[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Archiving emails

Archiving emails

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Archiving emails

Postby jbuk » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:02 pm

I keep a separate instance of Pocomail in which I keep all emails from selected previous years.
I have just moved all emails from 2004 from PM to the archive PM.

I do not archive all of the folders and am wondering if there is an easier or quicker method than the one I use.............

In PM and the Archive PM I setup a new folder Archive 2004.
I create a filter to search for Date and 2004 and then move the emails found to Archive 2004 within PM.

As I want to retain my folder structure in the Archive PM I have to do this one folder at a time by copy and pasting the archive 2004 dat idb and mbx files from PM to Archive PM. After verifying success in the archive I move the pasted emails into the desired folder to join the previous years emails.

I then delete the emails in Archive 2004 in PM and continue with the next folder until all is complete. Then I move across all the attachments from 2004.

Now all this is not automated and is quite time consuming but I am left with a smaller lighter quicker Pocomail as a result.

I am wondering though is there an easier way.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:14 am

Fastest way would be to copy over the whole Mail folder. That will backup everything (and you could delete later on what you don't want to keep). You'd create a folder 2004 under Mail folder in the separate instance of Pocomail, and copy there everything from Mail folder of your main Pocomail instance.

But that's really for different backup needs than you have I guess, it wouldn't work well for backing up 2004 while in 2009.

Can't vouch for it to work but I'd try to set system date to any date in year 2005, and use Quick Focus Box in Pocomail to only show emails from previous year (=2004).
I'd create a 2004 top folder in PM, and recreate folder structure, and filtering one folder by another using the quick focus box rule I'd move the messages filtered to the new folder structure. Last step is to close Pocomail and move 2004 folder to the separate Pocomail instance.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby jbuk » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:55 am

I knew someone would come up with alternatives.

Changing the system date certainly works.
This now gives rise to a feature request in Quick Focus - For Period... as well as for previous year and all the other options, alternatively and additionally enter the year or period required.

Thanks for your input Tomas.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:50 am

Added to the wishlist, thanks! (I guess best would be something as flexible as possible = to allow to enter any period.)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby bareges » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:48 am

Hi Jbuk,
I have a folder entitled Archive (within my existing tree structure) that has all the subfolders I require. I have downloaded and installed the Pocoscript that "archives old messages" Once setup all you do is indicate within the script the chosen Folder and time
period (older than)......very straighforward Is working with latest version of Poc
Kind Regards
Charles
bareges
Frequent Visitor

Postby MonBidoux » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:50 am

Hey!

I was just thinking about archiving with Barca.
Was looking for the "archives" script but can't find it (should work with Barca right?).

Also, while we're on the subject matter, can you tell me what are the benefits to archiving?
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:40 pm

MonBidoux wrote:Was looking for the "archives" script but can't find it (should work with Barca right?).

Create a new file with .poc extension in the Scripts directory of your Barca installation with following content, or through menu Tools > Scripts, Edit script, paste into the editor and Save.

Code: Select all
{### Archive Old Mail
{ Script will archive any selected messages older
{ than a specified number of days to a specified folder

{ Usage: best used on Selected messages
{ To try it out, select some messages, setup this script
{ in Scripts/Setup, then run it in Scripts/Settings by
{ selecting it along the bottom and clicking on Now button

{ Initialize user settings: }
External $userdata1 "Archive messages older than: (days)" "30"
External $userdata2 "Which mailbox should I archive them to:%mailboxes%" "Archives"

{ Make sure message is appended to mailbox }
AppendToFile True
    { Get today's date }
GetDate $todaydate
    { Get message's date }
ReadHeader $messagedate "Date:" %message
    { Calculate the message age }
SubDays #diff $todaydate $messagedate

{ Compare the age to user setting }
if #diff > $userdata1 then PerformCopy
    { Exit if the difference is not greater }
Exit

{ If true, jump here and archive the message }
:PerformCopy
    { Load the mailbox filepath information }
AddStrings $UserData2 ".mbx"
SaveMessage %message $UserData2
    { Finally, deleting the original message }
DeleteMessage %message

Also, while we're on the subject matter, can you tell me what are the benefits to archiving?

Nowadays, when disk space is huge and most computers come with plenty of memory, the benefits are diminishing, thought disk space occupation and memory load might still be a good reason with older systems.

It might subjectively feel better to work with less populated folders.

That's all I could think of :)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby MonBidoux » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:34 pm

If it can make Barca a bit speedier (which it is already) then i'm willing to give it a go ahead.

Thanks for the script Tomas (i found out it was there by default i guess :roll: ) but, i'm giving it a spin. Have set a folder to read "2005-2007" but i'm most unfamiliar with the code to tell the script to send them all to that folder. :oops:
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:47 pm

MonBidoux wrote:Have set a folder to read "2005-2007" but i'm most unfamiliar with the code to tell the script to send them all to that folder. :oops:

Press F9, select the script from the list, and in Setup Script tab it's possible to set the folder to archive to.

Don't forget that scripts can only be run against selected messages, thus only on one folder at a time at most (go to a folder, press CTRL+A to select all messages in the folder, and run the script).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:18 am

Goccha!

It worked!
Took quite some time to archive 3,000 messages but it worked!

Thanks again!

8)
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby jbuk » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14 pm

The main reason I archive is not about saving disk space but to reduce the size of Pocomail for backups.
I run regular backups to a USB key and archiving once a year keeps them much smaller than having to save the totality of the messages going back 9 years.
And in any case why keep backing up all those messages from years gone by when they can be archived off into another instance of PM and just backed up once.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks Jbuk, that makes sense. :wink:
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To