[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Deleting Contact Group

Deleting Contact Group

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Deleting Contact Group

Postby juror56 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:37 pm

I can't seem to find a way to delete a contact group I no longer need. I deleted the contacts (1 at a time!) from the group, but now that the group is empty I can't get rid of it.

How do I do this?
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
juror56
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:09 am

In the Contact Sidebar select the Group you want to delete, right click on it and select Delete Contact or press the DEL key. You will be prompted to approve the deletion, this will also delete and contacts stored in that Group folder.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby juror56 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:00 am

In my previoius post I said: "I deleted the contacts (1 at a time!) from the group, but now that the group is empty I can't get rid of it"

I KNOW how to delete the contacts. I want to delete the GROUP!

I had a group of people to whom I sent a newsletter every month and had the recipients in a group called "Mailing List." I no longer do the newsletter. so I deleted the contacts, but now have an empty group ("folder" ) called Mailing List that I want to get rid of. How do I do this?
Ralph Waldo Emerson
juror56
Poco Tourist

Deleting a Contact Group

Postby roadrunner » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:16 am

Hello,

Highlight your "contacts." Contacts will show your books and groups. Right click on the "books or contact group." Then click on manage books. A Contacts box will show your currently installed address books or groups. Highlight which one and click the delete button.

I hope this helps you.

Have a wonderful day.

roadrunner
roadrunner
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 am

juror56 wrote:In my previoius post I said: "I deleted the contacts (1 at a time!) from the group, but now that the group is empty I can't get rid of it"

I KNOW how to delete the contacts. I want to delete the GROUP!

The procedure I gave you above will delete a group. Did you try it?
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby juror56 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm

Yes I tried it (already did that), and no it doesn't get rid of the empty folder.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
juror56
Poco Tourist

Re: Deleting a Contact Group

Postby juror56 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:50 pm

roadrunner wrote:Hello,

Highlight your "contacts." Contacts will show your books and groups. Right click on the "books or contact group." Then click on manage books. A Contacts box will show your currently installed address books or groups. Highlight which one and click the delete button.

I hope this helps you.

Have a wonderful day.

roadrunner

Maybe I am not explaining this well. The folder I am trying to delete is a subfolder of the "Address" book. Though this subfolder is empty it will not go away.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
juror56
Poco Tourist

Postby blakelyg » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:47 am

juror56 wrote:
Maybe I am not explaining this well. The folder I am trying to delete is a sub-folder of the "Address" book. Though this sub-folder is empty it will not go away.

I had this problem as well. The steps I took are as follows.
First de-list the address book (Options or manage address books).
Next go the the folder that contains the addresses (Address under the Pocomail folder).
Then open the .ini file (address.ini was mine but it is the name of the address book that has the group in it that you want to get rid of).
In your editor search for the name of the group. Delete from the start of the group name to the end of the entry (including the comma). Save the ini. (Please be sure to do a backup before you do any of these changes).
Reopen Pocomail/Barca etc. and go to the options address books and add back in the specific address book by selecting the applicable ini file.
The group entry will be gone.
There may be an easier or better way to do this, but I could not find it.
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby juror56 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:43 am

blakelyg wrote:I had this problem as well. The steps I took are as follows...(snip)

Thanks!! This was just the information I needed. I should have thought to edit the ini file. Worked like a champ.

I, too, think there should be an easier way to do this. (Right click on the folder and select "Delete Group" comes to mind.) The two of us can't be the only ones to have this need. :!:

BTW, by default, PM makes a backup of the "address.ini" file called "address.~ini" in the same folder as "address.ini."

Thanks, again.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
juror56
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:26 pm

juror56 wrote:

Yes I tried it (already did that), and no it doesn't get rid of the empty folder.

Well it works for me, but I am glad you got it solved.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To