[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - How to run filters at shutdown or startup?

How to run filters at shutdown or startup?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

How to run filters at shutdown or startup?

Postby stuart_rogers » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 am

My wife uses Pocomail and does not like having the filters to run when she downloads her mail, she likes everything in the inbox. What I want to do is to clean up at shutdown by running all the fliters to move stuff from the inbox to the correct folders at this time. Is this possible somehow?
Last edited by stuart_rogers on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart_rogers
Drop-in Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 am

You could add an OnQuit Event to run Incoming Filters.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby stuart_rogers » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:23 pm

chrisretusn wrote:You could add an OnQuit Event to run Incoming Filters.

Thanks for that... its perfect for what I need.....
stuart_rogers
Drop-in Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:24 pm

You are welcome. :)
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby stuart_rogers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:25 am

I have a problem with this, maybe I've missed it somewhere but how do I stop the incoming filters running when mail is downloaded so everything new stays in the Inbox until the program quits and runs my new OnQuit event?
stuart_rogers
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:06 am

I don't think that would work....filters work against currently processed messages or selected messages (not against folders for example). They have nothing to run against when the application is closing.

Filters could be copied from Incoming tab to tab 1 (right click and select copy), then whenever you need to clear the inbox, just press CTRL+A (to select all messages), then Ctrl+F5 to run filters from tab 1 manually. Not sure if it's the only way, but can't think of more at the moment.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Tomas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:07 am

stuart_rogers wrote:I have a problem with this, maybe I've missed it somewhere but how do I stop the incoming filters running when mail is downloaded so everything new stays in the Inbox until the program quits and runs my new OnQuit event?

You'd have to disable them in Incoming tab. Press Ctrl+A to select all, right click and select disable from the context menu.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby stuart_rogers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:34 am

Tomas you are correct the filters dont run.

This is a problem, my wife wants it all automated and I can see her point. Its not rocket science to get the computer to do the work for her. She wants all new messages in the inbox and when she has finished and closes the program she wants it to simply move them all to their relevant folders automatically, she does not see why she should have to remember to do this manually, this is why she has a computer to make life easy. I've tried suggesting that she does it manually but she's simply not interested. She says she will live with the 3000 messages in her inbox until I can fix this.
stuart_rogers
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:01 am

Next best thing I could think about, it's a bit cumbersome to setup, but you could use some keyboard macro software like http://www.autohotkey.com/.
Create a macro that emulates pressing Ctrl+A and Ctrl+F5. Compile it to exe.

Use menu Tools > Scripts, edit out currrent Calculator script (or create a new one based on it) so that it will not run calc.exe but your above created executable, and place in on the toolbar (Buttons tab of Scripts window, and through Tools > Customize, make sure the particular button you selected is set in customize window to be show on the toolbar).
Then she will only need to click on the toolbar button every now and then.
(I didn't test but I'm almost sure it wouldn't work with the OnQuit event, as while application is quitting the application window is no more available for such operations).

Not ideal either.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby MarkB » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:28 pm

Tomas wrote:(I didn't test but I'm almost sure it wouldn't work with the OnQuit event, as while application is quitting the application window is no more available for such operations).

You could try the OnStart event, maybe.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:20 pm

MarkB wrote:You could try the OnStart event, maybe.

That might work, under presuppositions that In folder will be loaded on start (that is usually so, or can be setup in options), and I guess there might be a need for the Authohotkey (or any other) macro to implement a short waiting time to wait for the application and folder to load.

But I'm not acquainted with exact implementation details, it can't be excluded either that GUI of Pocomail will only load after the OnStart event actions are finished...that could only be fully confirmed by testing.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby MarkB » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Alternatively, the shortcut that opens Poco could actually launch the AutoHotKey script, and AutohotKey in turn will open Poco, wait for it to receive focus, select the In box, etc.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Postby stuart_rogers » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:04 am

Thanks for the suggestion about OnStart but that does not work either, I tried both running Incoming Filters and Run a Specific Single Filter but neither work.
stuart_rogers
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:04 pm

stuart_rogers wrote:Thanks for the suggestion about OnStart but that does not work either, I tried both running Incoming Filters and Run a Specific Single Filter but neither work.

Suggestion from Mark to use OnStart filter, related to my suggestion to use Autohotkey script.

Otherwise OnStart event works the same way that OnQuit event does, ie. it doesn't work with filters.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby jbuk » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:53 am

Not sure if this is an acceptable solution but does she use New Mail ?
If so then the filters can run while downloading and she then has a day or two to process the new mails, all sitting in the new mail folder and which will be already filed/sorted into their destination folders which will be highlighted as having received new mail.

But something does not add up here. She has 3000 mails in her inbox. Unfiltered. So she is not filtering or sorting to other folders at the moment , but now wants it to happen every day automatically - i.e. without user intervention.
Why not make a start by selecting the oldest 500 emails and running the filters against them to start clearing the inbox.

Emails do need managing a bit, at the very least by deciding on a daily basis which ones to delete, mark to keep, reply to or highlight in some way.

Just my thoughts some of which might be helpful.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To