[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Im unable to tabulate

Im unable to tabulate

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Im unable to tabulate

Postby wclemo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:50 pm

When i align figures and text to columns and rows in the new message window ,and in a table format (without using the table), they appear jumbled and mixed up when i send, or preview, or even when i do a print out. In the message window they appear well layed out and properly aligned, but they are mis-aligned when i send they mail.
wclemo
New Arrival

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:12 am

Yes, I think that there have been some inconsistencies within different areas of PocoMail about how many columns a tab character uses. More importantly, though, even if this were completely consistent within PM, you cannot reliably use the Tab key in email messages because a tab character could translate to a different number of column positions in other email programs and on other people's computers.

If you need formatted text and don't want to attach an MS Word document or something, I recommend that you (1) use a fixed-width font like Courier New and align the text with spaces instead of tabs, or (2) use a table, or (3) write a PocoScript that translates tabs to spaces (not easy) right before the message is sent.

You could also make an enhancement request in Bug Traction to have PocoMail automatically jump to the next tab column in the Composition Window whenever we press the Tab key (based on a user-defined value for the tabstops).
Pete

Postby robin » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:14 am

I can't seem to find how to add tables to a new message - the options seem to be greyed out for me in 3.1 . What am I missing (yes - I have got styled turned on)?
robin

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:47 am

The only way that I know how to create a table is by clicking on the table button on the formatting toolbar (you have to enable "View > Show Style Toolbar" in the Composition Window).

Assuming that you already knew that, I'm not sure what the problem could be. Which options are grayed out?
Pete

Postby robin » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:23 am

You can see that I have Styled turned on and the style toolbar showing and the table functions greyed out; therefore I am at a loss unless it is something really obvious and stupid.

Screenshot edited and returned (thanks Pete!)
Last edited by robin on Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
robin

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:57 am

Oh, you have to create the table first (and position the cursor
inside the table) before you can use the four buttons on the right.
The "create table" button is five buttons to the left of the four. :)
Pete

Postby robin » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:38 am

That's the information that I was looking for. Couldn't see it for looking :oops:
robin

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To