomail as that may indicate something.

BTW, Pocomail has been running OK on this mobo for some months with no problems.

Eric, thanks for helping, I'll report back on what happens.
ianw

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:34 am

ianw wrote:From one of the posts in those you suggested I disabled Poco in nvidia nVIEW.
If that don't work then I'll revert to an older nvidia driver, I dont do any gaming on this PS so that will not be a problem.
Indeed, it's a returning problem for those using Nvidia drivers.
Hope it will work or else as you said reverting to a previous version.
That may be the culprit because I only got this new driver last week and everything was OK untill then.
Ah, that points the finger to a possible culprit. Nvidia again. :(
BTW, I use DriverCleanerdotNET to remove drivers, its superb.
Not expensive at all. I'll check it out ASAP.
Thanks. :)
I also searched for another instance of Poco.ini, there are none.
Good to hear there's no other file present.
I'll see what happens. I forgot to mention in my post above, the settings remain OK, but now and again it reverts to default.
Does it revert when using the Poco or does it revert when restarting it?
Could be significant to find what causing it.
Can't say I've seen it happen here before. :?
I'll observe what I have been doing before I run Pocomail as that may indicate something.
Indeed, so report back with all you can find regarding this problem.
BTW, Pocomail has been running OK on this mobo for some months with no problems.
And I hope it will be running for more years to come, as soon as we've pinpointed the cause to all this.
Eric, thanks for helping, I'll report back on what happens.
You're most welcome Ian. ;)
Looking forward to your report.
Eric

Postby ianw » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:26 pm

Yesterday I opened Poco many times just to see if it was the Poco I know and love - and yes it was.

This morning I turned on the 'puter and let it idle for about 5 minutes while I made my coffee, I came back to it and ran Poco and all was well.

This is about 40 minutes later, I'm waiting on an email so as I had Firefox 3.0.3 running I shut it down and opened Poco, the settings had been reset to default.

The only thing I had done was to install the very latest update for Windows about 7 minutes ago, it was released yesterday evening.

I went into nview and entered Poco and then I set the options in Poco again.
I did a scan of my 'puter a few days ago using -=
Nod32 ESSuite
SUPERAntispyware
Trojan Hunter
Malwarebyter AntiMalware
and
Spybot

My system was clean, in fact, I've not had any infiltrations at any time.

Theres only 1 more thing I can do that I can think of, I install Windows in stages, that is, I install it, configure it, install my hardware then if it is OK I activate it. If at any time I run into a problem - like now- I reinstall a previous image I had made with Acronis True Image and off I go, no re-installing windows.

I'm off to wipe my partition and re-install the first image of Poco.

Of course I'll keep you informed.
ianw

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:01 pm

ianw wrote:This is about 40 minutes later, I'm waiting on an email so as I had Firefox 3.0.3 running I shut it down and opened Poco, the settings had been reset to default.
Weird why it resets all of a sudden. Seems your poco.ini has been deleted.
Hope you keep one with your settings as a backup :?:

What you could do is replace it with the backup and as soon as it happens again you note down the date of the current poco.ini, which I think will be different from the one you placed there.

Can't think of anything else. :roll:
The only thing I had done was to install the very latest update for Windows about 7 minutes ago, it was released yesterday evening.
Updates can cause all sorts of problems, although I think it's not the case here.
I went into nview and entered Poco and then I set the options in Poco again.
I did a scan of my 'puter a few days ago using -=
Nod32 ESSuite
SUPERAntispyware
Trojan Hunter
Malwarebyter AntiMalware
and
Spybot
Hope you're not running all those anti-spyware progs in realtime. I too use SAS Pro, but MBAM is on demand.
As for Spybot, check if Tea-timer isn't active, since that could cause all sorts of trouble. :?
My system was clean, in fact, I've not had any infiltrations at any time.
Same here and we make sure it stays that way. :lol:
Theres only 1 more thing I can do that I can think of, I install Windows in stages, that is, I install it, configure it, install my hardware then if it is OK I activate it. If at any time I run into a problem - like now- I reinstall a previous image I had made with Acronis True Image and off I go, no re-installing windows.
I'm thinking about a cleaning program, like for example Ace Utilities (System TuneUp), which could delete files accidently when running a scan.
This only happens if not configured correctly. :(
I'm off to wipe my partition and re-install the first image of Poco.
Lots of work to do, so I'll leave you to it.
Of course I'll keep you informed.
Hope you'll discover something by installing in stages.

In the meantime a very good weekend to you & your family. ;)
Eric

Postby ianw » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:06 pm

>Weird why it resets all of a sudden. Seems your poco.ini has >been deleted.
>Hope you keep one with your settings as a backup

Nope, it was not deleted.
Yep, I have backups.

I only run in real time;
Nod32
SAS
Trojan Hunter
and Ad Muncher.

the others are used "as and When" if you know what I mean.

I finished the re-installation last evening, I'm saying nothing as I don't want to put the jinx on it.

====================
I use Window Washer to remove the junk in my OS, it suggestes its custom settings, that is programs it finds.
I had not noticed that untill now.
It had selected 2 for Poco so I unchecked them.

Recent Files and
User Data

Are you thinking what I'm thinking ?
=======================

Also in My O&O defragmenter V11 I set it to not defrag Poco.

Only time will tell.

BTW, I use a another super program, Macro Scheduler.
the user writes scripts (not too difficult to write) to do what it is he wants it to do.
I have scripts to save settings for all my programs, 1 script to save the settings for 1 program and another to restore the settings.
Thus, I click on Save Poco and it saves its settings.
I click on Restore Poco and the settings are restored.
the same for the other programs.

To protect myself from myself I have 2 hard drives running and I save the files to 4 locations over the 2 hard drives, I can tell you, that has paid off many times.

If anyone is interested here is the url.
http://www.mjtnet.com
I have no connection at all with it, except I have been using it for years.

Informed I will keep you Eric, many thanks and you also enjoy the weekend.

Do want any rain, there is plenty to spare here, it has rained almost every day for the last 4 months, and most is heavy, I could try to send you a lot of our rain if you so desire. :wink:
ianw

Postby ianw » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:37 am

Eric,
I dont want to put the jinx on things, I'm sending and receiving emails OK, things look OK.

Do you understand what I mean.

Assuming its OK, very and I mean very, many thanks for helping on that problem.

You are a real gentleman, that is, a very nice man - as is Tomas and everyone else.
ianw

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:20 am

ianw wrote:Eric,
I dont want to put the jinx on things, I'm sending and receiving emails OK, things look OK.
That's fine news after all. :D
Do you understand what I mean.
Assuming its OK, very and I mean very, many thanks for helping on that problem.
Let us hope it stays that way.
Really glad it's working now, so my guess it's Window Washer who's responsible for this. Not a fact, but a guess, so I'm not pointing fingers to it yet.
You are a real gentleman, that is, a very nice man - as is Tomas and everyone else.
Thanks and as always my pleasure to help you fix this annoying problem, as does Tomas and anyone else willing to help a fellow user. :)

Keep me informed in case it would return. ;)
Eric

Postby ianw » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Eric,
I believe it has been fixed as no problems since last friday evening.

I really am glad as IMO its the best email program out there.

Thanks again.
ianw

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:39 am

ianw wrote:Eric,
I believe it has been fixed as no problems since last friday evening.
That's indeed great news. Glad for you it's solved. :D
I really am glad as IMO its the best email program out there.
Wouldn't want another at home to work with.
Not perfect yet, but it's getting there with every new release IMO.
Thanks again.
The pleasure's mine to help you with this dilemma.

Enjoy Poco & a great weekend ahead for you and your family. :wink:
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To