[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Reading Yahoo group posts

Reading Yahoo group posts

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Reading Yahoo group posts

Postby AlStreit » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi. I've been using Pocomail for years. Suddenly, it became impossible to read posts in Yahoo groups. For me, that's important.

Ads overlay the post text. I asked how to fix it. The answer would help view only future posts, so it's useless.

I thought of going back to Poco 3, but i'd rather not. It might become unworkable.

Can anything be done besides going back to Eudora?

Al
AlStreit
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Reading Yahoo group posts

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Hi Al & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
AlStreit wrote:Hi. I've been using Pocomail for years. Suddenly, it became impossible to read posts in Yahoo groups. For me, that's important.
Apart from html display problems, I don't have any other suggestion. Sorry.
Currently there's a beta in progress, so maybe it can be fixed.
Can anything be done besides going back to Eudora?
Eudora isn't supported anymore. Mozilla has taken over Quallcom. :?
Eric

Postby AlStreit » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks for the news, Eric. I hope it's fixed.
AlStreit
Drop-in Visitor

Postby AlStreit » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:38 am

But what do you mean by 'apart from html display problems'? It's not happening in other apps on my computer - only Pocomail.
AlStreit
Drop-in Visitor

Postby blakelyg » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:01 am

AlStreit wrote:But what do you mean by 'apart from html display problems'? It's not happening in other apps on my computer - only Pocomail.

I should say that I receive many emails from Yahoo Groups (do u receive the individual messages or by grouped method) both Text and HTML and have no problems reading the emails. Maybe it is specific to the group subscriptions. Also have u changed the display option (strip HTML or disable pictures etc)? Did that make any difference?
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:56 am

AlStreit wrote:But what do you mean by 'apart from html display problems'? It's not happening in other apps on my computer - only Pocomail.
By that I mean that there's no other topic which I could find on the subject.

As posted by blakelyg it could be specific to a certain setting. :wink:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:38 am

As above, with old messages, you can try the Strip HTML functionality. Or you can right-click and choose "view in browser".

You could setup an OnDisplay event that will strip html from all messages coming from that yahoogroup, when you display the message.

I don't have at the moment any html message from Yahoo groups available to test whether this works or not. But if you can, save one message to .eml file from menu File > Save Message, and submit it through support form http://www.pocosystems.com/support/, and I will test it for you and send the steps/screenshots to create that event/filter.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby chrisretusn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:08 am

blakelyg wrote:I should say that I receive many emails from Yahoo Groups (do u receive the individual messages or by grouped method) both Text and HTML and have no problems reading the emails. Maybe it is specific to the group subscriptions. Also have u changed the display option (strip HTML or disable pictures etc)? Did that make any difference?

I believe what AlStreit is referring to is the Fully Featured New & Improved!, Message Preference on the groups Edit Membership page. This places a menu and also ads to the right, in PocoMail they overlap the text of the message making it impossible to read.

The fix is to set Message Preference to Traditional; however, as AlStreit mentioned in the first post, that solution only works for new messages and not the ones already downloaded.

I just switched over one of my less important Yahoo! Groups to the Fully Featured Message Preference to play around with it and see if I can figure out a possible solution.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Still no fix

Postby AlStreit » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 am

That's right. It would help from here forward. But it's not the real fix - why get rid of HTML in e-mail messages?

The fix has to come from Poco Systems. Poco's good. Rather than switching, i hope this will be fixed.
AlStreit
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:11 am

....why get rid of HTML in e-mail messages?

For the very sort of problems you are seeing.

I hate HTML in email. I refuse to use it (I'm a plain text guy all the way). HTML has incompatibility problems all over the internet. All email clients have one sort of incompatibility problem or the other.

One way I deal with it is whenever I get some sort of HTML mess (sometimes an entirely blank msg), I hit "reply" in Poco, and since I have plain text selected, the quoted text in the reply is plain text and readable (it is the text after all that is important), then I just delete the reply.
Sandy

Postby AlStreit » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:08 pm

[quote="Tomas"]As above, with old messages, you can try the Strip HTML functionality. Or you can right-click and choose "view in browser".

You could setup an OnDisplay event that will strip html from all messages coming from that yahoogroup, when you display the message.

I don't have at the moment any html message from Yahoo groups available to test whether this works or not. But if you can, save one message to .eml file from menu File > Save Message, and submit it through support form http://www.pocosystems.com/support/, and I will test it for you and send the steps/screenshots to create that event/filter.[/quote]

Tomas and everyone

Has anyone come up with an answer that allows html in messages? My installation of Pocomail works with html. It doesn't work with Yahoo group posts.

I suppose none of you uses any of those groups?

I tried your new version. It's the same. You're not trying to fix it.

If i've misread the replies, let me know. Or please come up with something that works.

Al
AlStreit
Drop-in Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 pm

AlStreit wrote:Tomas and everyone

Has anyone come up with an answer that allows html in messages? My installation of Pocomail works with html. It doesn't work with Yahoo group posts.

I suppose none of you uses any of those groups?

I use Yahoo! Groups. I receive 100's of Yahoo! Group messages every day. The "Fully Featured New & Improved!" messages don't display well in PocoMail, my solution is to use "Traditional" for Step 3. Message Preference.

Traditional messages are still HTML messages they just leave out the extra stuff (and useless in my opinion) placed in "Fully Featured New & Improved!" messages.

There is two ways to set this up.

1) From the My Groups page go in to each group and Edit Membership, under Step 3. Message Preference select "Traditional" and Save Changes.

2) From the My Groups page select My Email Preferences you will see a list of your email addresses. Using select Edit. On the edit page there is an option to select for Message Preference, Traditional for that address.
Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby chrisretusn » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:20 am

AlStreit,

I just switched a couple of my Yahoo! Groups over to "Fully Featured New & Improved!". Yahoo! has made some changes since the last time I tried the new format. Before that "Recent Activity" column section to the right over lapped the text to the left and they were not readable. Now messages are readable. I still prefer the Traditional format as the Recent Activity is geared more toward on line reads I think. I have no use for that column while reading Yahoo! Group messages.

Chris

chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby AlStreit » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:10 am

Thanks for this post. Now, i see i'll still get html if i make the display 'traditional.'

I appreciate the details.

Sounds like the solution. There's years of mail to download.

I'll tell you how it goes.
AlStreit
Drop-in Visitor

Postby AlStreit » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:13 am

For old posts, i'll still have to archive them, and there's no way to export. For one thing, Aid4Mail does an inaccurate job.

I'll have to install Pocomail 3. I hope it works in the new OS.
AlStreit
Drop-in Visitor

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To