[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Quoting text in a reply

Quoting text in a reply

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Quoting text in a reply

Postby John Lewis » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:56 am

I used to be able to select the portion of text in a message that I wished to quote in my reply. This no longer works and I get the whole of the original message quoted in my draft reply.

Have I accidentally changed something? Can I get back to being able to quote part of a messgae, please?

Thank you for any help.

John
John Lewis
Poco Tourist

Postby luxor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:41 pm

Have a look in Options / Advanced.
Then in Sending mail select "Quote only selected text if selection present"

That should fix it I would think.
luxor
Resident Poster

Quoting text in a reply

Postby John Lewis » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:42 am

Thank you very much for that.

However, I do have: "Quote selected text only if a selection is present" ticked, and it has no effect - the whole message is quoted. In Options/Sending mail/Quoting text I have tried "Quote text when replying" not ticked and ticked to no effect.

Come to think of it I have "Insert quote character for replies" ticked and this, too, does not have any effect etither.

However "Enter new text BELOW quoted text" is ticked and does work. On the other hand I now realize that "Wrap quoted text after (characters)" is ticked, but is not working either.

Any other thoughts, please?

John
John Lewis
Poco Tourist

Postby luxor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:27 pm

On the other hand I now realize that "Wrap quoted text after (characters)" is ticked, but is not working either.

I'm unsure as to what the problem could be that is causing that. It could be that your poco.ini has got corrupted in some way.
You could try Eric's advice found elsewhere on this forum
Eric wrote:1. Close Poco first.
2. Rename poco.ini to poco_old.ini
3. Restart Poco now
Prior to renaming that file, it would be best to take screenshots of your Options or noting them down.

Hopefully that will fix your problem.

Luxor
luxor
Resident Poster

Quoting text in a reply

Postby John Lewis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:51 am

Luxor - thank you for your advice which was to follow Eric's elsewhere:

Eric wrote:

1. Close Poco first.
2. Rename poco.ini to poco_old.ini
3. Restart Poco now
Prior to renaming that file, it would be best to take screenshots of your Options or noting them down.

This brings up the reason (perhaps) for the problem.

Should I find poco.ini in folder C:\Program files\PocoMail, please?

The problem may be because the .ini file is not there, and running Poco.exe has not generated one.

What should I try next, please? Download a new copy of PocoMail from the web site and get it to load a new copy of Poco.exe into my existing folder - or get it to load Poco.exe etc into a new folder?

More advie would be appreciated!

Thank you for your help so far.

John
John Lewis
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:24 am

Hi John,

one of the possibilities why this wouldn't work is if for example you use reply templates, in that case template overrides Pocomail setup.

If you still have your current poco.ini please try to submit support request through menu Help > Email support.

If you'll decide to reset your configuration as above instead, also run through menu Help > Email support and in the report that will be generated find AppPath= line, it points to the location of poco.ini.
After deleting or better yet renaming poco.ini to pocoold.ini, you don't need to reinstall. Just start Pocomail, poco.ini will be created automatically.

Anyway, resetting configuration might help in some cases, but for example it will not help if it's caused by templates being used.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Quoting text in a reply

Postby John Lewis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:00 am

Thomas

Thank you.

That seems to be the answer - I had started to use a template for replies. I have deleted the template and now I can select the text I wish to quote.

For some reason my Poco seems to work without a "Poco.ini" file!

Best wishes

John
John Lewis
Poco Tourist

Quoting text in a reply

Postby John Lewis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:23 am

I have now found the poco.ini file, having done what Thomas suggested. It was in C:\Documents and Settings\.... which was not where I was looking (needless to say). I was looking in the C:\Program Files\PocoMail folder.

As it seems to be working properly, there seems to be no point in bothering the support section?

Thank you again.

John
John Lewis
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:35 am

You are welcome John.
Btw. you can continue using templates, it's just necessary to use appropriate tag somewhere in template:
%qbody% for quoted body
%body% for when you want the body quoted without quote characters
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To