[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Sending group emails

Sending group emails

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Sending group emails

Postby dpurser » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:42 am

I am finding that if I send about an email to a group of 40 , then there is almost always a few that are not sent and they are not the same ones each time. Why is that?
dpurser
New Arrival

Postby aderoy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:52 am

Depending on how you are are sending:

- your ISP may block if too many emails in 'x' amount of time
-- normally via mail merges

- the To: field is too long (max 1k characters for most servers)
-- placing all users in the To: as one long list

- RBL (email blacklists), could flag either the sending or receiving server as a SPAM.

Try adding the group to the BCC instead of To: (reason this gets stripped from some mail servers).

Do you get any returned e-mails stating there was a problem?
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Postby dpurser » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks for you suggestions which make sense.
I do send my mass emails by BCC. Poco just reports that it has been unable to send them and they are not returned. I am immediately able to send the failed ones individually. It is not a real problem but just annoying.
dpurser
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:33 am

Is there some more specific error message in the error log? (Press F12, click Log tab, after the problem happens).

Anyway, I'd recommend to try either sending to a smaller group, so if you have 40, try to make two emails to 20 people each, or use the split feature (in Options, Sending Mail page), so that Pocomail will automatically create 40 standalone emails out of the 1 message you write. (as aderoy noted above, it will also increase your the getting-through chances for email you send).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby dpurser » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:36 am

Many thanks for that suggestion. I will give it try next time.
dpurser
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To