[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail crashes when changing user

Pocomail crashes when changing user

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Pocomail crashes when changing user

Postby Raffael » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:49 am

Pocomail v3.4.0.2130 always crashes (forcing me to close the application) whenever I try to change user. OS is win xp pro sp1.

I already spent some hours trying to fix the problem somehow but I could only manage to access again the default user by setting the autologon=1 in poco.ini.

Also I tried to reinstall pocomail first in the same directory and after in another directory. In the same directory nothing was changing. In another directory it is starting properly but as soon as I try to create another user it crashes again. Same when I try to import a part or all by pointing on the old poco.ini. According to my test the mailboxes are not corrupt nor accounts.ini for instance.

Any (good) advise would be appreciated since I really don't understand where the problem suddenly came from and how to get rid of it again... :?

Thanks in advance!
Raffael
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:30 pm

That's how I would go about that:
- create a good backup of all Pocomail files
- close Pocomail, delete main poco.ini file, start Pocomail
- if that didn't help, close Pocomail, and delete poco.ini files for your user accounts. They can be found in Users directory.

(deleting poco.ini will cause customizations to be lost, that's why I suggested to make good backup first, so that if necessary you can revert back to old poco.ini files)

- if that will not help, I'd try to delete all .ini files in main Pocomail directory and all user directories (Users/MyUserName/). If that would help, I'd close Pocomail, and copy back the old accounts.ini for main directory and all user directories.

If you have more users, will Pocomail crash no matter to which user you will change, or is it only going on with just one of them?
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Raffael » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:20 am

Tomas wrote:That's how I would go about that:
- create a good backup of all Pocomail files

That's what I have done first. Then I tried many things but none was totally successful.

Tomas wrote:- close Pocomail, delete main poco.ini file, start Pocomail
- if that didn't help, close Pocomail, and delete poco.ini files for your user accounts. They can be found in Users directory.

I have been fidlling around for several hours. Amongst others I deleted the old (corrupt?) poco.ini file and having done this Pocomail was starting again but with all customizations lost. As I customized a lot I tried to find a better solution... So I had the idea to try to find out what maybe was corrupt (or at least causing the crash error while starting) in the old poco.ini file in order to keep all the other settings. By testing around I noticed a connection between the multiple user accounts and the crash. With the old poco.ini setting Pocomail was set to ask just after the start to select the user. I noticed that if I would change the autologin=0 to autologin=1 the crash did not occur anymore and everything was working as usual except if I would try to change to another user. Actually there are 2 other users setup (in addition to the default one) and I see no reason to believe that both the poco.ini files of these users would crash Pocomail since one of these users has not been altered in any way between the moment when everything was working fine and the moment Pocomail suddenly started to crash while starting.

But above all what is really puzzling me is the following experience: 1) After having installed a fresh Pocomail in another directory (even on another drive) it started fine. 2) I tried to create a new user and change to it --> crash again! Seeing this happen I thought that there must be some common (corrupt) settings between the old an new setups. I tried to search and observe the registry but except the license code nothing seems to be stored / read in / from the registry. I must be missing something somewhere...

Another experience is also "interesting" (well if you see what I mean... :? ) : If I use the old setup and directories and I delete the users (even manually by deleting the users directories) and try to create new ones --> crash again! Also be aware that when I create a new user in the first step the directory is created but after I try to login (for the first time for the test purpose) Pocomail crashes and no subdirectory structure is created nor the Pocomail Quick Start window is appearing as it should...

NB: Please be aware that I don't use the default directories! I changed all the directories under Tools-->Options-->General Options-->Directories to a separate drive and directory as root e.g. the last name remains as per default (/mail, /attach etc). This should not be a problem but it may play a part somehow in this crash occurence.

Tomas wrote:- if that will not help, I'd try to delete all .ini files in main Pocomail directory and all user directories (Users/MyUserName/). If that would help, I'd close Pocomail, and copy back the old accounts.ini for main directory and all user directories.

If I remember well I have also tried this except that I did not delete the users poco.ini files but anyway as stated above if I cannot recreate the link to the old users directories and their respective poco.ini files everything becomes pretty useless. Presently the main (default) account is working as long as I do autologin to it (also default setting)...

Tomas wrote:If you have more users, will Pocomail crash no matter to which user you will change, or is it only going on with just one of them?

As explained above it crashes no matter to which user I change! That is why logically I am almost sure that the problem is not linked with the (old) users but one step before in the creation / startup process.

As I don't have the Notebook which has this problem close to me now I cannot test further but I will try to pinpoint somewhat in the coming days and report. In the meantime I would of course welcome more suggestions / ideas especially about what I have stated above concerning the setup from scratch e.g. in another directory.

Thanks a lot!
Raffael
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:22 am

If you suspect poco.ini, try to submit it to helpdesk (www.pocosystems.com/support/) for investigation.

Maybe some of these command line parametres could work as a workaround:

Poco.exe /user "Tom"
Use to launch PocoMail for a specific user.

Poco.exe /startin "c:/directory"
Poco.exe /startin "//server/shared/data"
Launch PocoMail on any specific directory, local or network.

Not sure how applicable to your case, but check Options, Directories, and if Users directory is not full path, change it to a full path.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Raffael » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:54 am

I have been investigating and testing further and here are some results:

a) If the poco.ini in the (<default user>) pocomail installation directory contains autologin=1 the default user starts normally. All the other users which may be accessed by File-->Change User are crashing pocomail.

a1) If I try to add a new user, an empty <new user> directory is created but a login to this <new user> crashes pocomail too.

a2) Removing the <new user> works e.g. pocomail deletes the <new user> directory

b) If the poco.ini in the pocomail installation directory contains autologin=0 ALL users cannot be started without crashing pocomail! Even the <default user> cannot be started anymore.

c) With the parameter /user <user xy> pocomail is starting normally for ANY user!

d) If I start pocomail with the parameter /user, first the 'Select User' window will appear. By selecting ANY user that way pocomail crashes too! (similar to b) above)

e) The use of the parameter /startin "d:\directory" did not change anything.

Conclusion: All the poco.ini files basically are working. The crash happens only when the user access occurs through the 'Select User' window, whatever the user may be.

As a 1st aid solution I created different shortcuts with the command line - poco.exe / user "<default user>" - to access the main user, - poco.exe / user "A" - to access user "A" etc... Interestingly I noticed that by trying to start 2 instances of pocomail that way in parallel the same crash happens!

If with these detailed explanations nobody is able to explain me where the problem is coming from I am going to submit the case with all the *.ini files to the helpdesk for investigation...

In any case I thank you very much Tomas for your help!!! :D
Raffael
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To