[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Getting Vista to recognise Pocomail as my mailto default.

Getting Vista to recognise Pocomail as my mailto default.

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Getting Vista to recognise Pocomail as my mailto default.

Postby luxor » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:48 am

I'm having problems getting Vista to recognise Pocomail as my mailto default.

This used to work fine and somehow it has changed. When and why I know not as I don't click on mailto links on websites very often, but I do know that in the past it did work. I have no trouble setting Pocomail as my default email program, right click run as admin which I had to do when I first got this computer with Vista installed.

But as you can see from the screen shots when I go to Default Programs, Associate a file type or protocol with a program and go to the Mailto option, Opera is set as the default.

By luxor at 2008-12-27

No problem you would think, just change the program. But Pocomail does not show as an option in the Open With screen. :(

By luxor at 2008-12-27

I have been trying to fix this for days now and I am getting nowhere and it is abject frustration that has me coming here and requesting help.

I did a search and found these:
http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewto ... sta+mailto

Have been going through what I did find but I am making no progress at all. Any ideas ?

Luxor
luxor
Resident Poster

Re: Getting Vista to recognise Pocomail as my mailto default

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:32 am

luxor wrote:I'm having problems getting Vista to recognise Pocomail as my mailto default.
Have been going through what I did find but I am making no progress at all. Any ideas ?
Unfortunately you won't succeed to get Vista to recognize Poco as your default. :?
Something to be adressed during the beta, so we can select it from the list. :)
Eric

Postby luxor » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:06 pm

Really Eric I could have sworn that this worked previously.
Maybe I had too much Xmas wine and imagined it. :lol:

Oh well I hope that this is rectified in the beta and thus the next update.

Seasons greetings to you Eric.
luxor
Resident Poster

Postby tonnelier » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:38 pm

luxor wrote:Really Eric I could have sworn that this worked previously.

Hello Luxor, Hello Eric

Keep on drinking the wine - you didn't imagine it! I have Vista Home Premium on a PC bought in July this year. I installed Poco (installed before on a PC with XP) and it's my default mail programme. However, here's the hiccup - I don't recollect doing anything to make it the default - it just seems to have happened automatically. I don't use Windows Mail and don't have any other mail programme on the PC, which may explain why Vista immediately recognised Poco.

Schéin Féierdég as we say here - and orra best, orra time...
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Re: Getting Vista to recognise Pocomail as my mailto default

Postby Larry » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:27 am

luxor wrote:

Luxor

I was able to get PM to be the default when clicking on a mailto: by direct editing the registry. My Default Programs still does not list PM though.

However, when PM opens it doesn't open with a Compose New window, just opens. Better than Windows Mail. It may be able to be tweaked to work properly but I haven't had time lately to play with it.

Larry
Larry
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:01 am

luxor wrote:Really Eric I could have sworn that this worked previously.
Don't recall it ever working here. Too much wine too :lol:
I'll certainly address it during the beta. Seems pretty calm now.
Maybe it's a problem with Microsoft to be recognized or something has to be done so it will be listed. It certainly must be rectified, since it's not advised to change something in the registry or some other hack/tweak to make it work.
Besides not everyone will look further to make it work, so it should be simplified. :?
Same to you luxor, tonnelier & Larry. ;)
Eric

Postby luxor » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:35 am

I'll certainly address it during the beta.

Great.
It certainly must be rectified

I agree with that.
Besides not everyone will look further to make it work, so it should be simplified

Yes most people would try it, see it doesn't work, uninstall Pocomail and install something that does. Bad news all round. :(
luxor
Resident Poster

Postby tonnelier » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:05 am

Eric wrote:Besides not everyone will look further to make it work
I'll never learn :oops: Instead of leaving well alone, I decided to look further, opened Windows Mail and made it my default mail programme to test. Mistake. Poco was immediately deleted in Mailto in "Associate File Type or Protocol" and replaced by Mail. Reinstating Poco as my default mail programme has not restored it to Mailto and all my efforts have been useless.

I have been able to get Firefox 3.0.05 to accept Poco as mailto. Tools>Applications.

Eric is always right - he's doing the necessary :lol:

Happy 2009 to all
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:27 am

tonnelier wrote:Eric is always right - he's doing the necessary :lol:
Not always. :roll: :lol:
I've added it to the beta section with reference to this thread.
Pity you lost it by trying it out. :?
Happy 2009 to all
Happy feasting & till next year. Image
Eric

Postby luxor » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Hi Eric

Just a heads up.

I have just done a complete format and reinstallation of Vista.
Guess what, Pocomail is now registered as the default program for MAILTO.

Maybe I didn't imagine it as I originally thought. :wink:

Wonder if it will remain that way or disappear as it did (I imagine) in the past.

Luxor
luxor
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks Luxor. :P

I hope it will stay this way, since performing a format
to make it work is not the way other users would do it. :roll: :lol:

Keep an eye on it closely and report back if it changes. ;)
Eric

Postby ianw » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:55 pm

Vista has recognised Poicomail with no problem.

Also, I have had to re-install Vista a few times but each time Poco is set as default.
ianw

Postby drjamie03 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:23 am

I know this is an old thread but I thought it better to jump on this one rather than start a new one. Just got a new computer with Vista 64 on it and can't get it to see Barca as the default (and don't want to reinstall Vista). Has anything changed in getting Barca and Vista to play nicely together?
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Bruce » Fri May 01, 2009 8:10 pm

During the Beta on March 21st, Bruce wrote:I believe it is because the Registry entries are done incorrectly.

What they are:
Code: Select all
DefaultIcon
 |-shell
    |-open
       |-command

What they should be:
Code: Select all
DefaultIcon
shell
 |-open
    |-command