[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - IMAPS downloading troubles

IMAPS downloading troubles

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

IMAPS downloading troubles

Postby nonBeing » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:38 pm

Hello everybody - I have been working with pocomail for years. I use its scripting language extensively and have grown rather fond of poco.

The problem I cannot solve/work-around: Poco hangs on downloading messages from an IMAP server. To be precise it's an Microsoft Exchange Access server, version 8.1.240.0, you can find it at kclimap.kcl.ac.uk. It's IMAP via SSL on 993 with LOGIN. works fine with thunderbird and every other client I tried.

I can get poco to login and it starts downloading messages and attachments. After a number of messages (anywhere between 0 and 14), or at the first big attachment the download stalls and long time later eventually times out. It seems the longer the index of the start folder the more likely poco is to not download anything at all, hang at the 0th message, so to speak.

I used wireshark to have a look at the packets, the server and poco exchange hellos, exchange keys and then switch to SSL, which I cannot see in cleartext (I am not a pro in packet sniffing - any hints?).

I spend hours and hours trying all sorts of work arounds - different base folders with only a few messages in them can sometimes get it to download 1.5 messages rather than 0.

I would be immensely greatful for any advice or hints how to go about this problem. I invested a lot of time (nights) into poco, but if I can't access this critical IMAP only mail folder....

Again, i would be eternally greatful.

-johannes
nonBeing
New Arrival

Postby aderoy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 am

Change the timeout on receive, set for 90 seconds -- think the default is 30?

Should helpout. Sorry at work and do not have Poco with me.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Postby nonBeing » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:36 am

aderoy wrote:Change the timeout on receive, set for 90 seconds -- think the default is 30?

Should helpout. Sorry at work and do not have Poco with me.

thank you for the suggestion. It was set to 66 seconds (in the advanced settings under options) I have tried setting it to 150, the same happens - after a few seconds wireshark tells me there are no more packets being exchanged (the connection of course being still open) and eventually it goes from "Logged in." to nothing... I have measured the time at which this happens - it is above 25 minutes and well beyond any reasonable time-out point. I don't think the time out setting (in adv. options) has any effect on it. I assume poco gets really confused somehow.

***as an aside:
just to make sure that nothing causes it that is installation or machine specific (vista sp1) I have installed (the freshest non-beta) poco on a different xp sp2 system, set up the IMAP account, and ran into exactly the same symptoms (downloaded 6 messages, got hung up on the first minor attachment. No more downloads of mails after that, it stalls and eventually times out at "Logged in." as on the original system.)

@aderoy - thank you for the idea though, as I said any help is greatly appreciated.
nonBeing
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:08 pm

As for the timeout, in some cases (not similar to this) it helped to set the value as high as 300.

I have an account on Exchange powered IMAP not sure which Exchange version but with pretty similar settings to yours, and it seems to work fine.
Where the instructions say to use username in format
kclad\rsvp1234
I use
kclad/rsvp1234
for username format in my Pocomail settings instead.

I don't have much time now to thoroughly check, but it seems my provider also requests kclad\rsvp1234 but it doesn't seem to work (on a very quick check) and only kclad/rsvp1234 works.

Another important setting, is the IMAP tab in settings. Try to set the root folder value to
INBOX.
(in capitals, terminated by a full stop ! )
Other alternatives are just Inbox or INBOX or . (standalone dot sign).

I'm not quite sure that these could help (given that you already get some kind of connection and some download activity) but it's easy and worth to check whether those changes could have any effect.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby nonBeing » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:48 am

As for the timeout, in some cases (not similar to this) it helped to set the value as high as 300.

thank you for the suggestion...I tried...it doesn't make a difference. It still will time out after 30 minutes or so having stalled at "Logged in." for that time.
I have an account on Exchange powered IMAP not sure which Exchange version but with pretty similar settings to yours, and it seems to work fine.

This is great to know... so the possibility does exist that it works with the exchange server.
Where the instructions say to use username in format
kclad\rsvp1234
I use
kclad/rsvp1234
for username format in my Pocomail settings instead.

These are the exact instructions, you are right. I tried them both ways, it makes no difference. In both cases the problem persists (poco stalls at "Logged in.").
Another important setting, is the IMAP tab in settings. Try to set the root folder value to
INBOX.
(in capitals, terminated by a full stop ! )
Other alternatives are just Inbox or INBOX or . (standalone dot sign).

I tried...poco stalls again at logged in with "INBOX." as the root folder... However, if I change the IMAP folder to sth else and then back to the index folder it will start downloading a few messages again, then stall at the first attachment/the 6th or so message the first time one uses it with the good settings. On the next mailcheck it will just freeze at the "Logged In." again without any further download activity.
I'm not quite sure that these could help (given that you already get some kind of connection and some download activity) but it's easy and worth to check whether those changes could have any effect.

Yes, thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. Somehow I feel it might be something that has to do with the way poco interprets the incoming IMAP traffic or what it tells the exchange server... let me know if you have any more ideas on how to shed light on this matter.
nonBeing
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To