[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - 5.7.1 Missing or literal domains not allowed error

5.7.1 Missing or literal domains not allowed error

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

5.7.1 Missing or literal domains not allowed error

Postby speedbmp » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:45 am

Hello, I am new to PocoMail and I set it up on my computer and my father's computer several days ago. It works great on my machine, no problems, but on Dad's machine it won't send out a thing. Receives fine, just won't send.

"5.7.1 Missing or literal domains not allowed" is the persistent error. Here is the info on what dad's settings are and what I have done to figure out/correct the problem:

Settings/program info:
OS is Windows XP Home SP3
PocoMail is 4.5.0.3910 Trial version
ISP is verizon
incoming server: incoming.verizon.net
outgoing server: outgoing.verizon.net
port is 25 (the default)
username and password, both correct, are in place in the incoming and outgoing settings areas
outgoing server authentication area is checked, with correct username and password, and type is set to LOGIN

What I have done:
1) Researched the error message with Google and found out there were a lot of people with this problem and few answers, or there were answers but they were always very OS specific/incredibly technical and not helpful to me in this situation
2) Tried taking the separate username/password settings off to see what would happen. Server requires separate authentication, so no joy
2) Tried using mail.verizon.net for SMTP side only. No joy
3) Decided to fire up Outlook Express with same settings to make sure it wasn't Verizon screwing up. The mail went through just fine.
4) Tried making a new account in PocoMail. No joy; had the same problem
5) Looked in the PocoMail help docs. No joy
6) Searched this forum and found stuff close, but no cigar

What I have not done:
1) Uninstalled and reinstalled PocoMail, because I don't know how to save Dad's e-mail from being killed out when I do that yet

NOTE: I have noticed the box that says "use the same username and password for Outgoing server" will not remain checked, no matter how many times I've checked it. I don't know if that is important so I thought I would note it in case it is.

Anyone have any ideas? Anything would be appreciated. I love PocoMail on my machine at home and intend to buy it for permanent use. I just wish I could get it to work on Dad's machine, too.

Thanks!

Rachel
speedbmp
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:43 am

Hi Rachel,

wow, that's very thorough and helpful description! Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry I have no definite solution, but few things to try (not necessarily in this order):

- that Pocomail is not blocked in the firewall for outgoing messages. Also, if security situation allows, try to shutdown both firewall and antivirus for one minute and try to send an email while they are not running, just to check if it will change anything

- untick the port 25, so that no port number is forced

- check that the username is in short format, ie. username and not username@verizon.net

- try to change the authentication type from LOGIN to PLAIN

- in the outgoing server field, instead of outgoing.verizon.net, try following IP address:

When sending the message, are you connected to the internet through Verizon or do you have some other ISP?

Other notes:
on uninstallation, existing data will not be deleted. But it's rather unlikely that uninstallation and new installation would help.

The "use the same username and password for Outgoing server" checkbox is just for a one-time use while setting up account - the setting is not remembered.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby speedbmp » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Tomas,

Thank you very much for your reply! I will definitely try the things you mentioned next time I go to my dad's house. And to answer your question: Yes, we are connecting to Verizon through Verizon. :)

Thanks!

Rachel
speedbmp
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To