[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Extension of attached file shows TXT instead of PDF

Extension of attached file shows TXT instead of PDF

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Extension of attached file shows TXT instead of PDF

Postby Georges » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:08 am

Some files I received as attachments show as filename.txt when in fact they are filename.pdf files.
They can be opened with Adobe reader but not at all with a text editor.

Same behaviour with Poco latest official release and beta 4370.

Is somebody able to confirm or explain the incorrect extension?
Georges

Re: Extension of attached file shows TXT instead of PDF

Postby Tomas » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:58 am

I have seen such cases fairly rarely reported (2-3x?), but don't remember the causes anymore. Three possibilities come to mind:

- incorrectly encoded attachment by sender's email software. Particularly if it was not a regular email client but some bulk email sending solution.

- server side antivirus (was found to be cause in one case, it was incorrectly configured)

- bug in Pocomail can't be excluded, maybe it can't handle some very specificaly encoded attachments.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Sandy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:31 pm

This has come up before. A search of the forum might turn it up.

If I remember right, Pocomail appends TXT as a default when the incoming email has no extension as part of the attached file's name. (MACs don't use extensions).
Sandy

Postby Georges » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Thank you for your answers, I just found these threads:
http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewto ... +extension
http://www.pocosystems.com/forum/viewto ... +extension

I confirm that the same message read from the server with Outlook Express comes with the right PDF extension.

Attached file indicated by Poco:
Conseil .txt

Attached file indicated by O.E.:
Conseil pour la gestion des mails.pdf

As you can see the name of the attached file has been truncated in Poco.

Downloading the message from the View on Server window gives the same result (AVG anti virus was disabled).
Georges

Postby DaveP » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:41 am

I run into this with one particular customer of mine.

He is not computer savvy, and purchased a new HP Vista equipped desktop. He uses Outlook Express, with default settings. Whenever he "forwards" an attachment to me, it is received with a .txt extension, regardless of what type of file it is. If I get him to create a new message, and attach the file, it comes to me with the correct extension.

His previous computer was XP equipped, and I had no problems with attachments received from that machine.

I had chalked it up to a Vista related Outlook Express problem.

Dave P
DaveP
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:27 pm

As you can see the name of the attached file has been truncated in Poco.

Probably.

There has been a bug in Poco for years that truncates an attached filename if it has an ampersand in it. The & and everything after it is truncated.

My guess is that this file was sent to you without an extension (pdf). Poco probably looks for the extension and when it doesn't find it, it truncates everything but the first word.
Sandy

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To