[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Sent mail in Draft folder

Sent mail in Draft folder

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby lvsunz » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:43 am

Sometimes when I send an Email, usually with Attachments, the mail ends up in the Draft folder. Actually I think this happens mostly when I try to Forward an Email with Attachments. And sometimes the forwarded Email gets sent but not with all Attachments, e.g.if the forwarded Email has six Attachments, maybe only four get sent. Would sure appreciate some help. Thank you.
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:24 pm

First thing happens when there was an error sending, in such case the message is at least saved to Drafts folder.
You probably have error notification disabled, still you can press F12 right after such issue and click on Log tab to see an error message.
Error notification can be enabled in Options, Interface Options, in Show Progress Window: on error.

Second issue, that's most probably only going on with certain types of inline images when message containing them is forwarded or replied to, it shouldn't happen with regular attachments. You can use Forward As Attachment as a workaround. It's due to limitations of current editor control used, I don't remember right now whether some improvement for handling these was added in the upcoming update, but for a full fix we'll have to wait for when new editor control is implemented replacing the current one.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby lvsunz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:16 am

Thank you Tomas.
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:07 am

First thing happens when there was an error sending, in such case the message is at least saved to Drafts folder.

I'm afraid that is not the whole story. Pocomail once had major problems in this area (namely, that a msg although actually sent did not have its temporary instance deleted from the drafts folder).

This behavior was reported as a bug some time ago; work was done on it by PSI; and most of the problem went away. However, the problem was never totally eliminated. One will still find undeleted copies of a msg after it has been sent without error. Under what circumstances this still occurs I have never been able to figure out......but I assure you it continues to happen.

P.S. Users should note that Pocomail periodically saves the compose window to the drafts folder whether you know it or not, or request it or not. It does this so that if your computer stops (or whatever) while you are composing a msg, you don't lose all your keystrokes. This is a good thing. The problem is that Pocomail is supposed to delete that copy once the msg is sent....that final step does not always occur.
Sandy

Postby lvsunz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:04 am

Thank you for the feedback Sandy. Being a relatively new PM user I was not aware of previous problems in this area. Hopefully the next release will completely resolve this 'nagging' problem.
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:01 am

I wouldn't hold my breath.
Sandy

Postby chrisretusn » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:34 pm

Does this sound like the problem you are having? This the text of a support ticket I submitted. I have seen this behavior when sending messages also.

I have noticed that when writing a new, reply, forward, etc., message if you change your mind quickly that you get an "Abandon this message? Close the window again to really close" prompt. This only happens if you make a change (makes sense) or an auto save has not occurred. If no changes then the window simply closes, no draft message is saved. No problem here.

If you take enough time in drafting the message and an auto save takes place, then you get another prompt, this time a dialog pop up. "This message was previously saved to draft. Do you want to save it to draft again? Answering no will destroy this message completely." Again no problem with this either.

Problem. If an auto save has taken place and no change has been made to the message since the auto save, when closing the window there is no prompt and a draft is left in the Draft folder.

If you make a change to the message after the auto save has taken place, you are prompted as described in my second paragraph above and is not a problem.

Once a draft has been created, if you close the message window without sending, queuing, saving to draft or save as, you should always be prompted.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby lvsunz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:25 am

Chris,

Not specifically my issue but I have seen this happen. I agree PM should notify you. I think the way it should work if mail is still in Draft PM should give you the option to Save or Delete.
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:02 am

Seems like you have put your finger on a "less than desirable" PM behavior in your support ticket.

OTOH, the important problem I have struggled with for years now (partially fixed since it used to be much worse) is the specific situation of a sent msg still being in the "Drafts" folder.

The reason I consider this the "important" problem is that other situations may be inconvenient, but this situation has the potential to mess up your email communication with another human being. When an email client bug actually harms human communication, that is the one sin that can't be forgiven IMHO.

The problem is that if you see a msg in the "Drafts" folder that *ought* to mean that the msg has not been sent for some reason. So now you know that the person you are attempting to communicate with has not gotten the msg. But as long as this bug exists in PM, one can not know if the msg was really sent or not. The msg may be in the "Sent" folder, and that would seem to indicate that the msg was sent, but was it really?? If it was really sent, then why is it still in the drafts folder? Should you send it again to be sure -- taking the risk of irritating your correspondant by sending multiple copies of the same msg?? Furthermore, and more insidious, which version of your msg got sent? Often the actual text of the msg in the "Sent" folder is not the same as the one left in the "Drafts" folder. Perhaps you edited out an unfortunate or embarrassing choice of words......which version did your recipient actually get??
Sandy

Postby lvsunz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:14 am

Couldn't agree with you more Sandy. This (apparent) 'bug' could cause a lot of 'human relations' problems. Sure hope the folks working on the next release/update realize the potential risk if this isn't fixed.
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To