[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Found a fix for a memory leak problem....

Found a fix for a memory leak problem....

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Found a fix for a memory leak problem....

Postby Rick Simon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:13 am

I've been using Pocomail for years but started having problems with it. When I got some down time to look more deeply into it I found that every time it checked for new mail the memory usage (via Task Manager) would increase to over 780MB and stay there. This occurred whether the app was maximized or minimized at the time it checked for mail. If I then minimized the app (maximized then minimized if the app had been minimized initially) the mem usage would drop back down to ~6-8MB and stay there until the next time it checked for mail.

I went through these forums and the web in general for solutions to this type of problem in Poco but none of them had any effect (reinstallation and restore, compacting folders, system.pocosys files, NVidia drivers, shutting down other programs that might be "interfering" with Poco, etc). I then contacted Poco's help desk and they replied with the same basic info I had already found and tried.

I was looking at dropping Poco completely and moving to a different email app but I decided to give it one more try. It took quite a while but I did track it down to a problem within Poco. The method I finally came up with to "fix" it is a royal pain, but it seems to have cleared up the problem entirely.

1) download a fresh copy of the Poco installer if you don't already have one handy.

2) use File:Backup and Restore:Backup to create a full back up of Poco.

3) use File:Export:Folder:Netscape to export a copy of each individual mail (sub)folder. This is a pain if you're like me and have well over a hundred folders/subfolders.

4) use Control Panel:Add/Remove Programs to completely uninstall Poco.

5) the uninstall leaves a lot of files/folders on the hard drive. I went into the Program Files\Pocomail4 directory and manually deleted everything left in it after the uninstall.

6) use the Poco installer to reinstall Poco.

7) use File:Backup and Restore:Restore to restore your backed up copy of Poco BUT make sure you do NOT restore the Data category.

8) use File:Import:Messages to import each individual mail (sub)folder which you exported in step 3 above. This is an even bigger pain due to the way Import:Messages is set up.

That should do it. Poco's mem usage on my system never goes above 12MB now.
Rick Simon
New Arrival

Re: Found a fix for a memory leak problem....

Postby DaveP » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:42 am

Rick Simon wrote:memory usage (via Task Manager) would increase to over 780MB and stay there.

Wow! I've been using Pocomail since 2002, and never ran into that issue. What OS are you using? (I've always used W2K Pro. Never bothered with XP, and have no use for Vista)

Dave
DaveP
Poco Tourist

Re: Found a fix for a memory leak problem....

Postby Rick Simon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:00 am

DaveP wrote:Wow! I've been using Pocomail since 2002, and never ran into that issue. What OS are you using? (I've always used W2K Pro. Never bothered with XP, and have no use for Vista)

Windows XP. I'm not the only one who has seen this kind of behavior. Here's another posting from a while back with others who have seen this behavior:

http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5664
Rick Simon
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Thank you for posting what helped.

You say you already tried the system.pocosys files - did you try to delete the NewMail.pocosys files, or whole system.pocosys folders?
If just the first, I'd dare to guess that deleting whole System.pocosys folder (good idea for others who might be trying it in the future, is to better move it to some safe place instead of deleting immediately, just in case) could help, as it's possible there might have been some data corruption there.

If ever needed by anyone in the future, I'd suggest an alternative to your procedure, which I can't guarantee would help or that it has exactly same effect as your procedure, but shall be pretty close and quicker:
- close Pocomail
- delete (move to safe place) whole System.pocosys folder
- start Pocomail. If that would not help, just to be safe do a backup through menu File > Restore and Backup > Backup, close Pocomail, and try to delete (move to safe place) files with .idb extension from the Mail directory and it's subdirectories in Pocomail data path.

Again, thank you for your helpful report!
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To