[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Line length error kills email download in version 4.5.0.3910

Line length error kills email download in version 4.5.0.3910

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Line length error kills email download in version 4.5.0.3910

Postby HippoMan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:04 pm

I've been a satisfied PocoMail user under Windows XP for a number of years. Occasionally, I have gotten hit with an error that causes email downloading to get aborted. Once this happens, every time I check for mail, the folder gets re-downloaded up to the point where the error occurs, and then dies again. Hence, the download keeps repeating and the latest messages never get downloaded.

As I mentioned in this message subject, I'm running PocoMail version 4.5.0.3910. This error has just now occurred again. Every time I try to check for messages, it recurs. Here is the error message with personal information elided:

Code: Select all
Checking mail for xxx@xxxxxx.com (11/20/2008 7:39:21 PM)...
    Logging into xxx.xxxxxx.com POP server as user xxx@xxxxxx.com...
    8746 messages waiting on server;
    Encountered error while fetching message 8148:
    Max Line Length Exceeded.
    No messages deleted, 8746 messages left on server;
    Logging off...

I'm not sure how to get a hold of the exact message that failed in order to show it to you.

Ideally, if such an error occurs, it would be nice if PocoMail would just ignore or trash the email message in question and then continue with the download.

In any case, is there any kind of workaround or fix for this?

Thanks again for any help you might be able to offer.
HippoMan
New Arrival

Re: Line length error kills email download in version 4.5.0.

Postby Tomas » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:16 pm

HippoMan wrote:Ideally, if such an error occurs, it would be nice if PocoMail would just ignore or trash the email message in question and then continue with the download.

That would be ideal, not sure if technically possible to implement, but I asked about it.

I can only offer some pointers for locating such message:
- very probably over 12kB of size

- might be a spam message, or bulk mailing (newsletter) or similar computer-generated (not email client generated) message

- it could as well be a message with an (non-standardly encoded) attachment

Depending on which part of the message exactly is the source of the problem, it's possible the messages might still be accessible using VMOS (view mail on server, from menu File > View Mail on Server) interface, or using Online Folders, even when email check is aborting.
If even VMOS is aborting, you can click on the Settings tab in VMOS interface, and enable Fetch headers in reverse order option, and try to proceed with VMOS check again.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby HippoMan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:08 am

Tomas wrote:
HippoMan wrote:Ideally, if such an error occurs, it would be nice if PocoMail would just ignore or trash the email message in question and then continue with the download.

That would be ideal, not sure if technically possible to implement, but I asked about it.

Thanks for your reply. I manage the email server and have found the offending message there, and I have manually fixed the situation. That message contained a huge (> 100 Kb) blob of HTML without newlines.

Of course this new way of handling download errors is technically possible to implement. The question is whether this is technically possible to easily implement. There are other email clients that don't completely abort the message download for all subsequent messages just because a single message download fails, so we know that at least some people have been able to implement this kind of logic.

The fact that PocoMail's message download aborts in this way means that once such a message appears in the input stream, the user will be completely unable to download any newer messages until someone manually intervenes on the server like I did. Most email users do not have the luxury of being able to do so.

Also, I've been a software developer since 1969 (yes, this is not a typo), and I know how this code can be written. If the developers would like me to help them to rewrite their error-handling code, I will be happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement and give my assistance for free.
HippoMan
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:17 am

Thank you, Slaven the lead developer for Pocomail and Barca also reads the forum, so he will read you messages as well.
HippoMan wrote:Of course this new way of handling download errors is technically possible to implement. The question is whether this is technically possible to easily implement.

Yes, that's the thing - it's more about how easily it can be implemented given existing code base, or whether it will take longer or even have to wait on some upcoming "architectural changes".

Ideally, if certain components are used, it can be as easy as changing one component settings, in more complicated cases there could be other functionalities influenced by that change and necessary to be rewritten.... (I know nothing about the technical aspects of Pocomail implementation of this functionality.)

I'm not a developer to express it well, moreover when talking with a professional developer here, but hope you understand what I wanted to say (I guess it's along your lines quoted above) :)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby HippoMan » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 pm

Well, I give my thanks to you, to Slavin, and to all of the other PocoMail staff for your attention to this issue.

I'm sure that it will be fixed, whether it be sooner or slightly later.

I appreciate PocoMail and your company's attention to us customers. It is a great piece of software.

Keep up the good work.
HippoMan
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To