[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Message text missing after migrating to XP

Message text missing after migrating to XP

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Message text missing after migrating to XP

Postby art » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:05 am

I have two systems with Pocomail installed - one is Win2k Pro and the other is XP Home. I am in the process of migrating everything from the 2k system to XP. Some of my messages on the XP system only show the AVG scan summary on incoming emails, while they appear okay on the 2k system. I have disabled AVG with no help. If I print the email with the missing text, all of the text appears in the print preview window. Also if I view the email in my browser all of the text appears. I do not yet know if those in non-html are effected, but it appears those received in html format are. Forwarding the email does not help.

Is this a known problem when running on XP or have I missed a setting somewhere?
art
Poco Tourist

Re: Message text missing after migrating to XP

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:40 am

art wrote:Is this a known problem when running on XP or have I missed a setting somewhere?
Not a known problem :?
Have you tried to compress your mailboxes?
Else exit Poco and delete the index files (*.idb).
Restart and verify if it's still the same.

However curious to know how you migrated your data.
Be careful your migrated data isn't marked 'Read Only', if you burned it to a CD.

Hope that helps. ;)
Eric

Postby art » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:24 am

Have you tried to compress your mailboxes?
Else exit Poco and delete the index files (*.idb).
Restart and verify if it's still the same.

Did this, but there are some emails that still do not display. Will wait till I receive more to see if the problem still exists.
However curious to know how you migrated your data

I used a program called "Move Me" from spearit.com that did pretty good. So far there have been only a couple of problems with probably > 100 programs and > 16 GB of files across 2 drives.
art
Poco Tourist

Postby art » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:35 am

So far this morning there have been no emails that I cannot read correctly. It appears that the erasing of the .idb files and then compressing all folders fixed the problem. This procedure also picked up several emails that had not been read in several of the folders. From this, I suspect cleaning out the idb files and compressing the folders is something that should be done periodically.
art
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:00 am

I suspect cleaning out the idb files and compressing the folders is something that should be done periodically.

All email programs that I am aware of expect to have their message folders compressed periodically.
Sandy

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:58 pm

art wrote:I used a program called "Move Me" from spearit.com that did pretty good. So far there have been only a couple of problems with probably > 100 programs and > 16 GB of files across 2 drives.
No need to use a third party program.
Just copy to USB or make a direct link between two computers over your network.
Just copy it over and you're done. :)

Of course if Move Me works for you, all the better.
I agree with Sandy that folders should be compressed regularly to avoid corruption. Also don't keep everything. What you don't need, trash it. :P
Eric

Postby art » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:00 am

Eric wrote:No need to use a third party program.
Just copy to USB or make a direct link between two computers over your network.
Just copy it over and you're done. :)

I understand that works fine for PocoMail - have done that many times to keep mail sync'ed with my notebook for when I travel, but Move Me was used to migrate > 100 applications from a desktop that I am replacing with a different system - from Win 2K to Win XP - and a simple copy across the network or USB would not do that job as registry entries, and dll modules were also required to be copied.

Eric wrote:I agree with Sandy that folders should be compressed regularly to avoid corruption. Also don't keep everything. What you don't need, trash it. :P

I had incorrectly assumed that Pocomail did the compression when needed, as I frequently see "Compressing xxxx" in the status bar. I have since found out that the compressing of the folders was not the solution to my problem. It is the later level of AVG Free when it re-writes the incoming email to add it's "Certification" signature. This causes the email to get changed such that Pocomail can no longer display the main body of the email. It is a known problem with the solution being to turn off the Certification option in AVG.

I do appreciate all the help and suggestions. Thank you.
art
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:55 am

I had incorrectly assumed that Pocomail did the compression when needed, as I frequently see "Compressing xxxx" in the status bar.

Yes and no.

You were not incorrect about Poco doing automatic compression of mail folders. It does do that (which is what you are seeing). However, as I understand it, Poco compresses a folder automatically only if the percentage of deleted msgs in that folder reaches some threadhold (30% or some such number). Poco does this on a folder by folder basis. So one can have a folder that has a problem (for whatever reason) and "ought" to be compressed, but the automatic facility will never compress it if that folder rarely has a msg deleted in it.

In any case, all I know is I have always manually compressed all folders from time to time with any email client I have ever used. It's just prudent.
Sandy

Postby Eric » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:03 am

art wrote:I understand that works fine for PocoMail - have done that many times to keep mail sync'ed with my notebook for when I travel, but Move Me was used to migrate > 100 applications from a desktop that I am replacing with a different system - from Win 2K to Win XP - and a simple copy across the network or USB would not do that job as registry entries, and dll modules were also required to be copied.
Ah, that explains it, since I only thought about the migration from Poco.
Hope it doesn't give problems to your XP when migrating those applications with their registry entries, dll modules and so on.
It's after all new hardware, although I don't know Move Me and how it works.
I always use ShadowProtect which has a HIR function (Hardware Independent Restore), so I can migrate an image to a different system. 8)
It is a known problem with the solution being to turn off the Certification option in AVG.
Indeed, that's a known problem, as it is/was with Avast too.
Inserting the certification modifies the message, so it only displays blank messages.
I've seen it happen before with spam filters, antivirus, local and not local (= ISP). :?
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To