[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Moving PocoMail's \Mail folder causes emails to disappear

Moving PocoMail's \Mail folder causes emails to disappear

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Moving PocoMail's \Mail folder causes emails to disappear

Postby JMM » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:40 am

I tried doing a search & perusal within the posts for my problem, but couldn't find anything. Firstly, the problem below relates to actual directories/subdirectories on my hard drive, and not the folders/subfolders within PocoMail itself. I should mention that my version of PocoMail is 4.5, under Windoze XP with SP-3. Also, sorry to be so long-winded & repetitive (in places) :wink:, but that's for clarity.

The following relates to these directories on my hard drive (the D:\ part just means that it's on a separate partition from my system (Windoze) one, which is C:\) .....

D:\Programs\Internet\PocoMail\ (original location of all subfolders, except attachments)
D:\Programs\Internet\PocoMail Attachments\ (location of my attachments)
D:\Programs\Internet\Internet\PocoMail Data\ (new data location of my \Mail folder)

Years ago, under a previous version of PocoMail, I moved my attachments out of my main folder in order to keep them separate, so that when I'm backing up my PocoMail installation, it doesn't backup my attachments. This, for the most part, has worked pretty good, except every time I do a reinstall of PocoMail (after reformatting my C: and reinstalling Windoze), although my actual attachments are still in ..\Internet\PocoMail Attachments\ and I tell PocoMail after I install it where the attachments are, PocoMail can't see any of the attachments prior to the reinstall of PocoMail. But, I can live with that, and have been for a coulple of years. But, I digress.

My problem today, is that in perusing some of the posts in here, I saw that some people keep their data (i.e. \Mail) separate from the main folder. I like that idea, and tried to do the same thing myself. Originally my data folder was ..\Internet\PocoMail\Mail\, so what I did today was create a new folder called ..\Internet\PocoMail Data\ and ..\Internet\PocoMail Data\Mail\, then told PocoMail where my new mail directory was, shut down PocoMail completely, moved the contents of my \Mail folder over to ..\Internet\PocoMail Data\Mail\ and fired up PocoMail again.

But, this is where the problem is. Originally I thought it was caused by the 4.8 Beta, but I've confirmed that it isn't, as it's present in 4.5 as well. When PocoMail starts back up, and uses the data from the new location, all of my emails since June 2008 are missing :shock:. They're not lost, because when I tell PocoMail that my Mail Directory is back at it's original location, shut PocoMail down, move my \Mail folder back to it's original location (..\Internet\PocoMail\Mail\) and fire PocoMail back up again, all my emails (up until today) are back again :). I've repeated the process a couple of times, moving my data back & forth between ..\Internet\PocoMail\Mail\ and ..\Internet\PocoMail Data\Mail\ with the same result ..... whenever I'm using ..\Internet\PocoMail\Mail\, all the emails are there, but whenever I use ..\Internet\PocoMail Data\Mail\ they're missing. Bummer.

Now, that date of 6 June 2008, after which all emails are missing ..... that date seems to be the last time that I installed PocoMail (after having reformatted my C: and reinstalling Windoze).

Also, it seems that when PocoMail is installed (under XP), it creates & uses a folder under C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\PocoMail, and it's this folder & its contents that I think are causing my problem of the missing emails ..... I just can't figure out how or why. During my installations of PocoMail, I always tell it where to install PocoMail to during the installation process (i.e. I change the install location from the default to D:\Programs\XP\Internet\PocoMail).

I can go back to having the data folder in its original location (..\Internet\PocoMail\Mail\) & everything will be back to normal, but it would be nice if I can get it working under its own Data directory (..\Internet\PocoMail Data\Mail\). So if anyone has any ideas, possible causes, and hopefully fixes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
JMM
Drop-in Visitor

Postby JMM » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:48 pm

It never fails ..... you wash your car, it rains; you light a cigarette, your meal comes; you don't ask a question, the problem persists; you ask a question, you figure it out for yourself 8). I saw this fix about using a restore (under the Beta section, I think, but not sure), so I can't take credit for it myself. In case anyone else has a similar problem, here's how (I hope) I fixed my problem .....
  1. First, with my Data (\Mail) folder back in its default location, I did a backup from within PocoMail. This ensured that I had a backup of all my emails, up until now.
  2. Next, I copied the contents of my PocoMail folder elsewhere (to a temporary location).
  3. I then un-installed PocoMail, and then deleted the entire contents from my \PocoMail folder, and also from my C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\PocoMail folder as well.
  4. Next, I copied the following 3 INI files back, from my above temporary folder, to my \PocoMail folder:

accounts.ini
    filters.ini
    poco.ini
  5. Then, in the poco.ini file, I changed MailPath=, from
    D:\Programs\XP\Internet\PocoMail4\Mail\ to
    D:\Programs\XP\Internet\PocoMail4 Data\Mail\
  6. I then installed a clean copy of PocoMail, and of course there were no emails present.
  7. Next, from within PocoMail, I did a Restore, making sure that I DEselected Program preferences and settings and Saved attachments (the latter which was not backed up anyway). When PocoMail did the restore, it used my modified setting in my poco.ini file, and placed my \Mail items into its new ..\Internet\PocoMail4 Data\Mail\ folder. And bingo, all my emails were back, up until today, and in their new proper location undel my new Data folder.
I also noticed, after I carried out the above steps, that my C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\PocoMail was still empty, so that must've been left over from when I was running PocoMail under Vista a year or so ago. And when I switched back to XP around that time, I must've copied it over from Vista to XP, even though it's not needed under XP, and now it was causing my problems. I also tried opening an attachment, and whereas before in previous re-installations of PocoMail I wouldn't be able to open attachments which arrived prior to my re-installations, now I can. Go figure. So, now I have a clean installation of PocoMail, with everything working (I hope).

As an aside, I'm going to repeat most of the above steps again, but this time I'm going to delete my current backup (.BAK) before I do the above steps. The reason for this, is that I saw in someone else's post somewhere, that if you don't delete the previous backup first, it maintains all the folders & files from previous backups, some of which may no longer be needed. So by deleting the .BAK first, then doing a backup, the backup process only backs up what is needed by the current version of PocoMail you're running. So when you un-install & delete everything, then do a fresh re-installation & restore, theoretically all that should be left is whatever folders/files the current version of PocoMail needs. No idea of I'm correct about this, or not, but worth a try 8).

Anyway, hopefully nobody else runs into my initial problem today, but at least now they have a fix in case they do. Sorry for the false alarm.
JMM
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To