[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Export mail to Word?

Export mail to Word?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Export mail to Word?

Postby weese237 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:35 pm

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if I can export a mailbox (.mbx) to Word or if it can be done at all?

Thank you!

Louise
weese237
Poco Tourist

Re: Export mail to Word?

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:34 am

weese237 wrote:Can anyone tell me if I can export a mailbox (.mbx) to Word or if it can be done at all?
Don't know of a way to export it to Word Louise. :?

You could however use the View in Browser script, but you'll have to display it mail by mail and afterwards copy/paste.

Maybe someone does have another suggestion. ;)
Eric

Postby weese237 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:50 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

I finally was able to get it into word. I opened the .mbx file using Wordpad, (notepad didn't work well) saved as rtf and then opened in Word. I have a lot of cleanup to do though! I got all the header info, code etc. but at least I can work with it.

Thanks again

Louise
weese237
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:01 am

weese237 wrote:Thanks for the reply.
You're welcome Louise. ;)
I finally was able to get it into word. I opened the .mbx file using Wordpad, (notepad didn't work well) saved as rtf and then opened in Word. I have a lot of cleanup to do though! I got all the header info, code etc. but at least I can work with it.
Indeed, the MBX-file is just text.
You could use something like EditPlus to clean up the HTML.

Lots of work cleaning it up. :?
Eric

Postby Jon » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:48 am

There are two methods which come to mind. Both are imperfect. You could select all of the messages you want to save as text and then "Save As" text files to a folder. There are two disadvantages to this. First is that although the subject of the email becomes the title of the individual text file (and I think this can be altered using a macro in the save as file name choice) there are no headers in the files that are created. Second is that you get a lot of files.

Another way that would include the headers would be something like this. There is a way to create a print driver in Windows that prints to text. It is not hard. Select the messages you wish to save as text. Now print using the text driver and you should be OK. I have not used this method for quite a while, but if I remember correctly, it worked very well. Not only that, but you can alter the print template to include header items not normally displayed and even a message delimiter.

All this can be done without going through the headache of cleaning up an mbx file.

One final thought. The steps I spoke of are no cost. If your message base is large or if you need finer control, you might want to look at Mailbag Assistant by Fookes Software. A cheaper alternative (but much slower) is the PocoMail Converter by ABC Amber. I think this last choice has the option of direct conversion to Word, WordPerfect, PDF, HTML, etc.

Jon
Jon
Poco Tourist

Postby weese237 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:59 am

Thanks much to both of you for the suggestions! Will give them a try and see which one works best for me.

Thanks again!
Louise
weese237
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To